No All-Stars, no problem

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
helene st james reported that the nhl asked datyuk and zetterberg about being a replacement but they turned it down. if the wings don't have a representative at the all star game, it will be because the players turned it down

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2015/01/22/detroit-red-wings-nhl/22157799/

Hey Pavel, you remember that time we suspended you when you were injured for the ASG? Yeah, we've got a few players pull out injured this year, would you mind helpi *CLICK* Hello? Pavel? Hello?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Wonder why they chose Mexico over some of them british teritorial islands, quieter there I'd assume.

I remember Red Wings guys havealmost traditionally been there, maybethey have founded some nice place.

But also, I remember Draper/Maltby/Osgood/McCarty preferred Bahamas.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
As I said in another thread, I bet Howard lost when the Wings players decided on who had to go. How many ASG have Zetterberg gone to? Not too many I think, and from the whole 2009 (or was it 2010) debacle, Datsyuk really isn't too interested in going. Everyone could really use a break and I dunno but it seems the ASG has lost in prestige every year, I think at least in part due to the fan voting meaning stuffed ballots and skewered player participation.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
As I said in another thread, I bet Howard lost when the Wings players decided on who had to go. How many ASG have Zetterberg gone to? Not too many I think, and from the whole 2009 (or was it 2010) debacle, Datsyuk really isn't too interested in going. Everyone could really use a break and I dunno but it seems the ASG has lost in prestige every year, I think at least in part due to the fan voting meaning stuffed ballots and skewered player participation.

I don't think the players have a choice when the NHL comes out with their original roster. But yea it's pretty funny and sad at the same time to see all these wings players avoiding the game like a plague. I am kind of surprised someone like Tatar or nyquist declined to go. You would think as a player that you would would want to go at least one time in your career

And I'm not buying this "need a break" thing. how much energy would they possibly expend during the whole weekend? Seems to me like it's the equivalent of playing a couple hours of pond hockey. Hardly taxing at all for an NHL player

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The All-Star Game hasn't been relevant in a long time and the current format is just silly. And even if you don't give 100% at the ASG you still have to go to "work", get in "work clothes", deal with "work people".

A mini-break can refresh your mind as much as your body or maybe even more so.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
I don't think the players have a choice when the NHL comes out with their original roster. But yea it's pretty funny and sad at the same time to see all these wings players avoiding the game like a plague. I am kind of surprised someone like Tatar or nyquist declined to go. You would think as a player that you would would want to go at least one time in your career

And I'm not buying this "need a break" thing. how much energy would they possibly expend during the whole weekend? Seems to me like it's the equivalent of playing a couple hours of pond hockey. Hardly taxing at all for an NHL player

You have to keep in mind that these guys play hockey for a job. They are on the ice almost EVERY day. It's just not "a couple hours of pond hockey" to them, if they can just get away from it.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
The All-Star Game hasn't been relevant in a long time and the current format is just silly. And even if you don't give 100% at the ASG you still have to go to "work", get in "work clothes", deal with "work people".

A mini-break can refresh your mind as much as your body or maybe even more so.

Exactly. I play rec hockey 3 times a week and even I enjoy the occasional bye week. It's not just a game to these guys, it IS work.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
You have to keep in mind that these guys play hockey for a job. They are on the ice almost EVERY day. It's just not "a couple hours of pond hockey" to them, if they can just get away from it.

It's no different than most any other full time job. Most people go to work almost every day. And most people do not get the benefit of getting a 3 month vacation in the summer every year either

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
It's no different than most any other full time job. Most people go to work almost every day. And most people do not get the benefit of getting a 3 month vacation in the summer every year either

They work out even harder than during the regular season on their "vacation". Being a professional athlete at that level is a constant job.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

Most people don't need half of those 3 months for their body to stop hurting either.

Much as some folks can't accept it, being a professional hockey player is not like a regular job. The constant travel and the incessant media pressure for one. Your boss screaming and shouting and swearing in your face every time you make a mistake. The relentless competetion against both your opponents, and the team-mates trying to take your job.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Most people don't need half of those 3 months for their body to stop hurting either.

Much as some folks can't accept it, being a professional hockey player is not like a regular job. The constant travel and the incessant media pressure for one. Your boss screaming and shouting and swearing in your face every time you make a mistake. The relentless competetion against both your opponents, and the team-mates trying to take your job.

oh please. There are tons of jobs out there that are way more stressful than being a professional athlete and don't pay nearly as much.

i am with you on the media though and i think it's the biggest reason why players don't want to go to the all star game, especially players on the wings

Chip39

Apr 19, 2013
oh please. There are tons of jobs out there that are way more stressful than being a professional athlete and don't pay nearly as much.

i am with you on the media though and i think it's the biggest reason why players don't want to go to the all star game, especially players on the wings

Very few I would assume

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Yeah NHL players get paid a lot but it is an extremely stressful job. Anxiety and depression caused by the demands of the job is probably one of the last taboos of the NHL yet it's likely a bigger issue than head injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad