Nonis is "appalled" by Finns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phanuthier*

finska said:
Hey, Jere Karalahti decided to take the Finnish league over the NHL cause he liked to drink a lot.
:yo:
Great. Theo Fleury is in Ireland too. I guess the NHL doesn't know what they're missing out on. How can the NHL ever compete with Ireland for Theoren Fleury's services?

thebodyczech

Dec 5, 2005
We would think that there's enough drama in the world with soap operas and Oprah. But no. We still have that urge to mix Days of Our Lives with hockey. Unreal.

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
Phanuthier said:
Great. Theo Fleury is in Ireland too. I guess the NHL doesn't know what they're missing out on. How can the NHL ever compete with Ireland for Theoren Fleury's services?

Well there was something good that came of that... Now I know that there's a hockey league in Eeirlend.

:amazed:

BCCHL inactive

gozar said:
Do you know that for a fact? I've heard it's on the players responsibility to inform their teams. :dunno:

There is no written rule on this. It's just common sense. Your payed employee is servicing another team. There is no reason for Finland to not contact the Canucks, and there is especially no reason for the Canucks to not be able to contact Finland.

Think about Dave Nonis' day yesterday. First he loses Ohlund. Next, Salo goes down, and they can't get word from Finland about the extent of his injury. Even if Finland doesn't know, the line of communication must be open.

psycho_dad said:
If I was the head coach or GM of team finland, I would let the canucks GM know "Hey, Salo is injured, we will let you know when we know more" and inform them when we knew more.

Van said:
Just because they don't know the seriousness doesn't mean they can't contact Nonis to let him know. Like I said, it's all about communication. It cannot be that hard to call the Canucks and tell them they will update him when they know more. It is a national team's duty to update their players' clubs if their status is in question. The clubs are the teams who pay these guys to play.

psycho_dad said:
And obviously that is the case here, since Nonis is aware of his injury enough to whine about it in the media. He has been told what there is to know. What is the problem? When there is more info, he will be told naturally. But the way you make it sound, team finland should make it their first priority to ease the curious mind of Nonis by updating him even when there is nothing to report about.

Dave Nonis was told nothing by the Finnish Federation. A media release does not constitute being notified. If an NHL GM is trusting media releases, he shouldn't be a GM.

SopelFan said:
If the elbows are down, it isn't from behind and it is shoulder contact, I have no problem with a hit at all.

It was a check to the head, which is against IIHF rules. One can only hope the NHL adopts this rule.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
finska said:
Hey, Jere Karalahti decided to take the Finnish league over the NHL cause he liked to drink a lot.
:yo:

Karalahti chose SM-Liiga over the NHL because he would have had to endure a 6 month anti-drinking programme run by Christians.

Jere, not being that religious, failed to see the point of a programme with such religious overtones to it.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
"Canucks medical trainer Mike Burnstein was contacted by the Finnish Federation informing of Salo's status but Nonis has yet to hear from the Federation. :cry: "

I think people are missing the point here. The Canucks have been informed. I don't see a problem there. The Finnish ice hockey federation is probably wondering who the hell this Nonis guy is :p:

Flonaldo

Van said:
There is no reason for Finland to not contact the Canucks, and there is especially no reason for the Canucks to not be able to contact Finland.

Dave Nonis was told nothing by the Finnish Federation.

It was a check to the head, which is against IIHF rules. One can only hope the NHL adopts this rule.
And Finland has contacted the Canucks staff. If Nonis is upset that he wasn't called but someone else in the organization, isn't that just a pissing contest. From the Finnish standpoint: they got someone from Vancouver on the line, told them how it was and... what do you want them to do after that when they have no further info?

There's 10(?) hours time difference. Finland has practices, team meetings, press conferences etc. etc. It's not like they're available for Nonis 24/7.

IIHF rules state that a check to the head is when a player hits an opponent in the head. No part of Ruutu's body ever even grazed Jagr's head, that's evident from the video. And yes, you can go on about boarding, charging and whatever you wish but no elbows, no hit to the head, not from behind.

Towelie*

What the hell are you fins smoking? In todays world we have witnessed a growing commodification of labor, at it is no different for Hockey players. Sami Salo is a commodity. The Vancouver Canucks do in affect own Salo's services. The Canucks are lending him to Finland. Finland should be appreciative - the Canucks are actually paying Salo while he is playing for Finland. The Canucks have every right to know how Salo is doing. This is serious for Nonis because of temporal issuess. What if Salo plays whilst injured and gets more injured? Can you now see why he needs to be completely informed.

Millions of dollars are at stake for the Canucks - Zero for the fins.

NHL luck to have such good players in there ranks? Shut up. We pay them millions of dollars. Its not like we get them for free.

And Metallian - Simple stunning. The epitamy of nonsense.

Pica

Jan 4, 2006
Flonaldo said:
And Finland has contacted the Canucks staff. If Nonis is upset that he wasn't called but someone else in the organization...

I guess Canucks mail pigeon was havin lunch and Nonis mail delivery was delayed :sarcasm:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Comfortably Numb said:
What the hell are you fins smoking? In todays world we have witnessed a growing commodification of labor, at it is no different for Hockey players. Sami Salo is a commodity. The Vancouver Canucks do in affect own Salo's services. The Canucks are lending him to Finland.

This, of course, is a bunch of nonsense, because the right of players to participate in the Olympics regardless of what their NHL team thinks is a right which they won in collective bargaining.

Towelie*

All it would have taken to please Nonis is the Finnish Coach inviting Randy Nonis over to Torino to enjory a cheeseburger while giving him the news.

A bloched oppurtunity by Finland really. I bet Randy Nonis is more upset about missing out on a cheeseburger then the delayed injury update.

Towelie*

Epsilon said:
This, of course, is a bunch of nonsense, because the right of players to participate in the Olympics regardless of what their NHL team thinks is a right which they won in collective bargaining.

Good point. But whats the fine print on if they are allowed to play while injured? Then it becomes more blurry. I would think the NHL team would have a right to check out Salo with there own doctors?

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
What on earth? People are still whining "BUT THEY ARE OBLIGATED TO CONTACT CANUCKS!!". Well shiiiiite....here's a newsflash...they HAVE contacted the canucks, if Nonis can't ask his own medical staff then he can simply f**k off. Finland has done everything they should have. Salo got injured, they informed the canucks. If this Nonis guy has a problem about who answers the phone, then that definitely is a pissing contest.

If you want to talk about medical issues, you contact...*drumroll*... A DOCTOR! Since they have better understanding over medical issues and terminology. The medical staff are paid (by the canucks organization) to keep players as healthy as possible and determine whether players are able to play or not...and then report to the GM.

Some people here dont even stop to think "What am I whining about" because someone in an article said Nonis is appalled by Finns. These fans automatically assume Finland has done something wrong, when in fact Nonis is failing to communicate with his medical staff.

Dec 29, 2004
Well, I can understand Nonis freaking out... he just possibly lost his top pairing (?)... close to the trade deadline... in a hotly contested conference. Fear that.

I hope Salo is ok. From what I saw of the Finnish games, he was playing extremely well prior to the injury. :dunno:

Flonaldo

Comfortably Numb said:
What the hell are you fins smoking?

The Canucks have every right to know how Salo is doing.

Millions of dollars are at stake for the Canucks - Zero for the fins.
Just plain old cigarettes. Maybe I'll try some of what you're having, it seems to be doing a better job of messing up your head...

Yes, the Canucks have the right to know.

And, as strange as it seems, the Finns have told them. Gasp! They've contacted the Canucks trainer and told them of Salo's situation! How appalling... (this of course was evident in the original article if you bothered to read it).

How are millions of dollars at stake for the Canucks when Salo has a minor injury, day-to-day? How will the gain or lose millions?

No dollars in play for the Finns but an Olympic gold medal.

Joretus

So ppl are whining about finnish not informing Vancouver, but they have. Should finnish team to call every possible person involved in Vancouver Canucks? I mean if it isn't enough that they have called to MEDICAL trainer who should be of course be the guy who is making decisions and informing team GM about medical case, what is?

Joretus

Van said:
.Dave Nonis was told nothing by the Finnish Federation. A media release does not constitute being notified. If an NHL GM is trusting media releases, he shouldn't be a GM.

Well his medical staff knows about Salo already, shouldn't they inform their GM or GM isn't answering their calls? What's enough then, calling 10 ppl involved, every coach, trainer, doctor, gm, assist gm and pr person who are in Canucks paylist?

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Resolute said:
Only in Vancouver is charging the width of the ice to hit a player from behind clean.

Leave it to a Calgary fan to comment a hit without even seeing it.

Watch the video again. Jagr was hit directly from side and Ruutu didn't kick extra speed before the hit.

Learn the rules.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Phanuthier said:
I applaud the Finns for gaining the confidence of NHL teams to send their stars to play for them, and trust them to deal with their star players health in a professional manner.

Great hockey country, but they're really not doing very much to their players at all.

What the hell are you talking about??

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Van said:

VAn, for a one who likes people to think you're a referee yourself, you really should learn the rules better.

That hit was *NOT* a hit to the head, proven by the all the video angles of the hit.

I suggest you pay some extra attention.

About the communication between Team Finland and Dave Nonis...

Nonis is being an idiot here, his medical staff was informed about the injury because the Canucks medical staff knows the latin-mumblejumble better than Dave Nonis. Nonis should blame his medical staff not informing him instead of blaming Team Finland. I can understand his reaction though, he lost his top2 d-man and is probably too distressed to think clearly.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Pepper said:
Nonis is being an idiot here, his medical staff was informed about the injury because the Canucks medical staff knows the latin-mumblejumble better than Dave Nonis.

would have been fun though if a doctor called Nonis and went on like (just random keystrokes, no words..but this is what it would sound like to Nonis)

"Well Salo has a ejlhfeilq qepihiqfheiew in his ohewffehq and ljfhqe."

Nonis: "Say WHAT???? ummmm.....these go to eleven"

Then he would go silent, then hang up the phone in confusion. :biglaugh:

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Phanuthier said:
I applaud the Finns for gaining the confidence of NHL teams to send their stars to play for them, and trust them to deal with their star players health in a professional manner.

Great hockey country, but they're really not doing very much to their players at all.

What on earth are you trying to say with this? :help:

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
psycho_dad said:
would have been fun though if a doctor called Nonis and went on like (just random keystrokes, no words..but this is what it would sound like to Nonis)

"Well Salo has a ejlhfeilq qepihiqfheiew in his ohewffehq and ljfhqe."

Nonis: "Say WHAT???? ummmm.....these go to eleven"

Then he would go silent, then hang up the phone in confusion. :biglaugh:
:biglaugh: I was just about to post a similar post. :D

In all seriousness, I think the right person to inform is someone from the teams medical staff by a Team Finland medical staff. In this case there is no misunderstanding and Salo's medical situation is known in Vancouver Canucks' organization. I also think that Nonis is just pissed that A) His team lost two key players during this Olympic tournament (which added a fuel to his meaningless rant) and B) Team Finland GM Jari Kurri did inform him personally but rather someone from Team Finland organization informed someone other than Nonis in Canucks' organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad