nki's 2015 top 120 and scouting resource

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
You're welcome. :) I have 17 skaters + top goalies left, so I expect to be done by the end of the month.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Amazing work nki, thanks for this! It's going to be a page I'm looking at a lot during the draft next month.

I just have a few guys in my top-80 that I don't believe you have done yet. So curious to know if you are planning on doing Aho (D), Malgin and Timashov?

Once again, keep up the great work! :handclap:

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Warren - yes
Aho (D-Swe) - yes
Malgin - yes
Timashov - no, have actually just spent some time 2 days ago watching him and decided against including him in my top 120, don't see the elusiveness and deception that a guy like him needs, skating is also meh, I mean I wouldn't mind using a late pick on him but he's got ways to go the way I see it

These are the 17 skaters left in my 120, that I'll do a profile on (no order):
- Erik Foley
- Brendan Warren
- Sebastian Aho (W, FIN)
- Troy Terry
- Vyacheslav Leschenko
- Adam Helewka
- Connor Hobbs
- Radovan Bondra
- Brent Gates
- Tyler Soy
- David Cotton
- Jake Massie
- Sebastian Aho (D, SWE)
- Aleksi Saarela
- Denis Malgin
- David Kase
- John Dahlstrom

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Denis Malgin

Offensive zone ability: B-
Offensive transition ability: B-
Puck movement and possession retention: B-
Defensive transition ability: C
Defensive zone ability: C

Defense: positional
Offense: cerebral

Keywords, unique identity traits: a slightly undersized skilled center (whose NHL future would almost certainly be on wing), good skating, hands, and intelligence
Room for improvement: has several details to work on, sometimes feet stop moving through stickhandling, not much of a factor off-the-puck, can be limited to perimeter

Full analysis:
Denis Malgin is an undersized center prospect that has fluid skating and ample skill with the puck. Is good at utilizing his speed around the corners and maintaining puck posession. Will re-adjust angles to support the puck and gets open. Has good offensive zone instincts both as a playmaker as well as a scorer. However, despite the apparent skating, skill-level, and decent intelligence for the game, he does have several question marks that right now prevent him from being a top-end prospect in my mind.

In the offensive zone, clearly the instincts, the skill and the skating all are there. He is willing to support the puck and get open, and despite his smaller stature he does a pretty good job in protecting the puck with his skating and coming out of the corners with it and down the wall, where he can then make a play back to the point or cycle it back. The concern I have is that he doesn't strike me as particularly elusive or capable of cuts where he would lose a check or gain a gap to operate with, I think part of that ability is simply the excess ice you see in European leagues where defenses leave the perimeter a bit more open and collapse to the middle. So I'd like to see that ability of his consistently on NA ice before making any conclusions, as he strikes me a bit of a perimeter player. The other concern I have is that in making some of the skill plays and puck-handling, he has both the hands and the skating to execute, but when he tries to pull a skill play he will usually stop moving his feet and rely mostly on his hands, this is usually a bit of a red flag, as NHL defensemen will have little trouble defending against stickhandling without feet aiding the process.

Through transition he will support the puck and has good speed to bring it up ice, he is capable of supporting his defensemen on break-outs and has the vision to make passes that move the play along. However, I think realistically you won't see Malgin as a center at the NHL level if he does make it as he is simply not big enough to be an effective defensive player down-low, nor does he have an incredible motor or competitiveness off the puck that would offset that. Still, his speed and skill should come in handy in through transition even as a winger.

In defensive transition, he will have to improve his intensity a little bit and become more active. Especially if he transitions to wing, being a bit harder on the puck as a forechecker and a bit more of a puck-hound would help. Right now he reads the play fine, but I don't see that many puck-hound qualities, he seems rather passively involved which for a smaller guy can be a concern.

In his own zone his hockey IQ is high enough that he can track the play and keep himself in position, but there is not much added value beyond that. At his size, I think it's pretty unlikely that you will see him as a center considering the toolset he has, as it would be simply too easy for the opposition with bigger forwards to dominate the game down-low against him. He has neither the size to be a factor, nor the elite motor to disrupt plays at his size. Converting to wing full-time is probably the most likely scenario in NA.

Overall, I see Malgin as a fluid skilled wing, that is however undersized and lacking in several aspects that would make him more translatable to NHL hockey. I think if he makes it, he is a 2nd line wing that can log some PP minutes, but it would take a pretty decent development trajectory and some adjustments to arrive there. Don't see him as a fit in bottom 6 roles as he does not have the intensity or the motor off-the-puck to do that as a smaller guy.

Development focus: For Malgin, I think if he plans on playing NHL hockey a transition to wing full-time is probably in the cards. Needs to combine stickhandling and moving his feet at the same time on a consistent basis. Obviously bulking up would help as well. Needs to become more of a puck-hound and get involved in-deep as opposed to the perimeter.

Projection: If he does make it, Malgin for me has the potential to be a 2nd line skilled wing that can log some PP time. Boom or bust prospect as far as I'm concerned and has several holes to improve on that can be a big problem for undersized skilled forwards.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
These are fantastic! Thank you for sharing them with everyone.

Of the guys left, I am especially interested to read your thoughts on Foley, Warren, and Terry.

I realize that these guys are not on your list, but do you have any thoughts/observations on Adam Marsh and Jesse Gabrielle?

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
These are fantastic! Thank you for sharing them with everyone.

Of the guys left, I am especially interested to read your thoughts on Foley, Warren, and Terry.

I realize that these guys are not on your list, but do you have any thoughts/observations on Adam Marsh and Jesse Gabrielle?

Obviously Foley, Warren, and Terry will all be included and this will be finished by the end of month, so you won't have to wait long for those guys.

I like Adam Marsh, great shot and scoring instincts. If you believe he can improve shift-to-shift impact then he might be a decent choice. Also needs to fill out.

Gabrielle - came off as very bland my viewings, I've heard people say that he's a tough to play against a bit of a PWF, but just haven't seen that in the games I watched. Didn't appear very intense off the puck, didn't look above average in his use of frame to protect the puck and not very skilled either. Maybe it was just an unfortunate sample of games, but he didn't do it for me.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Obviously Foley, Warren, and Terry will all be included and this will be finished by the end of month, so you won't have to wait long for those guys.

I like Adam Marsh, great shot and scoring instincts. If you believe he can improve shift-to-shift impact then he might be a decent choice. Also needs to fill out.

Gabrielle - came off as very bland my viewings, I've heard people say that he's a tough to play against a bit of a PWF, but just haven't seen that in the games I watched. Didn't appear very intense off the puck, didn't look above average in his use of frame to protect the puck and not very skilled either. Maybe it was just an unfortunate sample of games, but he didn't do it for me.

Thanks. Again, this thread is gold, you do great work.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
One minor correction. Chaz Reddekopp will be added to the list.

Chaz Reddekopp

Offensive zone ability: C
Offensive transition ability: C
Defensive transition ability: B
Defensive zone ability: B

Defense: mixed
Offense:cerebral

Keywords, unique identity traits: a pro-sized mobile shutdown defenseman with a long active stick, good positional sense and control of space, and willingness to engage physically, can move the puck at a basic level
Room for improvement: questionable offensive upside

Full analysis:
Chaz Reddekopp is a pro-sized defenseman with good mobility that projects into a physical and smart shutdown defenseman type of role. Has an active long stick and one of the things that stood out to me with Reddekopp is his lateral agility going backwards and control of space. Despite his big size, he is capable of keeping up laterally in defending against skill players, controlling the middle of the ice and maintaining solid inside body position against them. Battles well in front of the net and on the wall. Can make the first pass but isn't a big threat offensively.

In the offensive zone Reddekopp is basic in his contributions. Since he is probably going to be more of a defensive defenseman at the next level, he'd be best in keeping his game risk-free and be a factor with getting his shots on net, making the basic plays when required and being a factor up the wall.

Through transition he shows enough ability in skating with the puck and passing that you can be comfortable with projecting him to the next level. He's obviously never going to be a rover or a pure puck-mover, but has enough of a skillset there that it's not going to have a negative effect on his game overall.

In defensive transition I quite like Reddekopp. Has very good understanding of his position, knows how to read space and what his partner is doing and adjusts angles as neeed. Long, active stick. For his size has good agility backwards, crossovers and keeps up laterally with attacking forwards with speed.

In his own zone, battles well in front of the net and at the wall. Good strength and can clear people out. Will sacrifice body to make plays. Positionally understands what he has to do and doesn't overextend hismelf in his quest to be physical but lets the game come to him and has good timing in when to engage physically.

Overall, I like Reddekopp as a pro-sized defensive defenseman that can skate and move the puck at a basic level. Really like some of his tools defensively in his lateral agility and in his control of space and the mdidle of the ice. Quite polished in that regard. The more he develops, the more minutes he could eat, but I think he'd make a perfect partner to a more skilled puck-moving defenseman or an offensive defenseman. Could play PK.

Development focus: I think for Reddekopp not pigeon-holing himself in a pure shutdown role and neglecting the rest of his skillset would be beneficial. Other than that, I quite like the polish of his defensive game as long as he maintains and develops the rest of his game to a high enough standard, he'll have a decent chance at being a player.

Projection: I'd project Reddekopp as someone who can play a shutdown role, has mobility, smarts, good stick usage and control of space and is willing to be physical. Doesn't have big offensive potential but can make the first pass and isn't a disaster with the puck. Could play PK. Would make a nice partner for a skilled puck-mover or an offensive defenseman.

Last edited:

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Tyler Soy

Defensive transition ability: C+
Defensive zone ability: C+

Keywords, unique identity traits: an intelligent, competitive, center (might be W in future) prospect with nice hands
Room for improvement: would really benefit by improving both his skating as well as adding some pounds to his frame

Full analysis:
Tyler Soy is a highly intelligent center with nice hands and willingness to engage in traffic as well as on the wall. The thing with Soy is that while he does have nice hands and a decent skill level, he won't really blow you away with his flash or his motor. What he does is, he processes the game in a very intelligent manner and amps up when he feels like he can get involved. Very good positionally, a natural in using angles, spaces and position to get involved. The issue with him is two-fold – he isn't the quickest guy around and two he has a thin frame. Filling out and adding a bit of explosiveness and an overall improvement in his skating would go a long way to making him even more projectable.

In the offensive zone, Soy is a really smart player. Obviously has the hands and the skill level to contribute but he reads the play really well and will make himself available. Will jump into holes and is good at making passes that extend zone time for his team. Willing to take hits to make plays as well and is willing to go into the dirty areas to look for a shot or a rebound.

Through transition, he supports the puck really well. Open and interested in contributing in a cerebral manner where he'll get open and make intelligent passes to move the puck up the ice. A really easy player to play with in the way he supports the team effort through smart positional decisions and smart puck-decisions.

As a forechecker he takes good routes and angles. He doesn't have the huge reach nor is he very fast so it's a bit debatable whether he'll ever be a factor as a forechecker, but he is not deficient in controlling space and understanding where the play is going.

In his own zone, again as far as anticipation goes, he reads the play fine. Will even often anticipate better than the opposition and arrive to the puck first through his smarts. The problem is he isn't very big and likely never will be, which can be a bit limiting against bigger players that are good at protecting the puck.

This brings me to my next point. I think Soy is one of those guys that would really have an exponential improvement in his overall game just by filling his frame out and improving his skating. I think he has most of the other tools to be a factor, that once the skating improves and he adds a bit of muscle, he should really take off as a player. And if that happens, I do think he has a chance at being a center as well. But realistically, a move to wing wouldn't be surprising as it's debatable whether he has the upside for top 6 C or the toolset to fit a checking role in the bottom 6. I think he could be used on either PP or PK if he develops enough, the traits for either are there.

Development focus: If there's a guy that would really see a tremendous improvement overall just by improving his skating and adding some muscle to his frame, then I think it's Soy. That is not to say that his skating right now is bad, it just doesn't have the jump and the speed that would in combination with a couple of more pounds really allow his game to take off.

Projection: I would think that a move to wing would probably be realistic if he ever makes the NHL. But adding some bulk and improving his skating could also allow him to stay at C. I think he's either a 2nd or 3rd line forward if he makes it (which is admittedly a pretty big if). Intelligent, good hands, competes well. Has outlines of both PP and PK ability.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Adam Helewka

Defensive transition ability: C

Keywords, unique identity traits: a mid-sized wing, has good smarts all over the ice, decent mobility and puck-handling, and scoring instincts
Room for improvement: could be more aggressive as a forechecker and in off-the-puck defensive situations, could also extend zone time a bit better

Full analysis:
Adam Helewka is a mid-sized wing prospect that has decent mobility, supports the puck well and relies mostly on his instinctual game to be a factor on ice. What I like about Helewka is that he has a sort of instinctive knowledge of the flow of the game and how to get involved within it to produce. Reads space well in that manner in jumping into holes. Pretty good vision with the puck and can set up linemates as well. Excels in reading space, setting up and then producing off that. You might not really notice anything flashy about him but he consistently goes to scoring areas and finds space there, not necessarily in a competitive battling in front of the net manner, but more off timing and feel. I don't think any particular technical or physical tool of his stands out on its own, but he's sort of a decently well-rounded forward that really impacts the game through his instincts overall as a 200 foot player as well as scoring instincts.

In the offensive zone, Helewka is one of those guys that while having decent skill won't really jump out at you with flash. He's a good stickhandler and despite not having off-the-charts top-end speed or jump in his skating, he is quite capable of being manoeuvrable on the ice as he has good lateral agility and can handle the puck mid-stride. The way he produces quite understated in nature, he isn't a power forward nor a very skilled player, but he uses his instincts to get involved and exploits space to his and his team's advantage. I do think he could protect the puck a bit more off-the-cycle and create a bit more zone time as well.

Through transition he has decent speed and ability to change angles with the puck. Can gain the zone and is decent at entries. Supports the puck well and will look to get open both in the offensive zone as well as coming out of his own zone and through the neutral zone.

In defensive transition, while he reads the play at a decent level, I do think he could be a bit more aggressive on the puck. I think there's room for improvement there in how engaging he is, the intensity he plays with in forechecking scenarios and in utilizing his stick to steer the play. Wouldn't call him deficient, but given his toolset and where he projects, he'd benefit by polishing some of those factors out.

In his own zone, again positionally solid and has the ability to read the play. But I question whether his skill level is high enough for him to basically be an average defensive player off-the-puck. I'm not sure whether he has top 6 qualities and improving some of those off-the-puck defensive factors from average to an area of his game where he'd really consistently produce positive value for his team, would really help him with how he projects. Right now, the way he is, he might simply end up being a tweener or a career AHLer if improvement isn't made in that regard. Has some pretty decent tools though that at least offer him that developmental path.

Overall, I see Helewka as a mid-sized wing, that can be a 3 zone player, has good instincts, decent speed and ability to handle the puck and can be a scorer. Makes smart plays and is a pretty intelligent cerebral hockey player. If he managed to add some aggression off-the-puck to his game, he'd probably start looking pretty projectable to a middle six role. Right now he might be more of a tweener without any improvement in those aspects.

Development focus: I'd say for Helewka if he could utilize his frame a bit better to sustain zone time and especially if he'd became a bit harder to play against in defensive situations without the puck, as a forechecker or in his own zone, then he'd look more projectable overall.

Projection: If Helewka does make it, he's probably a 3rd line guy that can chip in and play responsible hockey. Needs to add some aggressiveness as a forechecker and in off-the-puck situations though, or he might end up being a tweener/career AHL-er. Has some decent tools though.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Vili Saarijarvi

Offensive transition ability: B
Defensive transition ability: B-

Where do you think Saarijärvi will get drafted? 5th-6th round?

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Where do you think Saarijärvi will get drafted? 5th-6th round?

Is he going to Karpat next season? I think teams would probably prefer that he stay in NA. I liked him in my viewings but he is undersized quite a bit, competes well though. I don't think he will go in the first three rounds if I had to guess, but after that it's certainly possible.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Alright. My final full 120 ranking + top goalies will be released on May 31st (Sunday). I'll open a new thread for that. But since a large chunk of my rankings are effectively already completed, I figured I'll give you my final top 30, there will be no more changes to this.

1. Connor McDavid
2. Jack Eichel
3. Noah Hanifin
4. Mitchell Marner
5. Pavel Zacha
6. Dylan Strome
7. Ivan Provorov
8. Lawson Crouse
9. Kyle Connor
10. Travis Konecny
11. Zach Werenski
12. Mathew Barzal
13. Mikko Rantanen
14. Timo Meier
15. Thomas Chabot
16. Paul Bittner
17. Jacob Larsson
18. Brandon Carlo
19. Jansen Harkins
20. Travis Dermott
21. Jakub Zboril
22. Christian Fischer
23. Nicolas Meloche
24. Joel Eriksson-Ek
25. Colin White
26. Denis Guryanov
27. Jordan Greenway
28. Nick Merkley
29. Daniel Sprong
30. Vince Dunn

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Connor Hobbs

Offensive zone ability: C+

Keywords, unique identity traits: a mobile pro-sized defenseman, moves the puck well, good at puck-retrievals, competes well
Room for improvement: needs to develop something that would stand out in order to project more than as a depth defenseman, a bit bland

Full analysis:
Connor Hobbs is a decently sized, mobile fluid skating defenseman that relies mostly on his skating and hockey IQ to be a defensive presence on ice. Competes well but not a huge physical factor. Shows ability in puck-retrieval and moving the puck out of his zone through passing. Capable of delays and can re-adjust with his skating. Gets offensively involved when something opens up, but seems mindful of his position and not exposing himself to a lot of risk. Has several tools but is a bit bland as a finished product at this point in time.

In the offensive zone, he will get involved deep by sneaking into space if he can, but prefers a risk-free game that doesn't expose his team to unneeded breakdowns. Moves the puck around well, his skating allows him to pinch when needed. I think he could work on being more of a consistent shot threat, as well as in utilizing his body to be a bit more of a physical factor up the wall and in winning 50-50 battles. Seems like he has the tools but not necessarily a carved out consistent game.

Through transition, he is capable of both skating as well as passing the puck. There have been moments in my viewings where he shows some of that rover ability, but it would be fair to say that he will only skate with the puck as much as it's needed before he can dish it off with a nice pass. Solid if unspectacular on breakouts, don't think it's going to be a strength of his, but he can do his job.

In defensive transition, he has decent mobility. I think stick usage and positioning that would steer the play to the outside could be better. Where I do like him is in puck-retrievals as he is pretty good in picking up loose pucks and moving them out quickly before the forecheck can be established and competes in those scenarios.

In his own zone, he is positionally solid. I think his stick could be more active, I also think he could use his frame more consistently in terms of obtaining inside body position. He is willing to block shots and competes well and will engage, but I think at his size which is decent enough, he could probably be better in not just engaging but utilizing it to remove the carrier from the puck. Could be better at pinning people down at the wall and breaking up possession more consistently through his physicality which is not that he won't engage physically, but I think it lacks the polish and the structure of proper angles that would result in puck posession.

Overall, I like Hobbs as a low-maintenance, mobile, decently sized puck-moving defenseman that competes well. He is a bit bland in terms of not being a huge physical factor with obtaining possession in defensive zone nor a big offensive producer right now, but there are some tools there that make him a decent prospect. If he improves on some of them or adds something new to his arsenal then he'd be even more projectable, even if he is raw right now. Right now I see him basically as a depth defenseman that can log some minutes without hurting you, but won't necessarily tilt the ice in your favor.

Development focus: I'd say for Hobbs the main thing for him to do if he wants to project past just a depth defenseman, he'll need to start adding something to his game that makes him stand out a bit more and make him projectable to a particular role. Whether that is transposing his tools to be a bigger presence on the offensive blue-line or using his physicality for puck-separation in his own end or developing further as a positional defenseman with stick ability, anything like that would help.

Projection: I'd say Hobbs projects as a defenseman with decent size that can move the puck a bit and competes well and has decent mobility. Right now I see him basically as a 3rd pairing guy or a depth defenseman, if he develops some tool of his further whether it is developing into an elite positional defenseman with stick ability, or adding more consistent offensive blueline presence or using physicality in a consistent manner for puck-separation, or further improving his skating, then we could start looking at him as someone who would be capable of a bigger role down the line.

Last edited:

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Sebastian Aho (W, FIN)

Puck movement and possession retention: C+

Offense: mixed

Keywords, unique identity traits: a slightly undersized winger with both skill and a very nice motor, plays bigger than size, good vision
Room for improvement: needs to fill out to have a chance at playing his style of game at the NHL level

Full analysis:
Sebastian Aho is a slightly undersized winger that is both quite skilled with the puck as well as a puck-hound type forward off-the-puck. Although it is questionable whether his size will ever fill out for him to be that at the NHL level, or whether his skill level is high enough, it is still nonetheless fair to say that Aho has several alluring tools at his disposal. And by far for me the asset that I like best, is his jump or motor as we would say in combination with his ability to keep his head up and make plays. Always active regardless of situation. Lateral agility, acceleration are both there, top speed is decent but not high-end, has a shorter stride.

In the offensive zone Aho plays quite at a high pace. Not much second-guessing, processes the play fast, jumps on loose pucks, will sacrifice body up the wall or in front of the net. You wouldn't ever think that he's a bit undersized because he plays much bigger. Has very nice vision with the puck and ability to make plays. Skill level in puck-handling is decent but not a magician. Needs to fill out so that he can make a couple of more plays with his back against the checker. Quite reliant on his motor right now and might be less useful in more slower grinding settings.

Through transition he is mindful of supporting the puck and his defensemen. As a winger he has a nice balance between supporting his team in his own zone through transition and picking up speed to be a factor off-the-rush. Nice acceleration and lateral agility allow him to gain entry and has the vision to make you pay if the open space is there. Nice passing ability as well, 2 on 1s can be dangerous with him, has the drive and a nice saucer pass as well.

In defensive transition, Aho despite his thinner frame actually looks like he has a pretty decent reach. I like his jump, his aggressiveness on the puck, his positional sense in steering the play, his willingness to engage, and his active stick. He is listed at 5'11 (on EP) so despite a thinner frame I suppose that it's not that surprising that he looks to have a pretty decent reach and stick ability off-the-puck. Like him on forecheck but will backcheck as well.

In his own zone, Aho is a bit limited due to his thinner frame. Still, he has decent positional sense, active stick. And plays with jump to his game. Not worried about him being a passive observer as he likes to get involved even if the physical tools aren't there for him to be a big defensive factor.

Overall, I view Aho as a slightly undersized winger that has both the skill level and the motor to be a factor. Good hockey IQ. The concern is that he might not quite be a top 6 quality player once you take into account his lack of size. But I do see him having the toolset to be a 3rd line buzzsaw with some skill if he filled out. I think 2nd line might be a longshot chance. Also think he shows the toolset for both PK or PP ability.

Development focus: I'd say for Aho the main thing would really be filling out. Once he does that, he should be able to extend zone time a bit better down-low with his back against the checker. Adding a bit of size will really aid him overall as he likes to be quite engaged and aggressive within the game.

Projection: I'd project Aho as having the potential to be a 3rd line buzzsaw with some skill that has both PP as well as PK qualities. 2nd line wouldn't be out of question if his development went particularly well. Needs to fill out for either role.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Alright. My final full 120 ranking + top goalies will be released on May 31st (Sunday). I'll open a new thread for that. But since a large chunk of my rankings are effectively already completed, I figured I'll give you my final top 30, there will be no more changes to this.

1. Connor McDavid
2. Jack Eichel
3. Noah Hanifin
4. Mitchell Marner
5. Pavel Zacha
6. Dylan Strome
7. Ivan Provorov
8. Lawson Crouse
9. Kyle Connor
10. Travis Konecny
11. Zach Werenski
12. Mathew Barzal
13. Mikko Rantanen
14. Timo Meier
15. Thomas Chabot
16. Paul Bittner
17. Jacob Larsson
18. Brandon Carlo
19. Jansen Harkins
20. Travis Dermott
21. Jakub Zboril
22. Christian Fischer
23. Nicolas Meloche
24. Joel Eriksson-Ek
25. Colin White
26. Denis Guryanov
27. Jordan Greenway
28. Nick Merkley
29. Daniel Sprong
30. Vince Dunn

Nice.

I expect you'll get some flak for having Connor & Konecny over Barzal, and no Jeremy Roy in the top 30. No Kylington but that's not a huge shock right now.

Who's the other one? Oh yeah, Svechnikov.

DangleSprong

DekesFromAmsterdam
Oct 24, 2013
PEI

1. Connor McDavid
2. Jack Eichel
3. Noah Hanifin
4. Mitchell Marner
5. Pavel Zacha
6. Dylan Strome
7. Ivan Provorov
8. Lawson Crouse
9. Kyle Connor
10. Travis Konecny
11. Zach Werenski
12. Mathew Barzal
13. Mikko Rantanen
14. Timo Meier
15. Thomas Chabot
16. Paul Bittner
17. Jacob Larsson
18. Brandon Carlo
19. Jansen Harkins
20. Travis Dermott
21. Jakub Zboril
22. Christian Fischer
23. Nicolas Meloche
24. Joel Eriksson-Ek
25. Colin White
26. Denis Guryanov
27. Jordan Greenway
28. Nick Merkley
29. Daniel Sprong
30. Vince Dunn

Deep draft?

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Nice.

I expect you'll get some flak for having Connor & Konecny over Barzal, and no Jeremy Roy in the top 30. No Kylington but that's not a huge shock right now.

Who's the other one? Oh yeah, Svechnikov.

Kylington - was never that high on him to begin with, at least not top 5 as you've seen early in the year on some lists. Obviously the tools are still there, but I thought he actually got worse as the year went on. You can't completely ignore the tools though.

Barzal - I prefer Connor & Konecny as players in a vacuum. This is close enough that you can bump Barzal up considerably if you are desperate for a center piece. A team like NJ that would maybe like to add a key offensive piece down the middle to build around could possibly prefer Barzal and I find nothing wrong with that as he probably fits that role better than either Konecny or Connor.

J. Roy - I think he's too much of a boom/bust. More than Dunn even, who in my opinion only has to become more controlled in his offensive approach and bulk up a bit in order to be an NHL player. I think he has easier fixes to make than J. Roy. But that might be a controversial opinion.

Svechnikov - I'm just not sold on him. Every game I watch I come away thinking that he has tools that he doesn't know how to utilize to make a shift-by-shift impact. I've talked about Svechnikov before as well and I think it's a mismatch between what his tools are and what type of player he fancies himself as.

Deep draft?

For me in the first round it starts falling off at 19-21. On my list it would be 21, but you would have 2 guys in Larsson and Dermott that you could probably trade back say if you were picking 21 and still get them. I don't see a huge difference between whether you're picking 25 or 35. Even 20-40 seems reasonably close to me.

RichBaster

Feb 18, 2015
For me in the first round it starts falling off at 19-21. On my list it would be 21, but you would have 2 guys in Larsson and Dermott that you could probably trade back say if you were picking 21 and still get them. I don't see a huge difference between whether you're picking 25 or 35. Even 20-40 seems reasonably close to me.
Interesting, so you're seeing a tiering at 20 and then around 40 in terms of the talent pool. Where do you see it breakdown from there after 40? Is it around 60 like it seems to be every 20 or so players?

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Interesting, so you're seeing a tiering at 20 and then around 40 in terms of the talent pool. Where do you see it breakdown from there after 40? Is it around 60 like it seems to be every 20 or so players?

I'm not saying that it's exactly at 40. I'm saying that I think you could get a comparable prospect if you're picking at roughly 25 or 35, it doesn't really make that much of a difference. Not really into tier-ing everything, but if I have to say that there is a tier, I would say on my list, my feeling is that there is a slight break after that 19-21 range. I don't see the point of going into tiers after that aside from establishing which group of players you'd like to draft with which pick. Which's got more to do with individual team preferences and shortlisting, rather than general drop-offs. IE we have these 5 players that we'd be happy to get in 3rd round, we have these next 5 players that we like and think we could get in 4th etc.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Aleksi Saarela

Defensive zone ability: B-

Keywords, unique identity traits: a sturdy mid-sized do it all C/W prospect, nice shot, competes well in all zones, reads the play, willing to go into traffic, physically engaging
Room for improvement: could sustain zone time a bit better both off cycle as well as after zone entries, skill-level isn't really off-the-charts

Full analysis:
Aleksi Saarela is a mid-sized but sturdy forward prospect capable of playing both center and wing positions. Competes well, is committed to being a two-way player and is physically engaging in all three zones. Keeps an active stick off-the-puck, will block shots and tracks the play well both with and without the puck. Offensively looks to jump into holes to get his shot off, but also displays playmaking ability. Willing to drive the net and play in traffic. Has a good shot and can be a scorer.

In the offensive zone Saarela has both strengths as well as some room for improvement. First, he is pretty good at reading the play, jumping into holes, and has a pretty decent shot. Competes well, doesn't mind being physically involved either in driving the net or taking hits to make plays. His vision is decent and he is capable of finding someone open. Reads the play well and can support the puck in order to extend zone time. I do think he could be a bit better at protecting the puck on the wall and maintaining possession with his back against the checker, which would result in even more offensive zone time for his team.

In transition he has good but not spectacular speed. Can skate with the puck. Will aid his team with break-outs. Has good off-the-puck anticipation which allows him to sometimes cause turnovers. Good at being a factor off turnovers in terms of both immediately supporting the puck and picking up speed. Willing to drive the net off zone entries if it's a rush. Could be a bit better in extending possession through controlled entries though.

In defensive transition he competes well. Has a decently active stick, but not an elite forechecker. Controls the ice well and takes decent angles. Will engage physically and can throw a hit or two. Battles well for loose pucks.

In his own zone, I do like his compete level and willingness to sacrifice body whether it's blocking shots or battling for pucks or position. Understands what he has to do positionally and keeps track of the play. Uses stick to cover lanes and controls his space decently well. I'm not sure if he's ever going to be an elite defensive player but he is clearly well-schooled in that regard and not deficient.

Overall, I like Saarela as a sturdy mid-sized center/wing prospect that competes well, is physically engaging, can skate, has decent hockey IQ, can make plays with the puck and has scoring instincts and a pretty decent shot. I do think that if he hits his potential that he can be a 3rd line C/W that can chip in a few goals and log some PK time. Diligent 3 zone player but not an elite defensive presence. Can be counted on in most situations as he is both reasonably smart as well as competitive and physically engaging.

Development focus: I do think Saarela could use his body a bit better in order to extend offensive zone time. Could be better on the wall and in protecting the puck with his back against the checker.

Projection: I think Saarela's potential is a mid-sized two-way C/W prospect that can log some PK time. Diligent in all zones, competes well, physically engaging, and can pot a few goals with his shot.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
I'll be making one adjustment to the later rounds of my top 120, Stephen Desrocher will go in and Steven Ruggiero out.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Brendan Warren

Defensive transition ability: C+

Keywords, unique identity traits: a mid-sized wing that has a bit of a power-forward feel, good mobility in all directions, some scoring instincts and decent shot, willing to get involved down-low and in traffic
Room for improvement: could utilize his skating ability better in defensive off-the-puck situations, could be better at gaining zone time after entries and extending the cycle

Full analysis:
Brendan Warren is a mid-sized winger, that I like as a bit of a power-forward that can be a factor down low and around the net. Decent skill level but won't blow you away in that regard. Competes well, although I do think he could move his feet off-the-puck in defensive situations a bit more, seems to glide a bit excessively at times, when he could be more of a puck-hound. His skating ability by itself is quite good, has a very nice fluid motion, both acceleration and top speed are there, comfortable with crossovers. I think he could utilize that a bit better in order to protect the puck a bit more, but he is already pretty good at getting involved down low around the net and in scoring areas through his instincts and looking for his shot.

In the offensive zone, I think Warren has room for improvement in maintaining possession for his team. He is capable of making plays, but I think considering his skating ability and a decent frame, he could be a bit more involved in protecting the puck down low and establishing a presence on the cycle. Has a good shot, good agility and lateral movement allows him to buzz around scoring areas. Doesn't mind traffic and will engage physically.

Through transition he is capable of skating with the puck. Has the acceleration, the top speed and a really fluid motion with his crossovers that allows him to have a bit of that lateral elusiveness. Can gain entry. But plays made off entry could be a bit better, doesn't show high-end vision with the puck. I think if he learned to curl back a bit more once he gains entry and look for his options a bit more then that would result in more puck-possession for his team.

In defensive transition, I do think he could use his stick and skating a bit more to be a factor on the forecheck. He is occasionally physical and I'm not questioning his compete level off-the-puck, but there's room for improvement I would say in how consistently he utilizes his skating to be hard on the puck. Considering that he has the tools to be a puck-hound, I'd love to see a bit more of that at a consistent level.

In his own zone, again positionally sound and willing to support his team's effort in obtaining the puck back. Here too, I think he could move his feet a bit more consistently and look to be a bit more engaging. Despite that, he is not deficient positionally or in understanding what he has to do on the ice.

Overall, I like Warren as someone who would project to a 3rd line winger role. Has decent size, moves quite well, and has a bit of a power-forward look to him. Can be a scorer. I think once he becomes a bit more engaging defensively off-the-puck then I think he would also be capable of PK time.

Development focus: For Warren, I would like to see him improve in maintaining zone time after entries and on the cycle. I also think he could be slightly more consistently engaging in defensive off-the-puck situations.

Projection: I'd say Warren's upside is in the 3rd line winger range. Has decent size, moves well, some scoring instincts and is willing to go to scoring areas. Could play a bit of PK if he becomes a bit more engaging off-the-puck in defensive situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad