Seravalli: Noah Hanifin is holding the Calgary Flames hostage in trade talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I think you guys just have Tampa to beat for him as a UFA anyway and they don't have as much cap space. My bet is he's a panther next season anyway. I get not moving Lundell for him based on that. He's worth more than Lundell all day in a vacuum though. This is why the return will be disappointing for Flames fans.
Lundell is a core piece to the Panthers which you don’t trade. He’s really been blossoming in 2024. He’s a two way player that takes a lot of pressure off Barkov and Bennett by playing big minutes with weak line mates

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Lundell is a core piece to the Panthers which you don’t trade. He’s really been blossoming in 2024. He’s a two way player that takes a lot of pressure off Barkov and Bennett by playing big minutes with weak line mates
Well that's pretty inaccurate. He's playing the lowest minutes of his career. His scoring totals have declined every year. His possession numbers have been worse every year. I don't watch him game in and game out, but to say he's blossomed this season seems pretty disingenuous.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
To be clear, “resign” is absolutely one correct way to spell “sign again”.
Wrong...

Screenshot_2024-03-01-12-17-45-860.jpg
Screenshot_2024-03-01-12-17-45-860.jpg

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
To be fair, if you’re getting Hanifin and he’s going to sign with you… probably worth that.

As a pure rental?
No, probably the regular 1st + good prospect that the best defender on the market demands each year.
I don’t know why Calgary gets value out of years they don’t own. If they do it’s not much.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Well that's pretty inaccurate. He's playing the lowest minutes of his career. His scoring totals have declined every year. His possession numbers have been worse every year. I don't watch him game in and game out, but to say he's blossomed this season seems pretty disingenuous.
Some people actually watch the game. Feel free to believe whatever you want in LolCanada.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Some people actually watch the game. Feel free to believe whatever you want in LolCanada.
No, you said he really took off this year. That's simply not true. If data doesn't agree with your feelings it's not the data that's wrong. Canada is the most knowledgeable hockey market on the planet by miles. It would be like watching High School football and mocking Texans opinions on the subject.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Again, that's Conroy's problem. Is Hanifin supposed to list what teams he would be willing to sign a co tract with without ever playing for another team? What if they ask him to sign an extension as part of a deal but hates it where he got traded? He has the right to wait to sign a deal, if that changes his trade value then so be it, but you can't fault him for this situation.
I’m not saying I have an issue with it. I do understand the frustration on Calgary’s end though because they would like to maximize the return.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
The desire to only play in Tampa seems either like fake new or a bad judgement call from his camp. If his intentions are true he lost all leverage in a negotiation and if Tampa doesn’t come calling he scared off a lot of teams too….

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Don’t be surprised he’s got a place and extension all set to go but Calgary threatening to trade him somewhere else because they don’t like what (Florida team - I think Tampa but…) is offering, even signed

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The desire to only play in Tampa seems either like fake new or a bad judgement call from his camp. If his intentions are true he lost all leverage in a negotiation and if Tampa doesn’t come calling he scared off a lot of teams too….
I believe he did his part it’s Calgary wanting more out of Tampa and telling them screw you we will send him somewhere else as a rental and enjoy possibly missing playoffs and not getting that 8th year

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I respect Tampa, but man, an already two-time Cup winner managing to get a top pair D for cheap because he doesn't want to go elsewhere just shows how unfair life is.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Tampa can just wait till the offseason.

We are NOT winning anything and probably won't resign Stamkos(unless it is for $5mill/yr)

Why trade for him when he'll come to Tampa in the offseason anyhow?

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
If Tampa can pull off the trade without giving up a ridiculous amount, then they probably should. They are not out of it this year, and Hanifin will help. If you're Tampa and the plan is to re-sign him, better to not see him end up with a division rival such as Boston or Florida and then sign an 8 year extension with them as well.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
How does anyone know he only wants to go to a FL team?

If he or his agent(s) are letting it be known that he won't re-sign with say Boston if he's traded there, that just doesn't sound ethical. Unless of course if Calgary has given them permission to talk to Boston etc.

This could open up a can of worms.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Tkachuk has been actively recruiting former teammates for some time now. Players need to start being part of tampering rules or this league is going to turn into the NBA. Tkachuk is both smart enough and enough of a dirt bag to realize this.
This may be a controversial take to some north of the border here but its not exactly hard to convince someone to move from calgary to south florida. Not just athletes but just humans in general

• Haha
Reactions: DistantThunderRep

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
This may be a controversial take to some north of the border here but its not exactly hard to convince someone to move from calgary to south florida. Not just athletes but just humans in general
Yeah I live in Vancouver, and I don't understand why this concept is baffling. I have been trying to convince my wife to move to Florida and she doesn't want to leave the family.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Yeah I live in Vancouver, and I don't understand why this concept is baffling. I have been trying to convince my wife to move to Florida and she doesn't want to leave the family.
Try getting insurance on ANYTHING
Weather is great until your car us pack with everything u own following the evacuation signs to high ground

Reactions: Fatass

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Florida has a great climate but for the average person 'north of the border' Florida is worse in every other way. No thanks. Love visiting there though.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I don't see the problem here? The team isn't under any obligation to trade a player somewhere he wants, beyond what's listed on a NTC. And the player isn't obligated to sign somewhere he doesn't want to or open up his NTC.

And it's not like the player is going to sandbag or refuse to report. He has all the motivation to finish the season to get a better contract in the summer.
I'm not sure about that. Kane made it clear to Black Hawks last year that if he didn't go to Rangers, he would just pack it in for the season, go home, and start his injury recovery.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I'm not sure about that. Kane made it clear to Black Hawks last year that if he didn't go to Rangers, he would just pack it in for the season, go home, and start his injury recovery.
What does that have to do with Hanifin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad