Non-Hockey Sports Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Who were the injuries during the game? Nelson, A Jones, J Jones, R Rodgers, any others? Time to shut it down for the season with a lot of these guys. Just get the highest draft pick.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I dunno, the upper tier QBs can adjust their throws/timing to deal with bad conditions. Brady, Manning (Eli when he was younger, Payton wasn't good outside), Rothensburger, and Rodgers have all done very well in the cold (for current QBs). That is a lot of rings in those combined QBs, and every one of them is a HoF lock.

Even 2nd tier guys like Wilson and Dalton play well outside in bad conditions. Kapernick had the game of his life (used his legs a lot) in a Playoff game in similar conditions a couple of years ago.

Neither Keenum (could end up being a Dilfer type of SB winning QB) nor Hundley (not a good QB at all) could make those deep throws that would have broken the game open today.

I don't mind the Packers getting shutout today; they left at least a FG (maybe 2) off the board trying to go for a win.
Well, you're comparing Case Keenum to some of the best QBs to ever play football...

Case is a solid QB who's having a great year, but he's no Brady or Rogers. Not to mention, those guys have made a living playing in cold conditions. How many times has Keenum played a game where the temp was below freezing? I bet it's probably less than 5, in his entire life.

I don't think anybody expected Case to go sling it around the field and put up 40 points tonight.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
So multiple teams have called the league saying that Aaron Rodgers was not eligible for IR, and the Packers should be forced to be release him. In order to go back on IR, he would have needed to have suffered a new injury. Not being medically cleared for the Vikings game =/= suffering a new injury.

We all know the NFL isn't going to enforce it, but multiple teams have complained to the league wondering why they won't be forced to do that eventually.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think that rule is stupid. It was very clear that Rodgers wasn't 100% against the Panthers.

Link:
However, a source told ESPN that Rodgers wasn’t going to be medically cleared to play against the Vikings.

Dude was hit 12 times and sacked three times against Carolina.

Last edited:

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
I think that rule is stupid. It was very clear that Rodgers wasn't 100% against the Panthers.

Rule is there for a reason. If Rodgers wasn't healthy, then he shouldn't have come off of IR, if he was healthy enough to come off IR he shouldn't be able to go back on it when it is convenient to the team to be able to circumvent the roster limit (and save money on any bonuses for games played and such). If the Packers had won, Rodgers would have stayed off IR - he didn't go back on just because he's injured, he went back because they lost.

Rodgers obviously isn't going to be released, but the Packers should know the rules and be smart enough to just bench Rodgers instead of going on IR. They'll say he re-aggrevated the injury or something and avoid punishment, but it's not like this rule was some secret that ambushed the Packers.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don't know if I buy the bonuses argument. Games played bonuses usually require being on the field, not just on the roster. He would have just been left off the active roster without IR anyways. Circumventing the roster limit is a quality argument.

If the Packers had won last week, Rodgers would probably have played last night. If the Vikings played the same way (I think MN would have played better if Rodgers played) I think he'd have easily have beaten them.

Maybe he did aggravate his shoulder again. It's the excuse GB will use. The league could look into it if they wanted too. The medical records (x-rays and such) don't lie.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN

Link:

Dude was hit 12 times and sacked three times against Carolina.
Yes, but as I said in my post, not being cleared against the Vikings =/= new injury.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I don't know if I buy the bonuses argument. Games played bonuses usually require being on the field, not just on the roster. He would have just been left off the active roster without IR anyways. Circumventing the roster limit is a quality argument.

If the Packers had won last week, Rodgers would probably have played last night. If the Vikings played the same way (I think MN would have played better if Rodgers played) I think he'd have easily have beaten them.

Maybe he did aggravate his shoulder again. It's the excuse GB will use. The league could look into it if they wanted too. The medical records (x-rays and such) don't lie.
You can't aggravate a broken bone.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Rule is there for a reason. If Rodgers wasn't healthy, then he shouldn't have come off of IR, if he was healthy enough to come off IR he shouldn't be able to go back on it when it is convenient to the team to be able to circumvent the roster limit (and save money on any bonuses for games played and such). If the Packers had won, Rodgers would have stayed off IR - he didn't go back on just because he's injured, he went back because they lost.

Rodgers obviously isn't going to be released, but the Packers should know the rules and be smart enough to just bench Rodgers instead of going on IR. They'll say he re-aggrevated the injury or something and avoid punishment, but it's not like this rule was some secret that ambushed the Packers.
So I suppose it's not at all possible that Rodgers injured himself against Carolina, especially considering he took some big hits. I believe his last play of the game he took a huge hit from his blindside right before Allison fumbled the ball.

I do think there should be exceptions to the rule for positions that are not easily "covered" for. For example, let's say the Packers don't place Rodgers on IR and instead sit him on the bench, meaning Joe Callahan isn't signed back to be Hundley's backup. What happens if Hundley gets injured? Then Green Bay is forced to put in either a player that shouldn't be quarterback or a less than 100% superstar and risk another injury at the hands of the defense that injured him to begin with.
Yes, but as I said in my post, not being cleared against the Vikings =/= new injury.
It doesn't mean there wasn't a new injury either.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
So I suppose it's not at all possible that Rodgers injured himself against Carolina, especially considering he took some big hits. I believe his last play of the game he took a huge hit from his blindside right before Allison fumbled the ball.
The fact that they waited until after the MNF game, to confirm that they were out of the playoffs, makes it pretty blatant that there was no new injury.

Reactions: Wild11MN

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

I do think there should be exceptions to the rule for positions that are not easily "covered" for. For example, let's say the Packers don't place Rodgers on IR and instead sit him on the bench, meaning Joe Callahan isn't signed back to be Hundley's backup. What happens if Hundley gets injured? Then Green Bay is forced to put in either a player that shouldn't be quarterback or a less than 100% superstar and risk another injury at the hands of the defense that injured him to begin with.

It doesn't mean there wasn't a new injury either.
This is 100% on the Packers front office for not being smart enough to come up with any of the excuses you're talking about.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
The fact that they waited until after the MNF game, to confirm that they were out of the playoffs, makes it pretty blatant that there was no new injury.
Yup, he had some "soreness". They'll probably come out and say he has another one somewhere even if it's 100% false.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Geez, give the 49ers a decent QB and they are a decent football team.

I hope the Rams are playing for something and don't sit everyone, just to see how the 49ers stack up against them.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Philadelphia secures the 1 seed, but they struggled with Oakland tonight.

I don't even think they'll make it out of the divisional round. From a Vikings perspective, I would not be worried at all going to Philly for the NFCCG.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota

I don't even think they'll make it out of the divisional round. From a Vikings perspective, I would not be worried at all going to Philly for the NFCCG.

Agreed. Put any amount of pressure on Foles and he throws a duck.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Eagles without Wentz aren't the same team that ran over everyone else. Foles is an okay QB, but he's not a difference maker.

I don't see either the Vikings or Eagles having the advantage at Philly if it's cold.

Panthers are probably the worst team Philly could get in the 2nd round. Mobile QBs like Newton can really make a difference in a cold/bad weather game.

Rams (who I was down on earlier) vs Vikings should be a good game. Saints could give the Vikings a game too.

Seahawks are such a Jekyll and Hyde team, they could do some damage, or flame out.

I tend to pick the team with the better QB for Playoff games. Brees, Newton, Wilson/Ryan, Keenum, Foles with Geoff being an unknown/wildcard; is my rankings.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm watching the Navy bowl game right now. 11 mins left in the game and their stats line is 406 rushing yards, -5 passing yards (0-1 in pass attempts).

For the season their leading receiver has 14 catches for 381 yards. A combined 98 pass attempts, 42 catches, 1005 yds, 10 TDs, and 10 INTs for the season. Just odd stat line for the current college football game.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I'm watching the Navy bowl game right now. 11 mins left in the game and their stats line is 406 rushing yards, -5 passing yards (0-1 in pass attempts).

For the season their leading receiver has 14 catches for 381 yards. A combined 98 pass attempts, 42 catches, 1005 yds, 10 TDs, and 10 INTs for the season. Just odd stat line for the current college football game.

Gotta love the option lol. Navy has perfected that almost better than Georgia Tech has

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The best job to have is a college football head coach. Even if you get fired you get paid millions to sit at home and do nothing. Bret Bielema is getting $15.4m as a contract buyout.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Badgers' bowl game starts soon. I'm still annoyed they are playing Miami at their home stadium. With the exception of UCLA and the Rose Bowl (Big-10 vs Pac-10 Champs) there really shouldn't be any reason for a true home game for a Bowl. I'd also accept the National Championship game because that's predetermined on the location.

I'd feel the same way if UW was playing in the Frozen Feet Bowl (presented by Dr. Scholls) at Camp Randell.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
I'm starting to get a little nervous about Keenum going into the playoffs.

Past 3 weeks we haven't been hitting the intermediate throws all over the field.
Bengals it was dump off's to the wide open flat, Packers game was bad all around, and now this Bears game we are sustaining drives because of penalties and PI's on under thrown passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad