Non-Habs Fans, What would you do if you were the GM?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Move Weber at anything approaching a reasonable deal.

Trade any other asset over the age of 25 for futures.

Put Galchenyuk at C and keep him there. The Leafs had a similar situation with Kadri and he has blossomed now in his prime.

If a lockout and compliance buyot happens in 2021 buy out Price no matter what hes playing like.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I absolutely hate how everyone says "tank". That's literally what 90% of posters are saying. It's such a loser mentality.

I'm a habs fan. Hate the Subban move (obviously) - but I like our goalie and believe we can still contend/compete with this team. I can't believe so many of you are saying trade everyone away, hope you suck bad enough to get draft picks. That shouldn't be a strategy to win - that should be a consolation prize if you have a bad year,not the goal of the year.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Price isn't the problem.

With the salary cap raising. Price's cap will be acceptable.

When Crosby signed his 8.7 mil. Salary cap was 64 mil (13.5%)

Price signed at 10.5 where the cap is at 75 (still not started) (13.3%)

Right now. Crosby's cap is around 11.6%

Same thing would probably happen to Price.

I'm eager to see Bobrovsky and Holtby next contract

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I absolutely hate how everyone says "tank". That's literally what 90% of posters are saying. It's such a loser mentality.

I'm a habs fan. Hate the Subban move (obviously) - but I like our goalie and believe we can still contend/compete with this team. I can't believe so many of you are saying trade everyone away, hope you suck bad enough to get draft picks. That shouldn't be a strategy to win - that should be a consolation prize if you have a bad year,not the goal of the year.
The problem is that you are not good enough to contend, and you aren't just a piece or two away. The team is not even close

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Habs should of never signed Price, should of traded him and all other older players of any value. Go full on tank mode similar to Sabers and Leafs did. If a player isn't in your long term future plans trade him.

You have to know when you're not very good, Habs aren't very good and are getting worse year after year. Problem now is they have a couple huge negative contracts to deal with, Weber & Price. With Price & Weber for now they are just good enough to make the playoffs but can't do any damage b/c the rest of the team is terrible. Drouin your #1C? Really? That's terrible depth.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
With Weber and Price locked up as long as they are I'd say the job of rebuilding the Habs is not really possible. You don't start rebuilding your team by trading dollar bills for dimes. Oh sure you can do that all you want but that doesn't mean you're going to make any actual progress.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Well, some sort of significant change is necessary - maybe not a full rebuild, but at the least a retool. You need really good pro and amateur scouts to pull off the latter, but it can be done - and the Habs can afford to hire well, so it's at least worth considering. (Of course, recognize how that worked with Toronto). Nevertheless, the opening moves for both are pretty similar.

When doing a rebuild or retool, it's important to identify not just the youngsters you're going to want to keep long-term and/or build around and the prospects you have hopes for, but also the vets you're going to use to shelter those guys as they grow.

Essentially, you're going to go through two "generations" of prospects - the first one will be mostly your depth guys and they will be developing in hell conditions, and the second will hopefully be the rest of your future core. Superstars optional but they can emerge.

There is, at present, only four proven young players to build around, and they're all forwards - Drouin, Galchenyuk, Danault, and Gallagher. That's ugly. The prospect situation isn't much better in terms of sheer numbers, but there's a little more diversity - guys like Poehling and Hudon and Lehkonen at forward, and Mete and Juulsen on the blueline. So our priorities have to be younger depth blueliners, futures, and keeping enough vets so that only the one generation goes through that trial by fire.

So, with all that in mind...
  • Trade Plekanec and Hemsky at the deadline for whatever futures we can get.
  • Start shopping MaxPac. Our goal is young depth blueliners and/or futures to fill out that First Generation of youth. He will not get us top-end core players because he's a winger approaching his 30s; what we want is youngish guys who will fill in while our draft picks develop and then move down the depth chart once those guys come into their own.
  • Consider shopping Price. There is, of course, the cynical "he's too good to let us tank properly" argument, but the real reason is that his contract at his age is potentially an albatross. If we can get an unusually good return, go for it. Otherwise, keep him.
  • Similarly, take a look at the market for guys like Shaw, Weber, and Petry. They have value as buffers between our developing kids and the hard minutes, so don't sell unless we're significantly bolstering our First Generation youngster supply. (In the case of Weber, tho, this is very unlikely, unfortunately.)
  • Fire Therrien Julien in favor of someone who will let players take risks, and put Galchenyuk in the #1C role. The Habs don't have the assets to pick up someone else's #1C and won't for some time, so Chucky is going to have to take on that role. Keep in mind that he's in that First Generation, so he may not be there by the time the Habs are competitive - he doesn't need to be a star, he just needs to be competent.
  • Play the games as they come. No tanking allowed.
  • At the draft, prioritize blueliners this year and next, and forwards afterward. This is partly the old "blueliners take longer to develop" canard, but mostly due to where we have depth and where we need it.
  • Hire good scouts and coaches to take care of the above.
  • Cross fingers and hope, enduring the braying and jeering of Leafs fans in the interim. This doesn't always work as planned. and your rivals are always going to have some folks who will be jerks about it. :)
Eventually, you should be able to develop a competent team. If you're lucky, it can even be a Cup contender - but that requires good fortune with your draft choices. Keep funding that scouting department!

Last edited:

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Learn French. Trash Bergevin in the media. Trade Pacioretty for a bonafide stud 1C, play him on the second line behind true 1C Galchenyuk. Trade Weber for picks. Play Scherbak, McCarron, Juulsen, Hudon and De La Rose in their ceiling positions. Play Mete 35 minutes a game and pair him with a mannequin with a Juolevi jersey on. Start Price 82 games, win them all.

Please note, I haven't watched them play this year, just going on what I read on HFBoards.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013

It has nothing to do with mentality and 100% to do with reality. Montreal isn't getting the pieces they need without drafting high. They can probably salvage the season and squeeze into the playoffs if they really want but the odds of drafting #1-4 are better than their odds of winning the cup so why continue to kick the can down the road and dig the hole deeper?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Move Weber at anything approaching a reasonable deal.

Trade any other asset over the age of 25 for futures.

Put Galchenyuk at C and keep him there. The Leafs had a similar situation with Kadri and he has blossomed now in his prime.

If a lockout and compliance buyot happens in 2021 buy out Price no matter what hes playing like.

Why buyout Price? If they trade anyone over the age of 25, they are going to suck no matter who is in net.

Take the hit of a few bad years and hope Price is still playing good in 2021-22 and then you have a good team around him and you still have a #1 goalie with hopefully some good players through the draft playing on dirt cheap ELCs.

I'd move Weber but I don't think they would find any takers unless they retain a bit on his salary. He's a good D but no good team that wants a D like him can fit him under the cap.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Trade Weber and whoever else on the team not named Galchenyuk or Drouin for Subban.

And if that doesn't work, trade all possible assets for draft picks. Embrace the rebuild, even though they're doing a pretty goo job of looking like they're tanking already...

Edit: Damn, I am a fan... can't delete now. Oh well. Doesn't really matter, everyone knows this team has to rebuild.

Last edited:

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Fire the GM and rebuild. There really isn't another choice.

Their current GM is stuck on a dated mentality that you need so many depth/character/gritty players when they really need skill. This is 2017 and he has not adapted.

I'm a Leaf fan and I KNOW what its like to have management that thinks they are a contender, only to lose in the second round year after year to faster and more skilled teams, while trading prospects and draft picks for Gary Roberts or whoever. And I know people don't like hearing this, but look at the Leafs now, full of skill, full of speed, etc.

Habs need fire the current management, hire the best possible GM regardless of race,language, age etc and COMMIT to a rebuild. Price must go, even if you don't get as much for him. Look what the Leafs got for Kessel. Accept the loss and rebuild from there. Weber can stay. No one will trade for that contract, may as well have one good defenseman. He's not that good where he will prevent a bottom 5 finish so may as well keep him and let him mentor young prospects.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Serious answer...

Trade Price now. You might be able to get multiple high-end picks and prospects.

AKA, rebuild. But they have the pieces for it to be a quick turn-around and have a really young, hungry, skilled team.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I'd probably resign so that I can hopefully land another job in the future.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Always thought the ballsy and smart move was to trade Price for a young C with legit #1C potential.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Seems like a bit of an overreaction. The Habs are still good enough to make the playoffs, at which point anything can happen. The playoffs are by no means a lock, but the Habs have just as good a chance as most other teams in the East.

That said, they really do need to acquire or develop a superstar forward scorer. Galchenyuk looked to be on track early last year, but it's hard to say that now. Perhaps Drouin can be that player, but he needs to be left to his game without that added pressure of being heralded a savior before it happens.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
You don't need to tank, yes it can be effective but you already have a lot of good pieces. The biggest thing I'd do and I think it would lead to long term success is start spending money. You should be investing in scouts, analytics, state of the art training facilities for both your NHL and AHL team. I wouldn't worry about language and just hire whoever the best available staff was.

You need to use your financial muscle the same way Toronto has, you should have or be in the running for the best staff whenever they come available. The entire team is snake bitten right now and playing terribly offensively so I wouldn't overreact to that and make a bunch of changes. The only change I would make is focus on more offensive D, Price can hold the fort you need some puck movers not shot blockers.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017

Its the way the game is played. Its cylical. As such blowing up and rebuilding is a very effective means of getting back to being competitve.

Its also exciting to watch young talent develop

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
As a Leafs fan who spent more than a decade watching his team swirl the toilet, you have to blow it up. Carey Price will single handedly keep you out of the lottery, but there's literally no hope beyond him. I don't care how much potential the rest of the team has. They're not good enough. I've seen it first hand.

apollo678

Oct 21, 2013
To all those saying trade Price, as good as he is, who would make that move? You would need to be a team with cup aspirations and which competitive team could afford to spend 10.5 million of the cap for many more years on a goalie? So many of the other cup competitive teams are spending roughly half of that.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017

I mean, what's the alternative? Keep letting Price carry the team into a futile playoff appearance only to keep taking swings at middle-of-the-pack first rounders? Hasn't been working well so far, so doing the same thing year after year won't change any fortunes. You know what they say about the definition of insanity.

Blowing up and sucking for a few years is painful but it pays off in the end if done correctly. The elite talent that teams are built around are more often than not found at the very top of the draft. Price is an obvious exception to this but as we can see much more is needed to turn the team around. Trading for guys like Drouin is great but come at the cost of emptying the cupboards of quality assets. Two steps forward one step back sort of thing. Why not draft them for free instead?

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Wait until the trade deadline to try to sucker the contending team with the biggest question mark in goal to trade futures for Price? Or commit to sticking with Price in net but sucking for the next 5 years and blow up the rest of the roster to go young and start accumulating top picks?

I don't know, it's not looking good.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Untrade subban and unsign Price

As long as they have Weber and Price's contracts on their backs they can't rebuild and I don't see them getting a top pick. But that's also too much money to build a really strong team around. And they're prospect pool is ass.

Who knows. But paying 10.5 for a goalie is ridiculous. Maybe they'll make the playoffs and he'll go on a hot streak but if that's your plan to win a cup your fans have a reason to be bitter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad