No Devils media availablity before training camp per Lou

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If you don't like how The Lou does things there are plenty of other teams to watch.

I don't agree with this at all unless I'm misunderstanding you. It seems if you criticize Lou at all he's off limits. If you complain about Marty or anyone else though it's fine.

There's definitely that double standard. And I'm not saying you, because I might have misunderstood you, but I've seen it before plenty.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I don't agree with this at all unless I'm misunderstanding you. It seems if you criticize Lou at all he's off limits. If you complain about Marty or anyone else though it's fine.

There's definitely that double standard. And I'm not saying you, because I might have misunderstood you, but I've seen it before plenty.

For me, it's more the degree. TG is acting like this is surprising and fans should get all super pissed off over it.

Instead, it seems to me, most fans accept that this is normal Devils behavior and it's something we accept as the way the team chooses to run itself.

So to say you disagree with the policy wouldn't be unfair, but to act like it's a huge problem and slap in the fans faces, when this is just normal procedure, is going over the top.

Edit: Also, for TG, the reporter, to basically tell fans they should be upset is acting like a baby and trying to create the news rather than report the news.

Oroku Saki*

It's 2013 Lou. Love the guy but he needs to loosen up a bit. Fans love that kind of stuff and we'd get a ton of info that would benefit all of us avid fans.

feerlessleadr

Jul 1, 2006
New Jersey
So if the Devils allowed media before camp started, fans would come back with open arms, they would sell tickets, and the lockout fallout would all be resolved?

you're right, that's exactly what I said....

All I said is that TG isn't wrong when saying closing the media out to players in 'pre-camp' doesn't exactly help the case of TRYING to win back fan support.

Regardless of how Lou has operated in the past, rightly or wrongly, shutting the fans out doesn't seem like a smart move after so much resentment has built up with this lockout.

I usually love Lou's way of running things, and of course I'm going to still love my team no matter what, but for some of the people who are still on the fence about wanting to stay with this game, or whatever the case may be, access to the players from a fan perspective only helps to improve the relationship between the fanbase and team.

Allowing media access to the pre-camp is about as meaningful of a makeup gesture as those teams issuing 'apologies' to their fans, but as has been pointed out here and elsewhere, they have to start somewhere.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
Tom Gulitti ‏
Although other teams have made their head coaches available to media already, Devils won't let media talk to Pete DeBoer before camp opens.

Tom Gulitti ‏
Devils also won't allow media in building to watch players' informal skates prior to start of camp.

Tom Gulitti ‏
I just pleaded with Lou Lamoriello to change that policy because of circumstances coming out of the lockout and he heard me out and said no.

Lou+Lamoriello+New+Jersey+Devils+Name+New+1KIsoJs5qXMl.jpg

Maybe he doesn't want anyone to actually see to brutal group of forwards hes assembled for the 2013 hockey season.

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
Like everyone here i am so excited that the lockout is over but one week doesn't make a ****ing difference. Plus i always find it funny when TG gets mad about stuff like this.

Lou being Lou. And i love it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Seeing the other side of life with the 'all access, all news' New York Jets make me all the more appreciative of Lou's style.

Cut TG a break though, he was basically waiting around in NY all day, most every day (some out in the cold) for scraps of CBA news last week.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It's 2013 Lou. Love the guy but he needs to loosen up a bit. Fans love that kind of stuff and we'd get a ton of info that would benefit all of us avid fans.

A ton of info? Like what? The same recycled cliches that every hockey player and coach use in every interview?

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I tweeted TG saying I actually didn't care as a fan, so long as Lou did his job and gave me a good team. And that while Lou's policies may be antiquated, you can see the difference between how Devils players kept themselves in check over some other bloviators out there in the press.

Got a DM back saying that he agreed with all of that.
I guess he's just tired and cranky. He's allowed to be.

Deboer: We are all excited to be back and are looking forward to the season.

TG: Do you worry about your perceived lack of forward depth and over stock of NHL D men?

Deboer: Lou and I will meet over the next several days and we'll see what we can do. But that is Lou's area and I trust Lou's abilities.

There you go TG, you little whinge. Now go home and look at some Rick Nash highlights.

Precisely. Good god, hockey interviews can be outright brutal sometimes.
I'd love to have better access to practices and such, but I don't mind being spared the boring formalities before a legitimate practice session has even been put together.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I think all of us expected this from Lou. It is no departure from what his policies have been in the past. TG is making this out to be a much bigger deal than it actually is.

KohoDonuts88

Sep 6, 2006
New Brunswick
@TGfireandice Tom you should know by now you can only ask Lou a favour like that at the wedding of his daughter

@TGfireandice
Thank you. That made me laugh

I made Tom laugh. I'm so pleased with myself.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Some of you guys are way too hard on TG IMO. He's just trying to do his job which must be exceptionally frustrating when you cover the Devils. Overall he's very good at his job IMO.

AZNDevil

Yay band.
Jul 30, 2010
Tennessee
Some of you guys are way too hard on TG IMO. He's just trying to do his job which must be exceptionally frustrating when you cover the Devils. Overall he's very good at his job IMO.

You win (sort of) in the Lockout pool thread. You were the only person to pick a date in January, so congrats on being kind of psychic maybe.:laugh:

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
For me, it's more the degree. TG is acting like this is surprising and fans should get all super pissed off over it.

Instead, it seems to me, most fans accept that this is normal Devils behavior and it's something we accept as the way the team chooses to run itself.

So to say you disagree with the policy wouldn't be unfair, but to act like it's a huge problem and slap in the fans faces, when this is just normal procedure, is going over the top.

Edit: Also, for TG, the reporter, to basically tell fans they should be upset is acting like a baby and trying to create the news rather than report the news.

I agree. I said this earlier somewhere else.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
@TGfireandice Tom you should know by now you can only ask Lou a favour like that at the wedding of his daughter

@TGfireandice
Thank you. That made me laugh

I made Tom laugh. I'm so pleased with myself.

:laugh: Well played.

I think his daughter is already married though, so tough luck for TG.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad