Nonis is "appalled" by Finns

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
Sarge , you have added sarcasm to your repertoire. Sweet.

It's all I've got.

Stupid flu!

(BTW - within every sarcastic comment, there is a bit of truth, though)

taunting canadian

Jan 3, 2005
From the article:
Canucks medical trainer Mike Burnstein was contacted by the Finnish Federation informing of Salo's status but Nonis has yet to hear from the Federation.

Why doesn't Nonis just ask his trainer what the Finns told him? Do they need to be told twice, or what? :dunno:

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Van said:
Just because they don't know the seriousness doesn't mean they can't contact Nonis to let him know.

To let him know what? That Salo is injured and they do not know more yet? He has already been informed that, so what else is there to inform before they get a medical report??

Like I said earlier, what else should they do? Call him every half an hour and say "We dont know yet"? If I was the head coach or GM of team finland, I would let the canucks GM know "Hey, Salo is injured, we will let you know when we know more" and inform them when we knew more. And obviously that is the case here, since Nonis is aware of his injury enough to whine about it in the media. He has been told what there is to know. What is the problem? When there is more info, he will be told naturally. But the way you make it sound, team finland should make it their first priority to ease the curious mind of Nonis by updating him even when there is nothing to report about.

They have bigger and better things to do. Nonis will be informed before tomorrows game, because before that they have to know if Salo can play or not.

What would he do with the information tonight anyway? If Salo is hurt, he wont play. If he feels he can play, he will play. It really is quite simple. Nonis being updated regularly would not change a thing.

SopelFan*

Nonis pays his salary. Technically he does have the right to know.

Liquidrage*

SopelFan said:
Nonis pays his salary. Technically he does have the right to know.

Your confusing Salo with the Finnish Federation.

Nonis certainly doesn't pay their salaries. Nor does he own the player.

Technically, he has no rights. But Salo should want him to be informed to be a good Canuck. And Salo might have some contractual obligations even.

But the Finnish Federation isn't owned for or paid by Nonis. They have no obligation to him.

You're treating Salo like a borrowed video game. He isn't. He's just as much a Finn, even more so really, then he is a Vancouver Canuck. You could just as easily say that the Canucks borrow him from the Finnish Federation. But in reality, neither is correct. He is an adult. He should go and do what he wants. And neither entity has any rights to him beyond what he gives them by his own choice.

And overall, I just don't trust him in this regards. The GM's have made such a huge stink about players going to the Olympics and playing for their country that it doesn't shock me when we read things like, "Canucks medical trainer Mike Burnstein was contacted by the Finnish Federation informing of Salo's status" while a GM complains about not being contacted.

lennie

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Liquidrage said:
Your confusing Salo with the Finnish Federation.

Nonis certainly doesn't pay their salaries. Nor does he own the player.

Technically, he has no rights. But Salo should want him to be informed to be a good Canuck. And Salo might have some contractual obligations even.

But the Finnish Federation isn't owned for or paid by Nonis. They have no obligation to him.

You're treating Salo like a borrowed video game. He isn't. He's just as much a Finn, even more so really, then he is a Vancouver Canuck. You could just as easily say that the Canucks borrow him from the Finnish Federation. But in reality, neither is correct. He is an adult. He should go and do what he wants. And neither entity has any rights to him beyond what he gives them by his own choice.

And overall, I just don't trust him in this regards. The GM's have made such a huge stink about players going to the Olympics and playing for their country that it doesn't shock me when we read things like, "Canucks medical trainer Mike Burnstein was contacted by the Finnish Federation informing of Salo's status" while a GM complains about not being contacted.

Dave Nonis unlike some GM's has been a big supporter of NHL participation in the Olympics. He (Nonis) has always maintained NHL Players competing in the Olympics was important for the growth of the game.

Even after Salo & Ohlund were injured he maintained this position. Your way off base on your comments. :madfire:

Falloooooon

Nov 11, 2004
I thought this was going to be about Nonis being appalled at the conduct of players on the Finnish team...like Ruutu.

SopelFan*

Falloooooon said:
I thought this was going to be about Nonis being appalled at the conduct of players on the Finnish team...like Ruutu.
Throwing clean hits and playing with an edge?

Liquidrage*

lennie said:
Dave Nonis unlike some GM's has been a big supporter of NHL participation in the Olympics. He (Nonis) has always maintained NHL Players competing in the Olympics was important for the growth of the game.

Even after Salo & Ohlund were injured he maintained this position. Your way off base on your comments. :madfire:

Well, then maybe he should add his own medical staff to his address book before publically ripping the Finnish national team federation thingy.

SopelFan*

Nonis seems "appalled" not because they HAVE to tell him, but because they didn't choose to. Just because someone doesn't have to do something, it doesn't mean it isn't nice to do it anyways.

SopelFan*

Liquidrage said:
Well, then maybe he should add his own medical staff to his address book before publically ripping the Finnish national team federation thingy.
Put yourself in his position. He's mad because they took so long to make contact with someone who he is paying. Not everything has to be a legal obligation in order for it to be the right thing to do. He just wants to know how Salo is doing and even stated that it was up to Salo whether he can stay or not.

You're making him sound like such an *******, when he hardly is doing anything at all.

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
Falloooooon said:

I thought the exact same thing, but then again, why would he be appaled by a player that does the same job for his team. I'm sure he has a woodie for Ruutu's style of play.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
SopelFan said:
Throwing clean hits and playing with an edge?

Only in Vancouver is charging the width of the ice to hit a player from behind clean.

Put yourself in his position. He's mad because they took so long to make contact with someone who he is paying. Not everything has to be a legal obligation in order for it to be the right thing to do. He just wants to know how Salo is doing and even stated that it was up to Salo whether he can stay or not.

You're making him sound like such an *******, when he hardly is doing anything at all.

Now this I agree with. But what do you expect? The Finns here have spent weeks on this forum demonizing anyone who doesnt think their country or their national team is the the single most important thing on earth. :rolleyes:

SopelFan*

Resolute said:
Only in Vancouver is charging the width of the ice to hit a player from behind clean.
Not to get into this, but it wasn't from behind at all.

If the elbows are down, it isn't from behind and it is shoulder contact, I have no problem with a hit at all.

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
lennie said:
Dave Nonis and the Vancouver Canucks have every right to know every detail of Salo's injury.

It's about the FIN mentality too.

I had an accident with my Suzuki1100R on the highway a little
over a year ago, on my wife's birthday. Crashed into a car and
broke my neck. So I called her from the hospital but didn't tell
anything about where I was or about the accident (my wife lives
in FIN and I'm in BEL), just sent my blahblah for the occasion.

I only told her about what happened three days later when the
docs told me that I have fractures in my neck, but I'll live and
be able to walk again and she didn't have to worry about it.
Otherwise she would have worried about it for several days in vain.

Salo is a part of team FIN during the OGs, not the VAN Canucks.
He's as determined as the rest of the team and don't want to
to make statements or announcements about injuries before
docs have given their opinions. It's also for limiting any fuzz
that could arise from the outside and cause disturbance in
the concentration of the team.

Nonis will get a full report in due time, if he already hasn't.

Last edited:

Liquidrage*

SopelFan said:

It seems that his medical staff was informed. Is there some protocal the Finns broke before he started whinning that you know of?

If he wants to know how Salo is doing maybe he should ask his own medical staff, apparently they were contacted.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
psycho_dad said:
Canucks knew he got hurt, otherwise this article would not exist. So they have been informed he is hurt, just not how badly. Maybe because they don't know it yet. Are you guys seriously suggesting that Westerlund would be calling Nonis every half an hour for an update, saying "we still do not know", while he is preparing for the olympics semifinal game which comes up tomorrow?

They have been informed that he is hurt. They will be informed how badly. What on earth is the problem?

"OMG OMG TEAM FINLAND DID NOT PUT UP A 24/7 HOTLINE FOR VANCOUVER GM, INSTEAD THE ******** ARE PREPARING FOR SOME MEANINGLESS GAME AND ONLY UPDATING WHEN THEY GET NEW INFO!!"

:shakehead

Didn't occur to anyone that Team Finland might want to keep their lineup a bit of a secret for tomorrows game??

If the guy is hurt and does not want to play, nobody will force him to.

It's called a professional courtesy. Nonis isn't going to run his yap about the severity of the injury.

Phanuthier*

I applaud the Finns for gaining the confidence of NHL teams to send their stars to play for them, and trust them to deal with their star players health in a professional manner.

Great hockey country, but they're really not doing very much to their players at all.

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
Phanuthier said:
I applaud the Finns for gaining the confidence of NHL teams to send their stars to play for them, and trust them to deal with their star players health in a professional manner.

Great hockey country, but they're really not doing very much to their players at all.

?? I think the NHL is lucky to have such good players in their ranks. These are the players that make hockey exciting and tickets sell. Don't make it look like they should be on their hands and knees thanking the NHL to be playing there.
After all, there are many other leagues that are starting to compete with the NHL, players are already skipping to other leagues.

Phanuthier*

finska said:
?? I think the NHL is lucky to have such good players in their ranks. These are the players that make hockey exciting and tickets sell. Don't make it look like they should be on their hands and knees thanking the NHL to be playing there.
After all, there are many other leagues that are starting to compete with the NHL, players are already skipping to other leagues.
Which? Camron Mann? Stephane Julien? OH NO!

I personally think they should be on their hands and knees doing something else for the NHL being there.

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
Phanuthier said:
Which? Camron Mann? Stephane Julien? OH NO!

I personally think they should be on their hands and knees doing something else for the NHL being there.

Hey, Jere Karalahti decided to take the Finnish league over the NHL cause he liked to drink a lot.
:yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad