Non-Hockey Sports Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Not the most exciting game for you so far. :laugh:
Yeah the first half was a little slow, but we had fun. We had great seats, we actually sat behind Pat Shurmer's wife and family. They were really cool, we just had to watch what we said about the play calling and such :laugh:

They were REALLY trying to get everyone in the stadium, I suppose to make it look good for TV. The bars outside the stadium in the tailgate area closed like an hour and a half before the game started, and they started making announcements that you could buy beer in the stadium, haha.

It was a really cool experience! If the Vikings come back here in 3-5 years, I f see myself doing it again!

Wabit

May 23, 2016
This World Series is absolute bonkers. Unbelievable games.

I was going to watch the game, but I checked the score: 3-0 with Kershaw pitching for LA. I figured it was over, so I didn't bother. My mistake.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Yeah the first half was a little slow, but we had fun. We had great seats, we actually sat behind Pat Shurmer's wife and family. They were really cool, we just had to watch what we said about the play calling and such :laugh:

They were REALLY trying to get everyone in the stadium, I suppose to make it look good for TV. The bars outside the stadium in the tailgate area closed like an hour and a half before the game started, and they started making announcements that you could buy beer in the stadium, haha.

It was a really cool experience! If the Vikings come back here in 3-5 years, I f see myself doing it again!

Wow, that is a lot of dead time before a game. I couldn't imagine that going over well for a Badgers, Brewers, or Packers game in WI. How big of a deal is tailgating in England?

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Wow, that is a lot of dead time before a game. I couldn't imagine that going over well for a Badgers, Brewers, or Packers game in WI. How big of a deal is tailgating in England?
I think it's essentially non existant. Mainly because these stadiums are literally packed into neighborhoods. Like from the train station, you're walking through a residential area and then all the sudden, boom, stadium.

So there aren't big parking lots or anything to tailgate in. They had a makeshift one set up just outside the stadium with events going on, and a couple bars, but yeah they mainly wanted everyone to get in and drink inside the stadium.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think it's essentially non existant. Mainly because these stadiums are literally packed into neighborhoods. Like from the train station, you're walking through a residential area and then all the sudden, boom, stadium.

So there aren't big parking lots or anything to tailgate in. They had a makeshift one set up just outside the stadium with events going on, and a couple bars, but yeah they mainly wanted everyone to get in and drink inside the stadium.

So it's kind of like going to Wrigley for a Cubs game (minus the Wrigleyville area)? Tailgating does seem to be more of a US thing. I'm not sure many other cultures even know it's a thing.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Apparently there is a feeling amongst players that the WS balls are different. Shinier( perhaps a top coat to keep the logo intact longer?), and with a tendency to flatten out breaking pitches.

I've seen lots of ugly swings resulting in long balls being hit, and it seems like pitchers can't control their ball, or throw an effective slider. I think it's ridiculous baseball, myself. 5+ hour games? Really?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Apparently there is a feeling amongst players that the WS balls are different. Shinier( perhaps a top coat to keep the logo intact longer?), and with a tendency to flatten out breaking pitches.

I've seen lots of ugly swings resulting in long balls being hit, and it seems like pitchers can't control their ball, or throw an effective slider. I think it's ridiculous baseball, myself. 5+ hour games? Really?

I saw a lot of negative feedback about the balls too. Slippery is what I've read. Pitches can't get a good enough grip to throw their sliders. Verlander mentioned something about how they were harder to sign than normal, like a receipt at Starbucks and pen slipping.

The long games are at least interesting. Red Sox v. Yankees games that last forever and it'll end up a 3-2 game without any real action, just a bunch of pitching changes.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
The long games really are ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I just said the game was amazing last night, but it ended at about 1:45am eastern time last night. While I'm fine with the East Coast getting screwed for once, that's still just ridiculous for a game to end. It was almost 1am local time for the fans at the game in Houston.

As for the ball, something has definitely been up all year. It was odd that Puig got enough power to hit one out with basically one hand on the bat at contact.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
The balls are totally jacked - I totally believe that. If that means they are "shiny" or whatever the HR total is just absurd and I wouldn't for a second put it past the powers that be that it's a scheme to get more eyes on the TV.

That Springer HR that still hasn't come down - well I guess it was "just" a coincidence it hit a fireworks thingy and turned to dust. Ok. That dust still hasn't settled he creamed that thing so bad.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
And the time of the game - absolutely preposterous. Each team is literally using every arm in their respective pens. It's that, and then the pitchers themselves are becoming snails on the mound. Throw the damn ball.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
The balls are totally jacked - I totally believe that. If that means they are "shiny" or whatever the HR total is just absurd and I wouldn't for a second put it past the powers that be that it's a scheme to get more eyes on the TV.

That Springer HR that still hasn't come down - well I guess it was "just" a coincidence it hit a fireworks thingy and turned to dust. Ok. That dust still hasn't settled he creamed that thing so bad.

I've heard several MLB players come out this offseason saying the same thing. The Reds catcher even said that the MLB gave out info packets on how they "pick out" baseballs; Which I guess has never been done before.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
The Wolves are hunting for their first 4 game win streak tonight against 1-9 Dallas since 2012.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Timberwolves about to win 5 in a row for the first time since 2009. As someone who played basketball and grew up during the KG era, I'm so happy that the Wolves look to actually be improving and could be ending that playoff drought this season. The offseason acquisitions have been huge so far. Definitely happy to be wrong on Teague, Crawford has been good off the bench, Butler is the glue of this team.

Wish Bazz would not be so bad, though.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
NBA trades are weird. The Bucks just traded a conditional 1st rounder to the Suns, but the pick could happen between 2018 and 2021:
2018: 11-16 OA (Suns get the pick)
2019: 4-16 OA
2020: 8-30OA
2021: unprotected.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
So with Bradford on IR, and Teddy back activated, how good does Spielman look for not giving Bradford a contract? I remember some public pressure for us to sign Sam in the offseason.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
So with Bradford on IR, and Teddy back activated, how good does Spielman look for not giving Bradford a contract? I remember some public pressure for us to sign Sam in the offseason.
Bradford is quite easily the best of the three, but yeah... it's too bad he's almost never healthy. If Teddy's still in this team's plans, I don't see any way they bring Bradford back next year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's the small things, too, like when he received a short pass 4 yards short of the sticks and he deked out Norman to gain 5. Rudolph grabs a pass, then tippy toes to slow himself down before attempting to turn upfield, then goes down in a heap at first contact.

If Vikes had to choose between Diggs and Thielen, I don't know that they wouldn't pick the latter. Both are great, though.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
We've got ourselves a pretty good football team. Kendricks is a fantastic linebacker, the defense in general is really fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad