North Bay Battalion 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The Hatcher brothers were nhl all-stars at times. My memory is Darian single-handedly made the centennials the OHL’s best defensive team. Berehowsky and Hatcher together owned the neutral zone

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
....not real confident in the scouting staff so picks are iffy at the best of times...recent history shows the scouting birds need a big upgrade...even a late pick like brazeau was recommended by a former player NOT scouts..hope Brazeau is kept..someone to enjoy on this team...

Not that the scouting was ever really good, but when Hook took over as director of scouting , selections in the early rounds really went down hill.
Blow it up and start over, from Butler down !!

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Just watching the Windsor game on the tube...are we really this bad??? The amount of prime scoring chances we allow is ridiculous!

Brandon Coe looks lost. I guess Butler has sucked the offensive life out of him!

Greatger

May 11, 2007
Just watching the Windsor game on the tube...are we really this bad??? The amount of prime scoring chances we allow is ridiculous!

Brandon Coe looks lost. I guess Butler has sucked the offensive life out of him!
Even Burghardt isn't playing the same game he did when he first got here. The announcers were saying (when they were talking about Butler), this could be the 1st season in Butlers 20th season with the Battalion that he could miss the playoffs. LOL Guess they didn't know he didn't make the playoffs last year EITHER. And they can blame the goaltending but that's not the only problem anymore, it's definitely a coaching situation here. It's no wonder Propp isn't in any rush to get back in the net. Very embarassing to say the least.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
Even Burghardt isn't playing the same game he did when he first got here. The announcers were saying (when they were talking about Butler), this could be the 1st season in Butlers 20th season with the Battalion that he could miss the playoffs. LOL Guess they didn't know he didn't make the playoffs last year EITHER. And they can blame the goaltending but that's not the only problem anymore, it's definitely a coaching situation here. It's no wonder Propp isn't in any rush to get back in the net. Very embarassing to say the least.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
...offense is anemic.....defense lost...backdoor back to back goals..Barrie/Windsor.....every team Batt play has better goaltending....every team has better looking/passing power play.....one step forward 2 back..there will be no worrying about world curling taking over playoff round ice....

Greatger

May 11, 2007
Even the Voodoo's are actively doing player improvement.

McKenzie ????????? = 6 goals/8 Assists in 20 Games
McMaster ????????? = 2 goals/10 Assists in 26 Games

Butler / Abbott ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Last edited:

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
Despite Butler's hashtag "never again", things are not looking good. If they were to miss the playoffs for a second consecutive season, I would expect major changes.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I know the buying thing was a joke but if I were Stan I'd be looking at some '99s right now and trying to upgrade--especially on the defense. One guy I'd be persistent on would be Fedor Gordeev from Flint. They're in sell mode for sure and we have a good trading relationship with them over the years. Offering up guys like Chenier, Brown, Forhan might get them to consider it. We're pretty deep in '99s and 2Ks up front. We could definitely use a couple upgrades.

King - Vescio
Rose - Mailhot
Allair -

Spadafore
Lindeman
Porter
....?

D looks a little weak.

Last edited:

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'd also look for a good, cheap '98 a team was willing to part with on D since Burghardt and Brazeau are our only returning OAs next season on the roster currently. I wouldn't bother bringing back Potts.

Last edited:

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
When is Propp expected to play. Good sign he is on bench in back up role but doesn't even take many shots in warm up. Looks like that knee injury is worse than thought.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
I know the buying thing was a joke but if I were Stan I'd be looking at some '99s right now and trying to upgrade--especially on the defense. One guy I'd be persistent on would be Fedor Gordeev from Flint. They're in sell mode for sure and we have a good trading relationship with them over the years. Offering up guys like Chenier, Brown, Forhan might get them to consider it. We're pretty deep in '99s and 2Ks up front. We could definitely use a couple upgrades.

King - Vescio
Rose - Mailhot
Allair -

Spadafore
Lindeman
Porter
....?

D looks a little weak.
Why would North Bay be buying

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Why would North Bay be buying
Because they require players next season. They should be buying and selling. You saw that depth chart for next season's defense--they need to upgrade that pronto. The only movable pieces we have to sell off are Dineen, McKenzie and to a lesser extent, Kyle Potts.

Gordeev would a big minutes, top pair defenseman next season. We have the assets up front to throw at the Firebirds.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Because they require players next season. They should be buying and selling. You saw that depth chart for next season's defense--they need to upgrade that pronto. The only movable pieces we have to sell off are Dineen, McKenzie and to a lesser extent, Kyle Potts.

Gordeev would a big minutes, top pair defenseman next season. We have the assets up front to throw at the Firebirds.

Agreed. Except, Flint should not be giving up good players with 2-1/2 seasons left.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Agreed. Except, Flint should not be giving up good players with 2-1/2 seasons left.
Technically one. Next year is his 19 year old season and he's a Toronto draft pick. Unless his developmemt falls off the rails, I think he gets signed by Toronto.

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
3 roadie points out of a possible 6 this weekend against some very good Western Conference teams - that's certainly a respectable effort.

Reactions: too_long

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
3 roadie points out of a possible 6 this weekend against some very good Western Conference teams - that's certainly a respectable effort.
Yes Bats played well (even though we're arch rivals). That top line is a handful. London's young defence coughed up the puck routinely and struggled with the size of the team. Burghardt is an excellent player. What a steal in the 6th round for Guelph. What did you guys give up for him, is he 19? What are his chances of coming back? Anyway I think the Bats are better than their record but so are the Wolves with a healthy lineup though they may be younger.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Re: Luke Burghardt Acquisition

To Guelph: 4th yr. F Zac Poirier (2G, 4A, 6 Pts., just finishing annual 10 game suspension) plus OA D Mark Shoemaker (0G, 1A)

To NB: 4th yr. F Luke Burghardt (11G, 15 A, 26 Pts. In 28 GP, previous high 33 Pts. In 62 GP) plus 2nd yr. F Luke Moncada (4G, 5A 9 Pts. in 28 GP).

In the interest of fair reporting, it should be noted 6 of Luke B’s goals came in the first 3 games, then 13 games in a row without. It would be great to see him back here as an O/A.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Re: Luke Burghardt Acquisition

To Guelph: 4th yr. F Zac Poirier (2G, 4A, 6 Pts., just finishing annual 10 game suspension) plus OA D Mark Shoemaker (0G, 1A)

To NB: 4th yr. F Luke Burghardt (11G, 15 A, 26 Pts. In 28 GP, previous high 33 Pts. In 62 GP) plus 2nd yr. F Luke Moncada (4G, 5A 9 Pts. in 28 GP).

In the interest of fair reporting, it should be noted 6 of Luke B’s goals came in the first 3 games, then 13 games in a row without. It would be great to see him back here as an O/A.
Thanks. Well he looks really good out there this year and would make an excellent OA.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Apologies for mis-statement on my part. Should read annual suspension, I believe only 2 have been 10 gamers.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Speaking of Poirier...after serving a 10 game suspension for a 'checking to the head major' in October, it seems he has picked up another
'checking to the head major' last nite!! Wonder how many games he will get for this? That is at least 3 that I can remember. Just not getting the message.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Speaking of Poirier...after serving a 10 game suspension for a 'checking to the head major' in October, it seems he has picked up another
'checking to the head major' last nite!! Wonder how many games he will get for this? That is at least 3 that I can remember. Just not getting the message.
Not that I know much about his development from early on, but it seems that Poirier might've been an example of a guy who used an early growth spurt to his advantage and ultimately failed to grow the other aspects of his game seeing by his inability to own at this level. That trade just keeps getting better and better. With Brazeau and Burghardt poised to return as OAs next season, we may be in for our best crop since the Goodrow year.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
With all the goal tender issues since smitty left, you gotta wonder how Colton Point gets drafted to Erie and the Troops don't draft him ?
Played midget right in their back yard @ West Ferris , a good 6 min drive from Master Butlers office. Not saying he ever would have reported , but at least take a damn flyer on him from round 10 to 15 . Just another head scratcher from the scouting staff ( or lack) of it.
Hockey Canada thinks he is top 4 in all of the Country. Impressive !!

North Bay product to vie for spot on Canada’s World Junior team - BayToday.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad