Non-Hockey Sports Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
What I've heard is that Zimmer's "we have a plan" statement essentially means the first sight that KC is screwing something up (could be an interception next week) could be the end of KC in favor of Teddy.

That would just be idiotic in my opinion. I hope I don't see TB all year because if we do see him it means things have gone wrong.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Paul Molitor was named American League Manager of the Year for 2017.

There is some homer in this, but Counsell for the Brewers should have at least been in the top-3 (finished 4th).

Reactions: Northerner

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Sort of a surprise. I figured Francona was pretty close to a shoe-in.
Not when the Twins go from 100 losses to a playoff birth...which has never happened before. Francona did what was expected of his team. Molitor exceeded expectations big time.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Great win for the Vikes yesterday. The defense is so good. Danielle Hunter is an absolute beast, it's not often that you see a D Lineman sack a QB going THROUGH an offensive lineman :laugh:

Thanksgiving game against the Lions will be big. If we can win that one, we'll be 9-2, with a 3 game lead in the division, and 5 games left to play.

There's really no team in the NFL that I would go into a game right now feeling like we CAN'T beat. Been a fun season so far!

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
Great win for the Vikes yesterday. The defense is so good. Danielle Hunter is an absolute beast, it's not often that you see a D Lineman sack a QB going THROUGH an offensive lineman :laugh:

Thanksgiving game against the Lions will be big. If we can win that one, we'll be 9-2, with a 3 game lead in the division, and 5 games left to play.

There's really no team in the NFL that I would go into a game right now feeling like we CAN'T beat. Been a fun season so far!
*2003 Vikings' collapse imminent. Please standby*

I feel another heartbreak coming lol I really want to like Case Keenum but some of throws he's making are really gutsy and he should probably have a few more interceptions. Thielen is a beast, though, and Murray has been a good signing.

Last edited:

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
To clarify, that's not to say I think we will absolutely beat all comers, haha. I just don't think I would go into a game against anyone and feel like we didn't have a chance before the game even started.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Reasons to be optimistic about the Vikes;

- they are balanced, and don't rely on just one great player to win (i.e. Rogers) Thielen and Diggs, Smith and Rhodes, Kendricks and Barr, Joseph and Griffen, Mackinnon and Murray. Unless we get a TON of injuries, we have depth. My fear is injuries to the O line.

- offensive line looks to be for real, and were good yesterday even without Remmers, who should be back soon.

- we have a decent backup QB, if not two.

- There is no other team in the league that is dominant. Good, yes, but not dominant.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

I'm not sold on them.
-The only good team they've faced this year in Pit (NO was garbage the first couple weeks of the season).
-The Division sucks: Bears are trash. GB's injuries have killed their season. The Lions should be good, but are doing Lions things.
-Rams have a good record, but have played mostly bottom feeders.
-It's a QB driven league, and I don't think Keenum is that good of a QB.
-The defense is one of the best in the league, but it's not Seattle or Ravens good enough to win a Super Bowl with a non-elite QB.

They really need to get Bridgewater back as the QB, after the Thanksgiving day game (win or lose). It'll be a mini-bye and it will give Teddy 5 weeks of games to get into sync with the offense; then it could be a Super Bowl caliber team. It might drop them to a 3 seed, but Philly (probably in Philly in Jan) is the team to beat in the NFC. Teddy, if he returns to form, gives them the better chance at that.

I'm rooting for a Steelers/Eagles Super Bowl. Unless my Packers somehow luck into the Playoffs, then I want to see another Brady v. Rodgers game.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Reasons to be optimistic about the Vikes;

- they are balanced, and don't rely on just one great player to win (i.e. Rogers) Thielen and Diggs, Smith and Rhodes, Kendricks and Barr, Joseph and Griffen, Mackinnon and Murray. Unless we get a TON of injuries, we have depth. My fear is injuries to the O line.

- offensive line looks to be for real, and were good yesterday even without Remmers, who should be back soon.

- we have a decent backup QB, if not two.

- There is no other team in the league that is dominant. Good, yes, but not dominant.

Philly is getting closer to dominant; that QB they have is something special, and he's just starting to come into his own. Saints, now that they remembered how to football, are a pretty good all around team.

I agree the NFL is missing the 2-4 dominant teams that are usually around every year. At least there are still the 2-6 awful teams as usual. Most of the games on a weekly basis are unwatchable this year.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
-Rams have a good record, but have played mostly bottom feeders.
I've seen a lot of people say this, and I don't necessarily buy it. The same logic could be applied to the Badgers. They're not for real because they've played mostly bottom feeders. I think it's kind of a simplistic view on it.

Like Corey Cove has said on KFAN, and I totally agree with him, the Rams may not have played a tough schedule, but they have been doing exactly what good teams should do against bad teams. They have been SHREDDING them. Like, straight up murdering them.

They're definitely a playoff caliber team, in my eyes.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I've seen a lot of people say this, and I don't necessarily buy it. The same logic could be applied to the Badgers. They're not for real because they've played mostly bottom feeders. I think it's kind of a simplistic view on it.

Like Corey Cove has said on KFAN, and I totally agree with him, the Rams may not have played a tough schedule, but they have been doing exactly what good teams should do against bad teams. They have been SHREDDING them. Like, straight up murdering them.

They're definitely a playoff caliber team, in my eyes.

I really don't know how good the Badgers are. I do think going undefeated and wining the B1G against Ohio St is the only way they'll have a chance to make the Playoffs.

As for the Rams: My question is if you gave GB (without Rodgers) or Detroit would they have a much different record than the Rams have now? Neither Det or GB are Playoff teams in my eyes. The only 2 questionable games (for me) would be Dallas and Washington.

I think the Rams end up finishing the year with a 9-7 record and are a WC team, just because of their weak schedule. Philly, Saints, @Seahawks, and @Titans (losses), AZ and SF are wins. They will end up as a Playoff speed-bump for the 3 or 4 seed.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah wow, I just looked at the Rams schedule, it really ramps up now. We'll know a ton more about them come Christmas time. New Orleans and Philly at home, @ Seattle and @ Tennessee.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Yeah wow, I just looked at the Rams schedule, it really ramps up now. We'll know a ton more about them come Christmas time. New Orleans and Philly at home, @ Seattle and @ Tennessee.

Yep, no more guys that got pulled off their couches to play QB the rest of the way. Even the SF game could be interesting if they Garapalo is playing QB.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Going to Teddy right now could be disastrous.

I would wait until after the Lions game, it's too short of a practice week. If they beat the Lions, then they have the Divison all but locked up. It might cost them a 1st round bye, but I think the team would be better in the long run.

The defense will still be the same, so they will be in almost every game no matter who the starting QB is. This look like it should be an all in year for the Vikings. From a non-Viking fan, Terry (of 2 years ago) looks like a better option to get the team to the Super Bowl. The NFC is weak right now, and no guarantees it'll be that way next year, or how injuries for the Vikings could play out.

just my $0.02.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Case is so, so lucky he doesn't have more INTs this season.

We have no QBs under contract next season. Bradford is basically done, so it's either Teddy or Keenum next season. If the Vikings think Keenum is the starting QB for the future, then lets roll with him. But if not, we're going to have to see Teddy at some point, making him the starting QB next season without playing at all for 2 seasons would be insane. Either way I doubt both will be on our roster next season, Keenum has earned a pay-raise and I don't doubt that there are some teams out there that will throw a fair amount of money at him.

Teddy's numbers weren't eye-popping, but he never had an Oline half as good as Keenum has right now, and didn't have nearly the WR core Keenum gets to throw to, so it's impossible to really compare them without seeing Teddy in this offense right now.

The Vikings have potentially 2 starting-caliber QBs on the roster and I just want them to pick the right one to lead the team in the future seasons.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Bridgewater has this throwing motion that drives me crazy. He drops his elbow, and throws 3/4, which is not good when you are already somewhat vertically challenged for a NFL QB. I like(d) his mobility, but does he still have it, and will he survive any pounding?

Bottom line, it'd be batshit crazy to play him now over CK.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
There is no question they are making calls to keep the game close. Absolutely ridiculous series of penalties in the 2nd half to keep Detroit in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad