Confirmed with Link: Nonis, Horachek, Spott, Scouts fired. Dubas and Hunter to act as Interim GMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Ive had enough of mediocrity (well, even achieving mediocrity would have been nice, actually). Its time to move this thing in the proper direction. Nothing has been up to par. Professional scouting. Amateur scouting. Coaching. Conditioning. Development. Training. NOTHING. Today was such a glorious day, because whatever and whoever we end up with cant be worse then what we have endured.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I've heard Anthony Belza has also been fired. Can anyone confirm?

Mckenzie said the strength and conditioning coach was let go. But not by name. I don't know of anyone other than Belza that fits that description. I would be happy if Matt Nichol returns to the Leafs.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Belza is still listed on the team page, while the other major guys who were let go have been removed from it.

Perhaps tweeting one of the beat guys will get you an answer? Some of them will respond once in a while.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I've heard Anthony Belza has also been fired. Can anyone confirm?

TSN article mentions it.

http://www.tsn.ca/shanahan-s-new-gm-must-align-with-leafs-vision-1.255117

And it was most certainly the case today - on Sunday, Bloody Sunday in Leafland - when Shanahan effected an organization-wide purge, starting with Nonis, interim head coach Peter Horachek, the entire coaching staff ,as well as the strength and conditioning coach, video coordinator and a phalanx of pro and amateur scouts.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Belza is still listed on the team page, while the other major guys who were let go have been removed from it.

Perhaps tweeting one of the beat guys will get you an answer? Some of them will respond once in a while.

They only removed the major guys. Didn't remove scouts or Belza.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Mckenzie said the strength and conditioning coach was let go. But not by name. I don't know of anyone other than Belza that fits that description. I would be happy if Matt Nichol returns to the Leafs.

Or Gary Roberts.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
people seriously need to stop mentioning Gary Roberts as our strength/conditioning coach. he has his own business, and is opening up this thinger in Pennsylvania that he goes to one week a month and he was super excited about it. I don't think he'll want to be tied down to one team.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
people seriously need to stop mentioning Gary Roberts as our strength/conditioning coach. he has his own business, and is opening up this thinger in Pennsylvania that he goes to one week a month and he was super excited about it. I don't think he'll want to be tied down to one team.

Hey, one can hope. He'd be good here and I'm sure we'll try to bring him here. If he doesn't want to, he doesn't want to. Until then, he's still my number 1 there.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I'd be a little cooler about it if it were able to be a 2016 3rd, with us not having a 2nd, to not pick for 2 whole rounds would be bad. I am sure at this point Mark Hunter wouldn't be keen on that either.

We'll see what happens though. I think this exceeded my expectations in terms of an organizational change. I don't think anyone expected 20+ people were getting fired today.

For the people who survived the purge, you can bet they are going to work their *** off to stick around. No more free pay check, we actually have competent people in the organization who are going to look at other's work and judge their capabilities based on said work.

i think it would be a 2nd or 3rd within 3 years. so...we could give up 2018's pick per se.

Whoever coaches this team in the next few years will never see a playoff game. It's just how it works. This is going to be painful for awhile unless we suddenly get a wave of players in who actually care about their level of play.

i know. :)
Futa for the GM position though, not coaching, fyi.

for a coach, i want a respectable teaching type coach

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Mckenzie floating the Futa idea is interesting. He would have the clout and security in his rep to work with Shanahan, Hunter and Dubas.

Whoever comes in here, must be at least secure with the reputation Shanahan now has of dismissing people.

I haven't seen dismissals like this since the Ballard days.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Why did you focus on the top 2 picks? If you're going to put some work into it, try not to come to a resolution before trying to solve a problem.

You also forgot to name Kessel in a few of those trades.

I thought the Kessel trade would've been obvious. :D

Anyway, I focused on the top two rounds because that's really where the "hay is made is made" in terms of getting impactful NHLers. It wasn't to provide reasoning for the moves, But to get to the nuts and bolts of what Morrison and co. have actually had to work with.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

Maybe they fired the person that updates their webpage.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Ive had enough of mediocrity (well, even achieving mediocrity would have been nice, actually). Its time to move this thing in the proper direction. Nothing has been up to par. Professional scouting. Amateur scouting. Coaching. Conditioning. Development. Training. NOTHING. Today was such a glorious day, because whatever and whoever we end up with cant be worse then what we have endured.

Exactly. Id argue that Edmonton is the ONLY team thats had as poor a decade as we have. We've had zero top 2-3 picks and zero playoff appearances over a full 82 game schedule. You could replace our management/scouting with almost any others in the entire league, and it would be an upgrade.

Factor in "bang for your buck". If we have the highest paid scouting staff in the league, I fully expect to be a top ~5-10 team at drafting, not right near the bottom. We've produced exactly zero proven NHLers outside of the 1st round in the last half dozen years. Most teams have ~2-4+ guys, and many teams have produced emerging studs with those later picks like Stone, Palat, Gibson/Anderson, Faulk, Toffoli, etc.

We havent produced an NHLer outside the 1st since Hayes (2008), who of course we traded away.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Exactly. Id argue that Edmonton is the ONLY team thats had as poor a decade as we have. We've had zero top 2-3 picks and zero playoff appearances over a full 82 game schedule. You could replace our management/scouting with almost any others in the entire league, and it would be an upgrade.

Factor in "bang for your buck". If we have the highest paid scouting staff in the league, I fully expect to be a top ~5-10 team at drafting, not right near the bottom. We've produced exactly zero proven NHLers outside of the 1st round in the last half dozen years. Most teams have ~2-4+ guys, and many teams have produced emerging studs with those later picks like Stone, Palat, Gibson/Anderson, Faulk, Toffoli, etc.

We havent produced an NHLer outside the 1st since Hayes (2008), who of course we traded away.

I would hope that with new scouting, also comes better player development once the player hits our control. Hard to judge whether or not it's the players, or just ****** development on our end

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Hey, one can hope. He'd be good here and I'm sure we'll try to bring him here. If he doesn't want to, he doesn't want to. Until then, he's still my number 1 there.

Ever since his work with Stammer, there have been lots of reports of NHL teams asking Roberts to work for their team (including the Leafs) and then reported that Roberts doesn't want to work for 1 NHL team and prefers what he's doing with choosing his own players to participate from around the league.

Im on my phone so I can't get a link, but what Daisy has said has been reported and stated by Roberts and big name reporters (like McKenzie) before.

Edit: Should add that from all reports Roberts training isn't anything special and just focused on a proper diet (the Leafs would have dieticians for this anyways) and proper workouts (like pretty much all trainers know). Its up to the players to buy in and Stammer did such a good job there because he still follows the diet and is a gym rate. I actually think his success is more Stammer related than Roberts. Not that Roberts isn't a good strength coach, but the type of player is more important than strength coach IMO.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Mckenzie floating the Futa idea is interesting. He would have the clout and security in his rep to work with Shanahan, Hunter and Dubas.

Whoever comes in here, must be at least secure with the reputation Shanahan now has of dismissing people.

Dismissals like this were necessary because of the on ice results. Shanahan had no choice but to clean house.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I would hope that with new scouting, also comes better player development once the player hits our control. Hard to judge whether or not it's the players, or just ****** development on our end

True. But IMO the Marlies are a really well run organization. Constantly in the playoffs, usually winning their division, generally with a well respected coaching staff, and a strong focus on team defence. Theyre not the only piece to our player development, but theyre a big one.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
So think Shanny strips the "C" tomorrow off Phaneuf, or do they wait to try to trade him first?

Can't see under any circumstance he'll be back as captain next year.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
production wise, not what you really expect from a 1st and 2nd round pick.

His production at the Junior level was fine. Not sure what you're looking for. Kenny was maybe the hardest working heart and soul kid I've ever met. Played hard, would do anything for hist team.

Just didn't work out for him. Happens to most people.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Futa would be interesting.

But I do wonder if DL would be interested in the job, He's Bob Pulford son-in-law after all. There's a slight Leaf connection. :D

Mar 26, 2010
Dismissals like this were necessary because of the on ice results. Shanahan had no choice but to clean house.

Yes, but now that he has cleaned house with management, it is time to clean house on the ice. Starts with the good for nothing leadership, sense of entitlement, no heart players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad