Confirmed Trade: [NJD/WSH] Jonas Siegenthaler to NJD for 2021 3rd round pick

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
At first I thought you were serious. And then I thought you were joking. Now I'm not so sure...

If the conditions are met Washington gets a first?

Hall's not signing with the Coyotes last season, since he signed with Buffalo, and Arizona didn't make the second round of last year's playoffs.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Having 9 million cleared off the Devil's books would be pretty significant. They could make some strong additions with that space.
They already have $30 million in cap space for next season, so unless they're trying to sign LeBron James then moving Subban doesn't give them the ability to do something they can't already do.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
At first I thought you were serious. And then I thought you were joking. Now I'm not so sure...

If the conditions are met Washington gets a first?

No, if the conditions are met then Washington gets NJ's 3rd.

Though I'm confused on how the conditions would be met, unless Hall gets traded to Arizona before the deadline then signs an extension with them?

Reactions: Mike Jones

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
I get this move. Have seen Siegenthaler a few times. Nothing spectacular on offensive side, but a guy who can fill a down-pairing role as a reliable body presence and defensively. Add him to the mix for getting a shot to win a legitimate job next year with some of the guys pending in the minors.

Wonder if Devils might be moving both Murray and Kulikov out now by tomorrow. Will be interesting to see if they sit one tonight.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Will have a nice career as a bottom pairing dman and top PKer. Barring injuries, wasn't going to get much time in DC. I suspect the Caps moved him out to gain a little room for a separate trade. As long as that happens, I am good with the deal. If they end up giving him up and adding nothing then it'll be questionable asset management.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
He must be extremely disappointed. From thinking he'd be playing for the Cup this spring to looking forward to vacation in a month...

He has only appeared in 7 games so far this season, so would he really have been playing for the Cup this Spring?

Now he'll get an opportunity to actually play the rest of this season, which should help him going into restricted free agency. Also seems he's good friends with Nico.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Having 9 million cleared off the Devil's books would be pretty significant. They could make some strong additions with that space.

dude they have freaking $36 million next year right now as it stands lol

the last thing we need is cap space. I don't even like Subban, but he still plays a lot of tough minutes

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Solid player... not flashy, but NJ should be happy with the player / price

This was a cap space / numbers crunch move. Also kinda sad that the Caps are moving out a guy making so little to clear a miniscule amount of cap space... flat cap has bit them in the a**

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Good call by the Caps. Gain a pick back and free up cap space to make a move now.

I’m thinking they will make a move for a veteran goalie and unload Anderson’s contract.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Siege was never going to get ice time with the Caps. He was the 8th dman on the current roster and come next season even with the departure of the likes of Chara and another defensemen via the expansion draft, Siegenthaler still would not move up within the defensive depth corps for the Caps. Kempny will be back from his injury and Fehervary will be brought up from Hershey.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Siegenthaler is a good player, all defense, decent physical game, good fundamentals. He never stood much of a chance this year. The Caps had already loaded up on D. Then at the 11th hour, Chara fell into their lap at a bargain price. Chara took Siegenthaler's spot.

The Caps have remained stubbornly healthy on defense all year. Couple that with the fact that Laviolette wants the defense to play an up tempo style in which the defense pinches and activates the transition game, and there was never any room for Siegenthaler on the Caps. As the team's style of play has shifted, Siegenthaler is no longer the ideal fit that he would have been under Trotz.

Prospect defensemen Martin Fehervary and Alexander Alexeev are knocking on the door, and Michal Kempny will be back from injury next year. It was clear there wouldn't be a chair for Siegenthaler soon, even as a seventh D. Best of luck to him in NJ, where he should get the playing time to develop into a fine NHL player.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Great trade for New Jersey.

Chara and Dillon have not looked good. Not sure why the Caps got rid of Siegenthaler

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Great trade for New Jersey.

Chara and Dillon have not looked good. Not sure why the Caps got rid of Siegenthaler

couple past weeks havent been great for anyone on the team, but for the full season id say Chara has been great and Dillon ok. Both clearly above Siege.

And Kempny is likely out from LTIR the minute cap allows it, with Fehervary on the sidelines too. Sieges depth wanst that needed.

This serves the player and gives Caps a contract spot and little bit of more cap room to play if they are looking for updates or depth elsewhere. Its the right thing to do, Siege deserves to play. Its not all about asset management, and the return actually wasnt bad, its something about 15-20 picks below where Siege was actually drafted.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
This trade has sellers market written all over it except the team selling is a contender ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad