Non-Habs Fans, What would you do if you were the GM?

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Sorry, but elite goalies carry a team, they don't use the team as an excuse. When Quick backstopped L.A. to their two cups, the Kings finished the regular season 29th(2011-12) and 25th(2013-14) out of 30 teams in GF during the season.

So by your logic, Hasek wasn't as good
You're wrong on this, it's ridiculous to act as if Price isn't an elite goalie. Having a great playoff record doesn't make you elite, it just means you have better support in most cases. Since results are apparently all that matters I assume since Price won gold in the Olympics against Quick that makes him the better goalie?

I don't know if a fan of a team that hasn't won a playoff game in their entire existence should be talking about playoff performance. Maybe that's just me...

Ken Wreggets revenge

Sep 28, 2017
So by your logic, Hasek wasn't as good

You must not be familiar with the career of Dominik Hasek. Just like Jonathan Quick, Hasek elevated his game in the playoffs. Hasek put the sabres on his back and carried them to the 1998-99 finals on the strength of a .939 SV% and 1.77 GAA. The Sabres leading point producer during that playoff run? Defenseman Jason Wooley with 15 points.

Three years later Hasek posts a .920 SV% and 1.86 GAA in the playoffs on route to backstopping the Red Wings to the cup, the first of two cups he won.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
If I became GM of the Habs...

1. Full retention TDL trade of Plekanec for a 3rd, nobody's giving up more than that for him @ essentially $1M for the final 1/3rd of the season.

2. TDL trade Pacioretty to a contender looking for scoring help (looking at Nashville). 1st + a solid prospect.

3. At the draft, trade Galchenyuk to a team like San Jose who needs a young forward with potential. Can probably get their first depending on where it is.

4. After FA opens, trade Weber for a package of Moulson+Bogosian+2nd or Lehtera+MacDonald+2nd or the like. Similar to the Phaneuf trade, it's about getting out from under that contract. Take on a couple of another team's bad contracts that add up to more than Weber's cap hit and hopefully they're willing to take him on for 8 more years...

5. Wait until the end of July, pick up some bargain vets to fill out the roster. Hope they gain some value, trade them (and Byron) at the deadline for picks, even 6th/7th rounders help.

6. After July 1st, 2019, trade Price @ 25% retained ($7.875M cap hit) to a team in need of goaltending - NYI, CGY, BUF, etc. - it doesn't matter if they're in division or not. Getting max assets and moving the contract is the biggest part of this trade. The Habs are going to suck for a couple of years, it won't matter if he's a Sabre or a Golden Knight, as long as he's not a Hab at this point, because he'll be 32 at that point, and he's a barrier to rebuilding. 1st+2nd+good prospect (or a U23 player of equivalent value)

7. Repeat the process of signing bargain vets and upping their value before dumping them at the deadline for mid-round picks.

8. Do not sign any July 1 FAs until 2020 at the earliest. I also wouldn't be looking to add impact players unless they fall into my lap before the 2020 draft either. The process is about accumulating as much young talent as possible, getting the highest picks possible, and praying it works out. If you can move out Alzner and Shaw in meantime, you jump all over that as well. The only pieces I wouldn't really be looking to move are Drouin, Gallagher and Mete, and even then, none of them are untouchable. At this point, if I was the Habs GM, I'd really just burn it to the ground.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Its just been one mistake after another for this franchise under Bergevin.

They need a scorched Earth rebuild.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
What a friggin mess. To be a fly on the wall during the Radulov and Markov negotiations, still can't believe we lost both.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
They can't rebuild with Price and Weber and I don't think they can move those guys.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Trade Weber. I think it might be possible after this season when his actual salary plummets. Might be a few teams that aren't anywhere near the cap that would be willing to take him on, especially if the Habs retain a couple million.

Do everything possible to try to sign Tavares. A true #1 C would cure a lot of problems for the Habs.

A tear-down and true rebuild just doesn't seem feasible in Montreal, and especially not with Price signed for another 8 seasons.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
As someone else pointed out, David Clarkson was traded. It might be easier in the offseason, before July 1st, but it can be done.
Clarkson is very different from Price and Weber in that Clarkson was already on the verge of being permanently placed on LTIR.

Weber and Price can still play and probably will for the next 3-5 years. Also, Weber has a recapture penalty which Clarkson doesn't have.

I would compare them instead to the Sedins. Vancouver is handcuffed to the Sedin twins. It can't really move them and it can't truly rebuild until they're gone, so Vancouver is kind of stuck waiting for them to retire.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
I stand by my earlier statement. Carey Price is not elite. I'll give you and example of an elite goalie. Lets compare the careers of Jonathan Quick and Carey Price. I posted this is another thread a few days ago but it still applies here.

Regular seasonGPWLSV%GAASO
Carey Price510271175.9202.4039
Jonathan Quick493261167.9162.2645
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Both goalies debuted in 2007-08 and their number are fairly even through the regular season, but the playoffs are a different story.

Carey Price takes a step back in the playoffs and his numbers get a little worse, backstopping the Habs to just one conference final and five first round exits in eight playoff runs. Jonathan Quick on the other hand has elevated his game in playoffs. In six playoff runs, Quick has guided the Kings to three conference finals and two Stanley Cups, including a legendary run in 2011-12, finishing with a .946 SV% and a 1.41 GAA on route to winning the Smythe.

PlayoffsGPWLSV%GAASO
Carey Price602531.9142.545
Jonathan Quick814635.9212.279
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

concur 1000%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad