Seravalli: Noah Hanifin is holding the Calgary Flames hostage in trade talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
He is also holding me hostage in his basement. I have managed to wedge myself into the air duct to get enough wi-fi to send this out. I told people for years he was dangerous and nobody listened, and now I sit here in his dunge... I mean basement!
Dr Dre there too?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Frank’s shit gets so old.
He’s been wrong about Calgary the past 9 months and will always try to take a negative spin on this team.

Hanifin will get moved or signed. There’s no hostage here. The only hostage situation Frank knows about are the sixteen bags of Lays chips in his cupboard.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
If I'm a veteran player and i want to move to a new team and i know that team wants me. A team I want to spend the rest of my career with possibly. Why would I want that team to give up a bunch of assets to get me if I can just go there in the off season?

I wont say that players don't care at all, but NHLers really don't factor in what teams may give up for them in a trade.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Sportsnet said yesterday that Conroy is looking for an elite level prospect who is currently an NHLer, a 1st and a late pick. Don't think he's going to get that.
That sounds more like the Flames are holding Hannifin hostage in Calgary with their unreal expectations.

North

Jun 25, 2009
That's a terrible title. If they didn't want him to have the power of a NTC then they shouldn't have given him one.
The issue is it’s limited. There may be a team interested in trading assets for him (that he hasn’t included on his no trade list) as long as he’s extended but he could say he won’t extend with that team so then that team drops out of trade negotiations thus limiting Calgary’s options.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That sounds more like the Flames are holding Hannifin hostage in Calgary with their unreal expectations.

To be fair, if you’re getting Hanifin and he’s going to sign with you… probably worth that.

As a pure rental?
No, probably the regular 1st + good prospect that the best defender on the market demands each year.

smytty

Aug 1, 2015
The issue is it’s limited. There may be a team interested in trading assets for him (that he hasn’t included on his no trade list) as long as he’s extended but he could say he won’t extend with that team so then that team drops out of trade negotiations thus limiting Calgary’s options.
Again, that's Conroy's problem. Is Hanifin supposed to list what teams he would be willing to sign a co tract with without ever playing for another team? What if they ask him to sign an extension as part of a deal but hates it where he got traded? He has the right to wait to sign a deal, if that changes his trade value then so be it, but you can't fault him for this situation.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Meh, get a 1st for him and get him outta here, in a vacuum it’s not great value, but you do what you gotta do with what you’ve got.

Fully prepared to be “whelmed” with this trade.

By rights he can sign wherever he wants, nothing Conny can do about that. At this point, it should be best package only. Not trying cater to where he wants to go.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Flames have a roadie through Florida around the TDL. Drop Hanifin off and pick up Lundell
Lundell is my primary target in this trade too. Secondary one is seeing if Dallas wants to reunite our top pairing. Stankoven is off the table, but I'm not as convinced Bourque is. I'd still prefer Lundell to Bourque though. I'm concerned about how Bourque will play away from Stankoven. It's pretty clear to me watching those 2 which one the driver is.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
With an extension. I think the Caps now have some young, attractive assets, but mostly on the offensive side.
I doubt Hanifin would want to go there and with an extension he would get much more back.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I doubt Hanifin would want to go there and with an extension he would get much more back.
That's the issue for all of these trades. The only teams we know he wants to go to are Tampa and Florida. I wonder if Dallas, Boston or NJ could also be spots he'd consider, but I think it's a pretty short list.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
There's been like 1 total UFA traded with an extension in place ever (Hampus Lindholm), just trade the rental as a rental. Hanifin is under no obligation to help Calgary jack up their return by extending with a team before he even plays a minute there or gets to see what it's actually like

Reactions: Rockmorton

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Cool, thanks for reading the thread before quoting me

Don't really have to read the thread. He's not holding anyone hostage.

Hes making sure he gets dealt to a team of HIS preference.

Hes not obligated to make sure the Flames get the best return, hes not the GM.

His only obligation is to himself to make sure he gets traded to a team he's comfortable with.

I dispise NTC protections, but if GMs are gonna give them out, these are the pitfalls

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Don't really have to read the thread. He's not holding anyone hostage.

Hes making sure he gets dealt to a team of HIS preference.

Hes not obligated to make sure the Flames get the best return, hes not the GM.

His only obligation is to himself to make sure he gets traded to a team he's comfortable with.

I dispise NTC protections, but if GMs are gonna give them out, these are the pitfalls
cool. you've just paraphrased 1/2 the points covered by me and others already in this thread that you don't want to read

• Wow
Reactions: pld459666

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Lundell is my primary target in this trade too. Secondary one is seeing if Dallas wants to reunite our top pairing. Stankoven is off the table, but I'm not as convinced Bourque is. I'd still prefer Lundell to Bourque though. I'm concerned about how Bourque will play away from Stankoven. It's pretty clear to me watching those 2 which one the driver is.
Not available for Hanifin

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Not available for Hanifin
I think you guys just have Tampa to beat for him as a UFA anyway and they don't have as much cap space. My bet is he's a panther next season anyway. I get not moving Lundell for him based on that. He's worth more than Lundell all day in a vacuum though. This is why the return will be disappointing for Flames fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad