Non-Hockey Sports Thread XVI - Vikings Failure Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
This kid sounds like Byron Buxton to me...Great speed but average to below average bat.Speed means nothing if you can't get on base.

Not a great comp other than speed. He has all the tools to be an everyday SS and has super bat speed. He is, in my opinion, the best position player in this draft. Him or Gordon will be your future lead off hitter and I'd bet it's Lewis. This isn't strictly a money saving pick, it's a great pick for this team. McKay wanted to play 2 positions and the Twins didn't want that. McKay looks like an average lefty who tops out as a #3. He might be a little better than league average 1B. I don't like him as a prospect and am really glad we passed. Sure Greene is ultra talented but Lewis has the makeup to be far more impactful for this club in a position we haven't filled consistently since Gagne.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
That's it. Twins are "saving money" with this pick and hoping to "make a splash" at 35 and 37. So they are hoping guys will be there and doing it to save money up front. For me....that's the Pohlads being cheap as always.

They "save" the money on the #1 pick to spend on other picks, they'll still spend the money.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
The Twins have an opportunity to get Melendez or Adams with their next pick to solidify the C position as well. This leaves major options to "win" this draft hands down.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
They "save" the money on the #1 pick to spend on other picks, they'll still spend the money.

Maybe they will. I still do not and will not EVER trust the Pohlads to do what's best for this organization. They may get more players...but IMO they also are getting lesser players. You also appear to believe Lewis has way more upside than I do.

puckMAN

Dec 28, 2004
North St Paul
Not a great comp other than speed. He has all the tools to be an everyday SS and has super bat speed. He is, in my opinion, the best position player in this draft. Him or Gordon will be your future lead off hitter and I'd bet it's Lewis. This isn't strictly a money saving pick, it's a great pick for this team. McKay wanted to play 2 positions and the Twins didn't want that. McKay looks like an average lefty who tops out as a #3. He might be a little better than league average 1B. I don't like him as a prospect and am really glad we passed. Sure Greene is ultra talented but Lewis has the makeup to be far more impactful for this club in a position we haven't filled consistently since Gagne.
This definitely makes me feel better about the pick. Admittedly I didn't know anything about Lewis before 2 hours ago,I was just kinda going off what I thought I had heard during the draft broadcast.Who would you say he compares to?Maybe like a Nomar Garciappara with a little less HR pop?

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Maybe they will. I still do not and will not EVER trust the Pohlads to do what's best for this organization. They may get more players...but IMO they also are getting lesser players. You also appear to believe Lewis has way more upside than I do.

I truly do. The middle of the Twins infield is now solidified for the next 15 years. They're making the right moves. You build around defense and pitching. You don't need anything more than solid starters if your defense is tops in the MLB. You do need a solid bullpen however, and that's where I see the Twins building in this draft. If they can pull an MJ Melendez or Riley Adams plus a stack of future relievers, they're looking very good. Berrios has ace quality stuff, Gonsalves looks like he does as well and then you have Kohl Stewart and Tyler Jay lurking as well. I'm not worried about starters for the Twins, they need relief arms.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
This definitely makes me feel better about the pick. Admittedly I didn't know anything about Lewis before 2 hours ago,I was just kinda going off what I thought I had heard during the draft broadcast.Who would you say he compares to?Maybe like a Nomar Garciappara with a little less HR pop?

Crawford or Desmond are guys I say he'd play alot like. He'll hit more like Desmond did as a SS, but field as well as Crawford. The only reason I don't see him as the ultimate choice for future leadoff hitter is that we have Gordon.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Ranked 85th...take him at 37 and leave Carlson on the board. Like i said earlier...i don't trust this organization at all. What a ****ing joke.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
When they announced the pick live at target field tonight... nothing but crickets from the fans.

Later when they announced it early in the game when more people were there... there was a smattering of boos.

The Twins went in with the first overall pick, and came away with the consistently 5th overall rated prospect.

Trade the damn thing away if you don't want to treat it like number one overall.

The organization should be embarrassed.

It was hilarious, they continued broadcasting the draft live on the big screen at the stadium until after the Reds took Greene and the announcer on the draft coverage said that even though the Reds picked second, they really had the number one overall pick since the Twins went off the board... the broadcast was quickly cut off from the big screen after that... :laugh:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So where are the Twins going to get pitching from? I don't get this pick at all. They've got Gordon and Polanco.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
So where are the Twins going to get pitching from? I don't get this pick at all. They've got Gordon and Polanco.

As you can see, Polanco does not project to be a SS. Neither does Gordon. Lewis is a fantastic pick. It's an utter joke to consider Lewis behind McKay and Gore. Greene could possibly be a good pitcher and I really liked Wright. McKay has #3 starter upside and a slightly above average 1B bat. Gore is a crapshoot, he could be a #1/#2 or he could end up a reliever. Wright is a guy that I believe can be a high end #2 or bottom barrel #1. However, the Twins took a guy who has top of the lineup capabilities to go with everyday SS fielding tools. He's the best position player in this draft. The pick should've always been between Wright and Lewis. I don't trust Greene to last as a major league arm and McKay is nothing more than a +1 WAR type player.

The Twins have starters stocked and basically ready. Berrios is your future #1 (possibly even this year), Gonsalves may be even better, Stewart, Romero, and Jay can all be middle of the pack starters, and then you have wildcards in Chargois and Jorge. Nick Burdi is another name to watch, however recent injuries put a large question mark on him. Probably the biggest boom or bust guy is Lewis Thorpe though. Kid could either be ace material or fizzle out due to injuries, his future is going to be very interesting.

Mnsportsfan22

Apr 5, 2013
When they announced the pick live at target field tonight... nothing but crickets from the fans.

Later when they announced it early in the game when more people were there... there was a smattering of boos.

The Twins went in with the first overall pick, and came away with the consistently 5th overall rated prospect.

Trade the damn thing away if you don't want to treat it like number one overall.

The organization should be embarrassed.

It was hilarious, they continued broadcasting the draft live on the big screen at the stadium until after the Reds took Greene and the announcer on the draft coverage said that even though the Reds picked second, they really had the number one overall pick since the Twins went off the board... the broadcast was quickly cut off from the big screen after that... :laugh:

Can't trade draft picks in baseball

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
im a fair weather twins fan, my 2 cents is you cant win a world series without pitching. i believe you need 2 ace pitchers , im disappointed they didnt pick a pitcher. if money was an issue trade down.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Can't trade draft picks in baseball

Ok, wasn't aware of that... if you're afraid to pay someone, get out of the damn sport in the first place then.

#1 overall is a privilege of a draft position. You have to take advantage of it when you can. It is NOTa spot to worry about money and playing it safe!

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Well...new management has us (currently) in first in the ALC...and you're already condemning them? Okay.

We could lose the next 30 games to "catch up" to where we were last season at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad