North Bay Battalion 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

190 is almost 206

Nov 11, 2022
I’ve slagged on the team a little for their lack of D zone focus. Since the mess in Sarnia they’ve really tightened up in their own zone. Most notably for me is Nelson, his defensive game has been the best it’s been in his time with the Troops.

Hopefully it continues in to the playoffs. Go Troops Go!!!

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Sabres and Canucks fan Coming in piece ,

Just curious , I have watched Josh Bloom on TV but never in person and I know a lot of Sabres fans including myself were quite angry they traded him . But I wanted to ask you die hard battalion fans that watch him

Does he have a shot at making the NHL as a bottom 6 power forward , he reminds me a lot of Nick Paul .

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
At least Bob didn’t announce Arnsby 5 for fighting AND 5 for fight-instigate upon....lol

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Re Josh Bloom; A Nick Paul comparison is nowhere close. Although a great skater and scorer, I'm not sure he's met his own goaltender in his own zone. A lightweight who doesn't like contact, IMO, I don't see him in the Bigs!!
I’m fairly confident not too many people would agree with your opinion. Brock Otten just wrote in his OHL Awards that he is the top penalty killer in the league. Then again everyone is entitled to their opinions

190 is almost 206

Nov 11, 2022
I’m fairly confident not too many people would agree with your opinion. Brock Otten just wrote in his OHL Awards that he is the top penalty killer in the league. Then again everyone is entitled to their opinions
Brock needs to watch more Battalion games. Perhaps Josh is a different player here than he was in Saginaw.
While he is a decent penalty killer there are at least 3 better on his own team.
#’s 11, 12 & 16.

Reactions: Samee987

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Re Josh Bloom; A Nick Paul comparison is nowhere close. Although a great skater and scorer, I'm not sure he's met his own goaltender in his own zone. A lightweight who doesn't like contact, IMO, I don't see him in the Bigs!!
Not a Paul comparable for sure. But that was needlessly harsh

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
NB 5 PBO 3

Some random notes and observations from Thursday’s game:

K-Mac was the obvious star of the show. I really like how he has “shortened his swing” (to use a baseball analogy), the puck is on and off his stick in a really short time. He might give up a small amount of velocity but the speed and surprise of the snap shot release more than make up for it.

Pasquale Zito – might have been his best game with the team that I have seen. His determination, puck pursuit and passing were outstanding. He was on and all over the puck during his time on ice. And Josh Bloom really rounded out the line.

Liam Arnsby – kudos to the Kap’n. He finally seems to be properly slotted as an all-purpose 3rd line centre, rather than a 2nd line play-driver. After scoring zero goals in 10 straight games, and 1 in 17, Arny now has 4G in the last 5GP, well done.

Owen VanSteensel – from the “beggars can’t be choosers” files, the OVS empty net goal was his first in 10GP and 2nd in 31 dating back to Dec. 28.

I’m a little curious at the lineup as the coach seems to favour 11F, 7D. While neither Wyatt Kennedy nor Jacob Therrien are difference makers, I would think the opportunity to have 4 compete lines including Therrien might outweigh the chance to give Kennedy a few shifts a game.

It didn’t look like Dalyn Wakely was himself last night. He just didn’t look fully engaged and I noticed Romani replaced him on the K-Jack / Ertel line on several occasions. Wakely missed the previous game and maybe he isn’t fully recovered from whatever kept him out.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
As at noon today unsold tickets were about 800, meaning attendance should be in the 3400 or more range. This will be 3 3000+ crowds in a row. In this market it is significant and might be the first time in several seasons.
Awesome. Hopefully translates into increased season ticket sales

Reactions: SeniorJuniorFan

Poster man

May 5, 2015
Ontario
Anyone have an update on K-Mac leaving today’s game with apparent injury?
Sure hope all is well, as the post game articles are not saying.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Anyone have an update on K-Mac leaving today’s game with apparent injury?
Sure hope all is well, as the post game articles are not saying.
post game it was said MacDonald left the game after being cross checked in the 2nd period
if found, post the time please

Reactions: Poster man

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It may have occurred when Coughlan took his cross checking penalty. But not certain.

WJ
It might be, MacDonald was slow to get up. He did return to score a PP goal. I don’t remember him playing in the 2nd period.
Hopefully not a recurrence of back spasms that kept him out of the line-up for 20 games earlier in the season. That would be bad for both the Battalion & Wolves.

Last edited:

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Re: K-Mac

Just finished watching the replay of the game. He was driven head first into the boards with a cross check to the lower back with 7:00 remaining in the 1st period; scored PP goal with 5:00 remaining; on ice with 4:00 remaining; on ice with 1:00 remaining during a PK; on ice 2nd per. 18:00 to play on a PP; left ice on normal shift change 17:30 to play; camera scanned bench with 15:47 to play, McD was not on the bench; Wakely took his place with Bloom/Zito the rest of the way.

To this untrained eye his skating and puck handling post cross check all looked normal.

Reactions: Poster man
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad