Non-Hockey Sports Thread XVI - Vikings Failure Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Depends what the day is. I looked on stubhub and they didn't have any for the next home games on the weekend but found some during the week. They're labeled as section 7-10. The ones I found for the middle of the week on a Wednesday for the white sox game were listed at $348 a piece.

*****?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
What search terms do I use to get Champions Club seats for the Twins (right behind home plate) for a game?

That search doesn't yield be any results. Someone else, on another forum, won't respond to me how he found some of those seats in a search.

seatgeek has a few list for different games.
-$255 for the 15th afternoon game.
-$236 for the 20th night game.
-$145 for the 4th of July game. I'd jump on those if they are what you're looking for.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Depends what the day is. I looked on stubhub and they didn't have any for the next home games on the weekend but found some during the week. They're labeled as section 7-10. The ones I found for the middle of the week on a Wednesday for the white sox game were listed at $348 a piece.

What search terms do I use???? I'd like to get email alerts if possible.

puckMAN

Dec 28, 2004
North St Paul
Hunter Greene visited the Twin Cities today still hoping the twins take him 1st overall,but I don't think they will...the more and more I read about the mlb draft the more it seems the Twins might be the only team in baseball who'd pass on the kid.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Hunter Greene visited the Twin Cities today still hoping the twins take him 1st overall,but I don't think they will...the more and more I read about the mlb draft the more it seems the Twins might be the only team in baseball who'd pass on the kid.

I'm not sure on the last statement. I think they'll take the college pitcher who I can't remember the name of, but I think there are a lot of teams who might make the same decision.

Unfortunately, baseball, unlike other sports, is a bit of a crapshoot even at #1 overall. Greene potentially has the most upside, but with high school baseball players... it's hard to know what you're really getting.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
I'm not sure on the last statement. I think they'll take the college pitcher who I can't remember the name of, but I think there are a lot of teams who might make the same decision.

Unfortunately, baseball, unlike other sports, is a bit of a crapshoot even at #1 overall. Greene potentially has the most upside, but with high school baseball players... it's hard to know what you're really getting.

I'm hoping they take Kyle Wright RHP from Vanderbilt over Brendan McKay 1B/LHP from Louisville.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I just looked on stubhub and looked for the best seats available.

But aren't there search terms a person can use?

As I said I would like to get email alerts for specific seats (obiviously Champions Club).

How the **** can people be finding them when my explicit search says CHAMPIONS CLUB in the title????
:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I'm hoping they take Kyle Wright RHP from Vanderbilt over Brendan McKay 1B/LHP from Louisville.

Yeah, Wright is who I was talking about, but now I just saw an article saying they might be learning towards McKay. Regardless, there's obviously no clear-cut number one here, so who knows which way they go.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Tomorrow is a HUGE day for the Twins! Two or three generational talents we have to choose from - one of which will be playing on this turned around franchise next year. :handclap:

BTW: I will never understand nor ever come to terms with the amount of hate Joe Mauer has received at the hands of his home State/city over the years.

For chrysakes, Mauer having been born in the TC, played HS ball in the TC, going number 1 overall to us and going down as one of the all-time great catchers in only half a career worth of seasons - for him to have been born here and molded here is tantamount to Patrick Kane having been born here going on to do what he's done.

I'll never not be a fan of Mauer, no matter how much vitriol I see from those trying to sway me.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Tomorrow is a HUGE day for the Twins! Two or three generational talents we have to choose from - one of which will be playing on this turned around franchise next year. :handclap:

BTW: I will never understand nor ever come to terms with the amount of hate Joe Mauer has received at the hands of his home State/city over the years.

For chrysakes, Mauer having been born in the TC, played HS ball in the TC, going number 1 overall to us and going down as one of the all-time great catchers in only half a career worth of seasons - for him to have been born here and molded here is tantamount to Patrick Kane having been born here going on to do what he's done.

I'll never not be a fan of Mauer, no matter how much vitriol I see from those trying to sway me.

Generational talents and pitchers don't go together well. So much can and does go wrong with the kids being drafted.

This is actually a pretty weak draft overall, lots of good but not great talent, and not very deep. Hunter Greene is the best player in the draft. He should turn into a fine MLB pitcher, but he's several years away the big leagues. It would be a huge gamble for the Twins to take him instead of a couple of college pitchers (Write or McKay). The college kids are closer to playing in the MLB, but they are still a couple of years away.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I just wouldn't get my hopes too high.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yeah, you can't really call any of them generational talents with any certainty. Look at the top picks since Mauer.

2016 Mickey Moniak, of Philadelphia
2015 Dansby Swanson, ss Arizona
2014 Brady Aiken, lhp Houston (didn't sign)
2013 Mark Appel, rhp Houston
2012 Carlos Correa, ss Houston
2011 Gerrit Cole, rhp Pittsburgh
2010 Bryce Harper, of Washington
2009 Stephen Strasburg, rhp Washington
2008 Tim Beckham, ss Tampa Bay
2007 David Price, lhp Tampa Bay
2006 Luke Hochevar, rhp Kansas City
2005 Justin Upton, ss Arizona
2004 Matthew Bush, ss San Diego
2003 Delmon Young, rf Tampa Bay
2002 Bryan Bullington, rhp Pittsburgh
2001 Joe Mauer, c Minnesota

Price, Strasburg, and Harper are the only thee that have been great players. Upton is obviously a very solid talent, and Correa is on the way to being a star. But look how many misses there were in-between. A few others are TBD, but there is such a high bust/disappointment rate at #1. Don't get your hopes up too high, as Wabit said above.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
So the Twins draft HS OF/SS Royce Lewis after Brandon McKay turned down the offer to be drafted #1...

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Twins do something based on money over talent. Shocking...

Eh, if Lewis stays as a SS then this was a great pick. You find better value in college pitchers at the end of the 1st in the competitive balance round. They could likely pull Sam Carlson out of Burnsville in those picks.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Eh, if Lewis stays as a SS then this was a great pick. You find better value in college pitchers at the end of the 1st in the competitive balance round. They could likely pull Sam Carlson out of Burnsville in those picks.

Theyd better. They NEED pitching. They already have Gordon as a SS prospect. This just screams the Pohlads being cheap as usual. So i have zero faith in them doing anything right.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Theyd better. They NEED pitching. They already have Gordon as a SS prospect. This just screams the Pohlads being cheap as usual. So i have zero faith in them doing anything right.

Gordon is a split 2B/SS. Ideally you hope he ends up as an everyday SS and Lewis gains some weight and develops into a Machado/Arenado type. However, I see Lewis as your future at SS (if he's developed correctly) and Gordon at 2B. Sano can hold down third and Vargas can be your 1B after Mauer's contract is up if he doesn't re-sign.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Alright, someone's gonna have to explain that one to me.

My understanding is that the Twins would have offered him less of a signing bonus, and he could potentially make more even if he was drafted later? I think that's what Husky is referring to money-wise.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
My understanding is that the Twins would have offered him less of a signing bonus, and he could potentially make more even if he was drafted later? I think that's what Husky is referring to money-wise.

That's it. Twins are "saving money" with this pick and hoping to "make a splash" at 35 and 37. So they are hoping guys will be there and doing it to save money up front. For me....that's the Pohlads being cheap as always.

puckMAN

Dec 28, 2004
North St Paul
This kid sounds like Byron Buxton to me...Great speed but average to below average bat.Speed means nothing if you can't get on base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad