OT: No Respect for Islanders

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Who gives a **** what anyone thinks as long as we keep winning. Rome wasn't built in a day and it will take more than 20 games to erase the stench of 20 yrs.

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
I actually disagree completely. I think they been getting tons of respect and recognition of late. ESPN, sportcenter tweeting many times about them, NHL Radio and etc.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
Hockey Central basically covers the Canadian teams first. I think that the only game last night covered with two American based teams before our game was Philadelphia- Detroit.

On the flip side Kevin Weekes from NHL Tonight has really been praising us the last couple of weeks.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
It is a long season and many teams were hot in the first half in the past got cold in the 2nd (due to injuries) so it is a bit too early to celebrate. This team is much improved on paper and has played well so far but the league is competitive and many teams in the Metro are having key injuries so who knows what will happen in the 2nd half. Isles should be praised for their focus and efforts, but need to be level headed as making the playoff is not an easy task and most teams do have stars to carry their teams so depends how these players play all year, a lot of things can change. Just wait until all star break, then start to talk about playoff and possibility to advance. Now they should just try to pile up more points, one game at a time and continue to improve at the weak aspects of their game, like draws, PK, PP, giveaways and capitalizing on their scoring chances.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I'd rather the media not talk about the Islanders anyway. More often than not, they know as much as the average HFBoards poster.
So true. I can't stand hearing pundits talk about the Islanders, McLean hasn't seen one game. Buccigross/Burnside haven't seen a game. Listening to them just proves it.

I don't want to hear what they have to say unless they watch.
The Hockey News has the Isles at the top of their power rankings and that was before last night's game. So it's not all bad.

There are a few around the media who have a problem with us and that's fine. The guys are playing with a chip on their shoulder and it seems to just make them stronger.

Yeah, and what was the title of that power ranking? "Fish Sticks rocket to top"

Still gotta get that shot in.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Hockey Central basically covers the Canadian teams first. I think that the only game last night covered with two American based teams before our game was Philadelphia- Detroit.

On the flip side Kevin Weekes from NHL Tonight has really been praising us the last couple of weeks.

He's watched them, that's why.

Groin Of Bates

Jan 11, 2007
I was thinking something similar this past week when NBC had Buffalo vs San Jose on television, not the first and probably not the last Buffalo game on this year.

The Islanders have a first rate star in Tavares and play exciting hockey but never get on a national broadcast. I understand that certain teams are more marketable, but it doesn't make any sense for the league and its partners to marginalize the Islanders.

Unfortunately it will probably take a Conference Final appearance to change the narrative....but the good thing is that that isn't out of reach.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/09/s...uffalo-sabres-but-plenty-in-ratings.html?_r=0

Buffalo has one of the best hockey tv ratings in the entire country.

NY Times said:
Buffalo was the highest-rated market in the regular season for NBC and NBCSN’s national games and, with Sabres games, generated the second-highest local cable rating in the N.H.L. (Pittsburgh had the highest.)

It has nothing to do with teams / team success and everything to do with $$$. We dont generate marketability or ratings.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
We don't need the approval of these analysts. What some people don't realize is the Isles will be doubted forever and by many. Until we win a cup, people will attribute our success to chance alone. And even when we do get it, there will be a percentage of people with their theory about how we got an easy break.

Lets just win and be happy.

TW

Apr 4, 2013
He's watched them, that's why.

I think it is very difficult to gauge the Isles without actually watching them for 60 min. For the uninitiated, stats and highlights basically tell you the JT and Okposo are good (they already knew that), who the hell is this Brock kid(?), and Leddy, Boychuk and Halak really did shore up the defense. But, none of the new vets are superstars and they could easily come down to earth.

Watching the games tell you a very different story. Waves and waves of offense put even good defenses on their heels. The forecheck is unrelenting. And when that isn't enough, they still hit. For 60 minutes. Are they a perfect team? Not even close. The kids have a lot to learn still. But they're fast and the vets are smart.

Nobody started to notice until they beat the Pens twice. That's the way things work. That was only 5 days ago. The will get more attention from everyone very soon. Unfortunately, that also means scout teams. The Isles won't see backup goalies anymore and defenses will figure some things out. Lets see if Capuano can also adjust. That part makes me nervous.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I was thinking something similar this past week when NBC had Buffalo vs San Jose on television, not the first and probably not the last Buffalo game on this year.

The Islanders have a first rate star in Tavares and play exciting hockey but never get on a national broadcast. I understand that certain teams are more marketable, but it doesn't make any sense for the league and its partners to marginalize the Islanders.

Unfortunately it will probably take a Conference Final appearance to change the narrative....but the good thing is that that isn't out of reach.

The Sabres still draw more ratings as a last place team than we do as a playoff team. NBC cares about ratings. Whatever markets bring in the ratings, they want. The more ratings=the more money they make.

It's not rocket science.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I think it is very difficult to gauge the Isles without actually watching them for 60 min. For the uninitiated, stats and highlights basically tell you the JT and Okposo are good (they already knew that), who the hell is this Brock kid(?), and Leddy, Boychuk and Halak really did shore up the defense. But, none of the new vets are superstars and they could easily come down to earth.

Watching the games tell you a very different story. Waves and waves of offense put even good defenses on their heels. The forecheck is unrelenting. And when that isn't enough, they still hit. For 60 minutes. Are they a perfect team? Not even close. The kids have a lot to learn still. But they're fast and the vets are smart.

Nobody started to notice until they beat the Pens twice. That's the way things work. That was only 5 days ago. The will get more attention from everyone very soon. Unfortunately, that also means scout teams. The Isles won't see backup goalies anymore and defenses will figure some things out. Lets see if Capuano can also adjust. That part makes me nervous.

I agree but these guys are paid to offer their opinions, they should watch some games.

It's just funny that we added two top 4 dmen, a number one goalie, a top 6 forward and a top 9 forward and for every single player we heard people downplay the individual. It's just because they are going to the Islanders.

Halak? Can't stay healthy, only played well because of the Blues system.
Boychuk? Another hidden gem because of the Bruins system, isn't flanked by Z and Rask in net
Leddy? Only good because Hawks are so deep.
Grabovski? Overpaid, hasn't been good in a while, 3rd team in as many years
Kulemin? Overpaid, no offense

Always excuses for why they won't be good here.

That's the typical media for hockey. No attention is paid to the change in the roster, no one wanted to give credit because of past team performances, which is stupid, because this is a good and different team.

Why are people waiting for the Isles to fall back to earth? How stupid is that!? Fall back to last years standards when we didn't have the depth, when the youngins were learning and not contributing daily, when we didn't have the extra quality on the blue line, when we didn't have a number one in Halak?

Not saying we will win 16 out of the next 22 too, but stop saying crap like fall back down, or luck.

I got no time for that.

TW

Apr 4, 2013
I agree but these guys are paid to offer their opinions, they should watch some games.

It's just funny that we added two top 4 dmen, a number one goalie, a top 6 forward and a top 9 forward and for every single player we heard people downplay the individual. It's just because they are going to the Islanders.

Halak? Can't stay healthy, only played well because of the Blues system.
Boychuk? Another hidden gem because of the Bruins system, isn't flanked by Z and Rask in net
Leddy? Only good because Hawks are so deep.
Grabovski? Overpaid, hasn't been good in a while, 3rd team in as many years
Kulemin? Overpaid, no offense

Always excuses for why they won't be good here.

That's the typical media for hockey. No attention is paid to the change in the roster, no one wanted to give credit because of past team performances, which is stupid, because this is a good and different team.

Why are people waiting for the Isles to fall back to earth? How stupid is that!? Fall back to last years standards when we didn't have the depth, when the youngins were learning and not contributing daily, when we didn't have the extra quality on the blue line, when we didn't have a number one in Halak?

Not saying we will win 16 out of the next 22 too, but stop saying crap like fall back down, or luck.

I got no time for that.

Nobody watched the team last year. They were a crappy team and everybody agreed the Vanek deal was a disaster so the collective media assumed the Isles would be even worse. I get it. We all called for Snow's head. Then Snow had, by most standards, a very good offseason. And the collective media assumed a crappy team + a few vets + a lot of youth = bubble team. I'll be honest, I would've thought the same thing if the Edmonton Oilers had an offseason like ours.

We watched the games. We saw a bunch of young talent + no depth + injuries + the worst goaltending in the league turn into young talent + depth everywhere + superstar back + at least ok goaltending.

They don't want to admit they're wrong yet. I hope the Isles force the issue.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Who gives a **** what anyone thinks as long as we keep winning. Rome wasn't built in a day and it will take more than 20 games to erase the stench of 20 yrs.

Exactly! Waaaaaaaa!!!

Maybe don't be irrelevant for 20 years with one jackcrap move after another from ownership to player acquisition and try winning something once in forever.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I think with NHL Network, it depends who is on the broadcast, because when former Islanders Jamie McLennan and/or Kevin Weekes are on there, they speak volumes about the Isles' success.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
No offense but until this team does something in the post season nobody outside of us are going to give a damn.

To them this is just a nice story and surprising but they're still the islanders anything that can go wrong in the last 20 years usually has. It's going to take more than a great start to change the perception of this franchise in the national eyes.

Absolutely came to say this. You have to earn respect in the media. The Isles are just barely starting to do that. Don't expect an overnight change. It would be like North Korea suddenly opening up their borders and saying they will no longer be at war with anyone and drop all military spending and further testing. The US embassy isn't going to be setting up shop there in a week...

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013

ESPN had a column up yesterday touting brock nelson as something like "the breakout player no one's heard of." i've seen a lot of it, and i find it kind of ridiculous — he was a first rounder! he wasn't a household name, but it's not like he came out of nowhere.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
ESPN had a column up yesterday touting brock nelson as something like "the breakout player no one's heard of." i've seen a lot of it, and i find it kind of ridiculous — he was a first rounder! he wasn't a household name, but it's not like he came out of nowhere.

He was like the 29th pick... I know I probably can't name last years 29th pick and 90% of people around here can't without going to a google search. So to fans of other teams I think he probably came out of no where.

Islesfans1978*

As I watched the NHL Network last night at 11pm, I noticed that the Islanders/Capitals game was not mentioned at all until about 1/3rd of the way through the show and no highlights were shown in the shows opener.

This was the "Hockey Central" show with Daren Millard, Scott Morrison and Doug Maclean.

As the 2nd round of commercials came on, and still no mention of the Islanders even playing a game, I turned to my son and said, "I guess the Islanders didn't play tonight."

"Maybe the game was a dream, dad," replied my 14 year old.

Finally when the game was mentioned, they pick up the action with Ovechkin's first goal which tied the game. They spent time discussing the Great 8. Then they showed Hamonic's goal, mentioning how he is becoming a real NHL defenseman. They followed that up showing Ovechkin's goal to tie it at 2, and how terrible the Islanders coverage was (and it was). Then they showed the game winner in OT. They did not show the opening goal by Lee.

There was opening post highlight discussion about Ovechkin next. All about his game, and how great he is. Then they got around to "and hey, how about those Islanders?" All of the other games featured discussion of the winning team first, followed by discussion of the losing team.

The comments were mostly about some depth the Islanders added and they are currently playing well. Nothing of real significance —*just finding ways to win some games. Earlier in the night, when covering the Flames, the three talking heads commented that the Flames were the "feel good story" of the NHL.

The three talking heads went on to discuss even if the Islanders would make the playoffs although they begrudgingly admitted that the stats are in the favor of the Islanders based on their position at Thanksgiving.

Doug Maclean then roasted Garth Snow for the Moulson/Vanek deal some more — as if we hadn't heard about that, and that the trade was made last week.. "The owner, Wang, Wong, what ever his name is.... Somehow he lets Snow stay on, and he brings in Halak who is playing great right now. Yeah, sure they should make the playoffs but win a round? Who knows. I just dont know... Lets see where we are down the road."

I am not hear to defend Wang, but it's not as if this owner has been here for two days. He's owned the team for over a decade. Like him or hate him, there should be at least the dignity of getting his name right. It is no different then when the Vancouver papers got Matt Moulson's name wrong (calling him Coulson.) It is a level of disrespect that shows the level of class of Maclean and the producers of the show.

Further — this is a continuation of disrespect the New York Islander franchise has experienced since its inception in 1972. The NHL never wanted to award the Islanders franchise, and only did so to prevent the WHA from gaining a foothold in New York.

Overall, the level of disrespect shown to this franchise continues...
• Despite being tied for first place in the Metro division.
• Despite its nearest competition in the Metro division being 10 point behind them
• Despite having the same number of wins as the Habs, putting us with the most wins in the East.
• Despite being 9-1-0 over the last 10 games — the best current run in the NHL over the last 10 games.
• Despite holding a 5 game win streak — the best current streak in the NHL.

If this was the record of the Leafs... the Oilers... The coverage of the franchise would be the lead of every major NHL-based show. (TV or Radio)

I suppose I should be used to it. I witnessed it during the cup wins, and beyond. Is it deserved when Healy or Ferraro — 2 guys many Isles fans loved as players — bang on the team? Sometimes it is, and sometimes it is not. I have not heard either recently chirp anything negative. When it's deserved — I have no issues —*be critical. But get the players, the owners name right. Give them at least the dignity of their names. And when the team is winning, when its performing at the highest levels of the league — they should receive the credit.

Even during the cup years the Isles weren't given much respect, yet they had the Rangers winning the cup every year.

Just the way things have always been.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Lack of respect only annoys us, the fans.

The players don't pay any attention to what is written, probably avoid reading it. They are focused on the room, their team mates, on winning games because winning really, really feels much better than losing.

Vocal but low intensity leaders like Boychuck and KO keep the guys stoked. That is all that matters.

LGI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad