No one comes to 11 yr olds B-day party, Leafs+NHLers step up

illpucks

May 26, 2011
It's cool, but it's nothing more than PR. To prove my point, look at how many of them wish this kid happy birthday next year

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Too much angst in the world. This is not a big deal.

Manufactured or not, a bunch of players and celebs did a nice thing. THAT is not debatable.

Players took a bit of time to do something nice for a kid who, regardless of the situation, looks like he could use some kindness.

What next? Player visits a hospital, and someone going to suggest one or two kids are faking being sick???

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Thank you for proving my point.

By now attacking me and reverting to name calling just because I don’t agree with you, you’re no better than the “losers” that you say I am.
And btw I agree with you. Little kid doesn’t deserve birthday wishes. I’m not a birthday wish machine. Too good for that shit.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
And btw I agree with you. Little kid doesn’t deserve birthday wishes. I’m not a birthday wish machine. Too good for that ****.
I gave out some candy to Halloweeners the other night. Just those that could prove they actually were hungry, of course.:laugh:

Far too many people trying to pull a fast one these days. Cannot be too careful. Gotta stay vigilant.

Reactions: Groane

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
I gave out some candy to Halloweeners the other night. Just those that could prove they actually were hungry, of course.:laugh:

Far too many people trying to pull a fast one these days. Cannot be too careful. Gotta stay vigilant.
I had some fake trick or treaters stop by my house as well. I punched them and they left.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I had some fake trick or treaters stop by my house as well. I punched them and they left.
I think you are wise. I did same thing with a homeless guy the other day. Had audacity to hold a sign up saying he needed money for food. Probably going to spend it on booze. Homeless guy living on cold streets begging for money to spend on cheap wine does not deserve my compassion or help. He should be in his house using his WiFi to contemplate whether some random kid has friends or does not. Important issue that needs much more debate and suspicion.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
I think you are wise. I did same thing with a homeless guy the other day. Had audacity to hold a sign up saying he needed money for food. Probably going to spend it on booze. Homeless guy living on cold streets begging for money to spend on cheap wine does not deserve my compassion or help. He should be in his house using his WiFi to contemplate whether some random kid has friends or does not. Important issue that needs much more debate and suspicion.
It’s just a hobby. I read an article.

Reactions: Number8

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
It’s sad how little people care about other people. F’em.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Not to mention the fact that dad just friend-shamed his own kid......like, "hey internet, no one came to my kid's birthday party. Here he is in a depressing empty room, looking like he just finished crying."

I don't think I'd want my picture taken if I was the kid in that situation, maybe that's just me though. I don't have any kids so I can't attest to the lengths some parents would go but this does seem a bit much.

I cringed when I saw his tweet. I think people really need to put a thought into slapping their kid's name/face on social media because the kid is the one who is going to take the brunt of it. All the kids who didn't show up are being shamed, albeit not publicly.

Reactions: Elias GOATtersson

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
You know, i kinda had that feeling. Like I mean he made it public and IDed himself so its like telling the internet his son has friend issues? Like i was thinking the last thing i would want to do when i had that occur was to announce it to the world.

I agree and I don’t think it’s up to athletes and celebrities to respond to public groveling. Sure it only takes a second but how many copycats will there be now. Don’t make the internet fix the world for you.

Reactions: tfong

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
It’s sad how little people care about other people. F’em.
All joking aside, it’s truly amazing.

People should imagine for a moment that this story is exactly as reported.

Maybe a lonely awkward boy invites people for a bday party and no one shows. Father broadcasts his picture and sad state of affairs on social media (awkward and maybe exacerbating problem). Some players and celebs take a moment to do something nice (and alleviating problem 1 and 2 somewhat — or a lot).

Then a bunch of internet jockeys piss all over it by saying it’s not true (and, yes, the kid will see the nice responses AND the piss taking) casting a negative shadow on some good coming out of an overall crappy situation regardless of the actual truth.

We wonder why some people go off the rails in life. And to what end? Who cares what the real story is — beyond something nice happening.

Society reaps what it sews.

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
Reminds me of when I tell my mom something is probably fake, and she responds with "who cares, it's a nice thing!". Not the point...

bunch of suckers.

Reactions: Number8

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

Maybe a lonely awkward boy invites people for a bday party and no one shows. Father broadcasts his picture and sad state of affairs on social media (awkward and maybe exacerbating problem). Some players and celebs take a moment to do something nice (and alleviating problem 1 and 2 somewhat — or a lot).

Then a bunch of internet jockeys piss all over it by saying it’s not true (and, yes, the kid will see the nice responses AND the piss taking) casting a negative shadow on some good coming out of an overall crappy situation regardless of the actual truth.

We wonder why some people go off the rails in life. And to what end? Who cares what the real story is — beyond something nice happening.

Nobody is saying anything against the players, what they and the Leafs are doing is amazing. At the same time, how exactly would they react in this situation? They had no choice but to do something beyond just tweet a birthday message. The father tagged a couple of them so if they didn't reply and do something they'd look bad.

Reactions: ronduguayshair

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place

I’m not gonna say the kid will go crazy. But what if he was just some kid who has no friends because chemotherapy made him bald? We don’t know and kids are mean like that. It’s seriously f***ed up that a parent of a different kid would have no compassion for the plight of another kid. I don’t mean that it’s kinda f***ed up. I mean that the lack of compassion for children is seriously f***ed up.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I agree and I don’t think it’s up to athletes and celebrities to respond to public groveling. Sure it only takes a second but how many copycats will there be now. Don’t make the internet fix the world for you.
I think it is up to athletes and celebs to do what they want to do. In this case they took things a face value and decided to do something nice.

Internet should not be relied upon to fix the world. On other hand, it shouldn’t be used to harm either.

Who cares what a bunch of anonymous internet users think about the kid and his situation? Regardless of exact situation he’s in, I think we can all agree we’d not want our kid in that situation. Why pile on? At best it makes a bad situation worse. At worst (and I’m not saying it’s the case here) it might make another awkward kid even more alienated and ostracized. And we’ve all seen examples of that not working out so well.

I’m not suggesting father made smart move broadcasting this — I’d have taken a different approach it it were my kid. However, since he did, shouldn’t we all agree this kid’s situation isn’t ideal regardless? Probably could use a little support, or just be left alone if we, an athlete, or a celeb chooses simply not to weigh in one way or another?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
If I’m being honest, this story seems pretty manufactured. Like maybe it’s a real story and that sucks for the kid but pretty desperate plea for attention from the parents here. Like how do they expect people to react? I mean it’s nice that these players and celebs are wishing him a happy birthday but none of its real. It’s all about likes on the internet. Celebs joining in are just getting in on the momentum.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
If I’m being honest, this story seems pretty manufactured. Like maybe it’s a real story and that sucks for the kid but pretty desperate plea for attention from the parents here. Like how do they expect people to react? I mean it’s nice that these players and celebs are wishing him a happy birthday but none of its real. It’s all about likes on the internet. Celebs joining in are just getting in on the momentum.
You know none of that to be true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad