No QO for Pirri

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I doubt these things occur in a vacuum and I'm sure BM talked with Pirri's agent and went through all the different scenarios. It could be that both sides agreed on this approach and will come to a deal in July. Or they have already both agreed to walk away.

mytduxfan*

I wasn't that high on Pirri. He's probably being moved for the same reasons Perreault was, BM doesn't feel he'll be worth his contract. Good decision IMO.

Oct 18, 2011
Pretty dumb, we could get cheap production from Pirri, hope this doesn't end up like Perreault did

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I'm going to guess that Murray REALLY hates arbitration, and will avoid it at all costs. That's probably all the rationale there is to it.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
You can walk away from an arbitration award. I don't get it. Maybe he's afraid he will score 30 next year.

:laugh: Must be, Bob knows how to dodge those bullets!

I think there's some benchmark that prevents teams from walking away from an arb decision... anything under $3M or so IIRC

Last edited:

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I wasn't that high on Pirri. He's probably being moved for the same reasons Perreault was, BM doesn't feel he'll be worth his contract. Good decision IMO.

Bonino
Perreault
Beleskey
Palmieri
Pirri?
Perron?
McGinn?

All goal scorers we traded/let walk. Ritchie better be the real deal.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
:laugh: Must be, Bob knows how to dodge those bullets!

I think there's some benchmark that prevents teams from walking away from an arb decision... anything under $3M or so IIRC

It's 3.5M, indexed to cap inflation (so I have no idea what the number is). I can't see him getting that kind of money, but who knows.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
:

I believe that the number is higher than $3.5. See the linked article, which is out of date, but which indicates that at one time it was $3.5 million and increases with the salary cap.
http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/538417

Given where the Ducks are with regards to the cap and their own internal budget, I suspect that BM had been in contract with Pirri's agent and suggested a figure that would be reasonable from the Ducks perspective, and that Pirri wanted more. After all the Ducks signed a number of RFA's either prior to or today, which means that the team had been negotiating with them. BM probably did not want to take a chance that Pirri would go to arbitration and get something like $2.5 - 3.5 million, and the team would be stuck at that award.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
It's 3.5M, indexed to cap inflation (so I have no idea what the number is). I can't see him getting that kind of money, but who knows.

Scratch that. The article GreatBear posted says teams can walk away from awards in excess of $3.5 million, so unless I'm being dense (likely), it seems that we would have been stuck with an award less than that, which was most likely going to be the case.

Last edited:

mytduxfan*

Bonino
Perreault
Beleskey
Palmieri
Pirri?
Perron?
McGinn?

Bonino - Traded for Kesler. Are you telling me you wouldn't do that deal again? I would and twice on Sundays.
Perreault - Yeah, bad move by BM.
Beleskey - Don't care he's gone. Too expensive for what he brings. $4M for a guy who didn't even put up 40 pts last. And some people are hard on Silf... wow.
Palmieri - Still a good trade given what Palms had achieved at the time. You're viewing this with hindsight. Palms wasn't a 30 goals scorer here and probably never would have been.
Pirri? - Can score, but that's about it. Probably going to get paid. We can't afford him. What's the problem?
Perron? - Dunno yet... definitely better players available. I'll wait to criticise BM if he doesn't bring back Perron AND doesn't sign a big name UFA. Until then, I have no problem letting Perron walk.
McGinn? - I wouldn't class McGinn as a pure "goal scorer". Another player looking to get paid. I think there are better options and players that'll give us a better bang for our buck.

You're being very selective and very harsh. Apart from MP, I think all of those moves are justified.

I think I'll see what BM replaces Pirri and Perron with before I start calling for his head.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
He seems like an ok piece. Didn't get to see him enough to really grasp him as a player. Hopefully Bob keeps him for a reasonable price.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Bonino
Perreault
Beleskey
Palmieri
Pirri?
Perron?
McGinn?

We scored too many goals anyways -TJM

It's better if we score less in the beginning of the season so we lose more. Then we can pick up momentum and roll into the playoffs on a hot streak and be right where we want to be -CS

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Perreault and Palmieri are the standout bonehead moves on that list, the rest could be cut different ways, and are more understandable.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
Perreault and Palmieri are the standout bonehead moves on that list, the rest could be cut different ways, and are more understandable.

Am I missing where Palms was gonna play? He wasn't going to be in our top 6 with Silf and Perry.

No one anticipated rolling 3 lines for a long period of time.

NJD gave him top line minutes and he delivered.

If we keep Palms, we probably never trade for Perron and never get rid of Hagelin's contract.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Am I missing where Palms was gonna play? He wasn't going to be in our top 6 with Silf and Perry.

No one anticipated rolling 3 lines for a long period of time.

NJD gave him top line minutes and he delivered.

If we keep Palms, we probably never trade for Perron and never get rid of Hagelin's contract.

Pretty easy
Perron Getzlaf Palms
McGinn Rakell Perry
Cogs Kesler Silf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad