OT: No Respect for Islanders

HyeDray

Jul 13, 2006
New Hyde Park, NY
As I watched the NHL Network last night at 11pm, I noticed that the Islanders/Capitals game was not mentioned at all until about 1/3rd of the way through the show and no highlights were shown in the shows opener.

This was the "Hockey Central" show with Daren Millard, Scott Morrison and Doug Maclean.

As the 2nd round of commercials came on, and still no mention of the Islanders even playing a game, I turned to my son and said, "I guess the Islanders didn't play tonight."

"Maybe the game was a dream, dad," replied my 14 year old.

Finally when the game was mentioned, they pick up the action with Ovechkin's first goal which tied the game. They spent time discussing the Great 8. Then they showed Hamonic's goal, mentioning how he is becoming a real NHL defenseman. They followed that up showing Ovechkin's goal to tie it at 2, and how terrible the Islanders coverage was (and it was). Then they showed the game winner in OT. They did not show the opening goal by Lee.

There was opening post highlight discussion about Ovechkin next. All about his game, and how great he is. Then they got around to "and hey, how about those Islanders?" All of the other games featured discussion of the winning team first, followed by discussion of the losing team.

The comments were mostly about some depth the Islanders added and they are currently playing well. Nothing of real significance —*just finding ways to win some games. Earlier in the night, when covering the Flames, the three talking heads commented that the Flames were the "feel good story" of the NHL.

The three talking heads went on to discuss even if the Islanders would make the playoffs although they begrudgingly admitted that the stats are in the favor of the Islanders based on their position at Thanksgiving.

Doug Maclean then roasted Garth Snow for the Moulson/Vanek deal some more — as if we hadn't heard about that, and that the trade was made last week.. "The owner, Wang, Wong, what ever his name is.... Somehow he lets Snow stay on, and he brings in Halak who is playing great right now. Yeah, sure they should make the playoffs but win a round? Who knows. I just dont know... Lets see where we are down the road."

I am not hear to defend Wang, but it's not as if this owner has been here for two days. He's owned the team for over a decade. Like him or hate him, there should be at least the dignity of getting his name right. It is no different then when the Vancouver papers got Matt Moulson's name wrong (calling him Coulson.) It is a level of disrespect that shows the level of class of Maclean and the producers of the show.

Further — this is a continuation of disrespect the New York Islander franchise has experienced since its inception in 1972. The NHL never wanted to award the Islanders franchise, and only did so to prevent the WHA from gaining a foothold in New York.

Overall, the level of disrespect shown to this franchise continues...
• Despite being tied for first place in the Metro division.
• Despite its nearest competition in the Metro division being 10 point behind them
• Despite having the same number of wins as the Habs, putting us with the most wins in the East.
• Despite being 9-1-0 over the last 10 games — the best current run in the NHL over the last 10 games.
• Despite holding a 5 game win streak — the best current streak in the NHL.

If this was the record of the Leafs... the Oilers... The coverage of the franchise would be the lead of every major NHL-based show. (TV or Radio)

I suppose I should be used to it. I witnessed it during the cup wins, and beyond. Is it deserved when Healy or Ferraro — 2 guys many Isles fans loved as players — bang on the team? Sometimes it is, and sometimes it is not. I have not heard either recently chirp anything negative. When it's deserved — I have no issues —*be critical. But get the players, the owners name right. Give them at least the dignity of their names. And when the team is winning, when its performing at the highest levels of the league — they should receive the credit.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
No offense but until this team does something in the post season nobody outside of us are going to give a damn.

To them this is just a nice story and surprising but they're still the islanders anything that can go wrong in the last 20 years usually has. It's going to take more than a great start to change the perception of this franchise in the national eyes.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
I was thinking something similar this past week when NBC had Buffalo vs San Jose on television, not the first and probably not the last Buffalo game on this year.

The Islanders have a first rate star in Tavares and play exciting hockey but never get on a national broadcast. I understand that certain teams are more marketable, but it doesn't make any sense for the league and its partners to marginalize the Islanders.

Unfortunately it will probably take a Conference Final appearance to change the narrative....but the good thing is that that isn't out of reach.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Don't care, let the disrespect continue. Only people I need to hear from about the Isles are in this forum and Howie, Butch and Shannon.
The rest of them can go suck the end of their car exhaust.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I'd rather the media not talk about the Islanders anyway. More often than not, they know as much as the average HFBoards poster.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Don't care, let the disrespect continue. Only people I need to hear from about the Isles are in this forum and Howie, Butch and Shannon.

Basically this.

I'm actually getting so sick of the main board too that I'm pretty much done even going there.

Oh and NBC, how are those Buffalo games treating you? hah

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
As I watched the NHL Network last night at 11pm, I noticed that the Islanders/Capitals game was not mentioned at all until about 1/3rd of the way through the show and no highlights were shown in the shows opener.

This was the "Hockey Central" show with Daren Millard, Scott Morrison and Doug Maclean.

As the 2nd round of commercials came on, and still no mention of the Islanders even playing a game, I turned to my son and said, "I guess the Islanders didn't play tonight."

Finally when the game was mentioned, they pick up the action with Ovechkin's first goal which tied the game. They spent time discussing the Great 8. Then they showed Hamonic's goal, mentioning how he is becoming a real NHL defenseman. They followed that up showing Ovechkin's goal to tie it at 2, and how terrible the Islanders coverage was (and it was). Then they showed the game winner in OT. They did not show the opening goal by Lee.

There was opening post highlight discussion about Ovechkin next. All about his game, and how great he is. Then they got around to "and hey, how about those Islanders?" All of the other games featured discussion of the winning team first, followed by discussion of the losing team.

The comments were mostly about some depth the Islanders added and they are currently playing well. Nothing of real significance —*just finding ways to win some games. Earlier in the night, when covering the Flames, the three talking heads commented that the Flames were the "feel good story" of the NHL.

The three talking heads went on to discuss even if the Islanders would make the playoffs although they begrudgingly admitted that the stats are in the favor of the Islanders based on their position at Thanksgiving.

Doug Maclean then roasted Garth Snow for the Moulson/Vanek deal some more — as if we hadn't heard about that, and that the trade was made last week.. "The owner, Wang, Wong, what ever his name is.... Somehow he lets Snow stay on, and he brings in Halak who is playing great right now. Yeah, sure they should make the playoffs but win a round? Who knows. I just dont know... Lets see where we are down the road."

I am not hear to defend Wang, but it's not as if this owner has been here for two days. He's owned the team for over a decade. Like him or hate him, there should be at least the dignity of getting his name right. It is no different then when the Vancouver papers got Matt Moulson's name wrong (calling him Coulson.) It is a level of disrespect that shows the level of class of Maclean and the producers of the show.

Further — this is a continuation of disrespect the New York Islander franchise has experienced since its inception in 1972. The NHL never wanted to award the Islanders franchise, and only did so to prevent the WHA from gaining a foothold in New York.

• Despite its nearest competition in the Metro division being 10 point behind them
• Despite having the same number of wins as the Habs, putting us with the most wins in the East.
• Despite being 9-1-0 over the last 10 games — the best current run in the NHL over the last 10 games.

If this was the record of the Leafs... the Oilers... The coverage of the franchise would be the lead of every major NHL-based show. (TV or Radio)

I suppose I should be used to it. I witnessed it during the cup wins, and beyond. Is it deserved when Healy or Ferraro — 2 guys many Isles fans loved as players — bang on the team? Sometimes it is, and sometimes it is not. I have not heard either recently chirp anything negative. When it's deserved — I have no issues —*be critical. But get the players, the owners name right. Give them at least the dignity of their names. And when the team is winning, when its performing at the highest levels of the league — they should receive the credit.

That's a Canadian broadcast, so I automatically take them with a grain of salt. But you're right. I noticed the same thing a few weeks ago after the Isles beat the Avalanche 6-0. I found myself wondering "did we play tonight?" because our game didn't get mentioned until the end of the broadcast. However, Jamie McLennan and Kevin Weekes on NHL Tonight have more than noticed the Isles improvement this season.

I realize that it will take more than 1/4 of the season to undo the way the Islanders are perceived around the media, especially the Canadian media. But the worm is starting to turn.

One win at a time.....

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Listen to NHL radio on XM almost all the hosts and most of the experts are very high on the Islanders. I think it was this past Tuesday the afternoon show was a regular Islander love fest.

BTW and for what it's worth on "in the slot" with Phil Esposito, Espo loves the Islanders calls them one of the fastest in the league very deep and, hold on to your hats, very well coached. Espo say's fans who think Capuano is a bad coach have no idea what they are looking at.

Last edited:

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY

I saw the same show and basically had the same reaction. On the flip side, I was bouncing around the channels to catch the other games and when they were doing the highlights, every broadcast group had nothing but great things to say about the team.

At the end of the day, what Canadian hockey talking heads have to say is meaningless. Yes, annoying but seems like the team has a chip on their shoulder this year so I say to the Canadian broadcasters, keep it up boys, please please please discount this team, keep pouring some fuel on the guys in the Isles locker room--and yeah keep leading with Toronto and play to your audience, because to them, that is all that matters

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
I think we're getting just the right amount of respect. We've been irrelevant for so long. It's going to take extra long for people to take us serious.

Surfrat

Feb 16, 2013
NJ
I saw it's a Canadian broadcast. Wang..Wong..whoever :( Keep winning and you will earn respect. By the way Hockey Night Live has been very favorable to us.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
You have to earn respect. The Islanders haven't won anything yet. They still have a long way to go.

Last edited:

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Maybe it's just me but I think the Islanders have been getting a lot of respect from the media - especially considering our recent history. We were #1 in ESPNs power rankings - that's pretty ridiculous considering the superficial coverage they give.

Weekes and McLellan are always complimentary of hem as well. Do commentators put them up with the Pens Bruins and kings? Not yet, nor should they. It's only a 1/4 of the way through the season. :D

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
They don't deserve it and people tire of all the arrogance. I prefer a quiet confidence. Please stop the chest pounding and continue to fly under the radar.
Thanks all.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
Yes, let's savor our team. Let them be disrespected. Adds fuel to the fire.

What is annoying is now the bandwagoners will be hopping on in full force.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Personally, I don't really care about getting respect. We know what kind of team we have and it really shouldn't bother us what other people think. They'll learn when they see us out on the ice. Let our play speak for itself.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
No offense but until this team does something in the post season nobody outside of us are going to give a damn.

To them this is just a nice story and surprising but they're still the islanders anything that can go wrong in the last 20 years usually has. It's going to take more than a great start to change the perception of this franchise in the national eyes.

Thank you. Two months of solid hockey means the world to us long suffering fan, but in the grand scheme of things, it don't mean **** until this team clinches the division or wins a playoff round.

And why are we so friggin' sensitive to what outsiders and the media think? Let this team fly under the radar. Let them continue to be "**** on", as our GM so eloquently said on national television. Let other teams take them for granted. Just keep winning the games. That's all that matters!

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If we finish in the top half of seeds and win a playoff round or 2 the respect will come.

Until then it's business as usual.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau

This!!

The reason I come on here so often is because the opinions and analysis on the islanders is best HERE from you hooligans. The idiots on the nhl network espn and everywhere else don't know squat about this team and can go suck a fat one

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
That's nothing. How about that Brick Nielson guy they just drafted?

Understand, when you have a wedding ring you lost down the sink, that sank to the bottom of your cesspool and stayed there for two decades, if you ever get it back it is going to take a little time to get the **** off it. In our case it will probably take a couple of years of good standings, even if we came in top 4 in the league. Just look at San Jose. Considering their very strong record the past 8 years they still get ignored too.

The good news is the players don't care. They watch the standings and the scoreboard. That's all that matters, not what some talking head who sucks up to the Leafs thinks. Kadri for Tavares & Nelson (sweetener). Yeah...

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Maybe it's just me but I think the Islanders have been getting a lot of respect from the media - especially considering our recent history. We were #1 in ESPNs power rankings - that's pretty ridiculous considering the superficial coverage they give.

Weekes and McLellan are always complimentary of hem as well. Do commentators put them up with the Pens Bruins and kings? Not yet, nor should they. It's only a 1/4 of the way through the season. :D

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
Listen to NHL radio on XM almost all the hosts and most of the experts are very high on the Islanders. I think it was this past Tuesday the afternoon show was a regular Islander love fest.

BTW and for what it's worth on "in the slot" with Phil Esposito, Espo loves the Islanders calls them one of the fastest in the league very deep and, hold on to your hats, very well coached. Espo say's fans who think Capuano is a bad coach have no idea what they are looking at.

Hat firmly in hand...:)

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
The Hockey News has the Isles at the top of their power rankings and that was before last night's game. So it's not all bad.

There are a few around the media who have a problem with us and that's fine. The guys are playing with a chip on their shoulder and it seems to just make them stronger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad