Confirmed Trade: [NJD/WSH] Jonas Siegenthaler to NJD for 2021 3rd round pick

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
New Jersey?

how so
NJ only has three defensemen signed for next season, they want to protect 3 and expose 1.

Now NJ can protect Severson, Subban, and Sieg while exposing Butcher who has been a healthy scratch all season. Ty Smith is not expansion draft eligible.

This also probably means at least one of Murray and Kulikov will be traded, they are both UFA.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Only Subban, Severson and Butcher meet the exposure requirements, but you have to protect three and expose one, so they added Siegenthaler.

They could've gone 8-1 and protected six forwards, I guess. But that's a bit extreme.

So they could've easily exposed Butcher or Subban and used one of the 3 protection spots on a number of other players in the system, such as Colton White.

There's a difference between the players that meet the exposure requirement vs. players that can be protected.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
They needed a defenseman to meet the exposure requirements for Seattle.

that was my thought to owhen I saw this. He meets the game requirement. Right now they have 3 Dman under contract who they’d protect and others are exempt or ufas

Reactions: Korg

crab

Jan 26, 2019
On the surface it seems weird for a team that thinks they have a chance at a cup to trade away a defenseman right before the playoffs. Usually teams want as much depth at d as possible. Maybe they have another trade in the works.

They have TVR and Ferhervary should probably be in the NHL at this point. Alexeyev also had a pretty solid season in the KHL and is coming over to Hershey.

I think they have enough depth unless they get hit really hard by injuries.

Hockey Fanatik

Mar 28, 2021
NJ only has three defensemen signed for next season, they want to protect 3 and expose 1.

Now NJ can protect Severson, Subban, and Sieg while exposing Butcher who has been a healthy scratch all season. Ty Smith is not expansion draft eligible.

This also probably means at least one of Murray and Kulikov will be traded, they are both UFA.
Expansion draft does not require players be signed past this season, since it takes place before July 1st. Players like Kulikov and Murray can be exposed, as well as Ben Street and others

the Devils have twelve eligible defenseman and, even if im wrong and they need to be signed, can simply sign one of our AHL defenseman and expose them.

this is ALL NA pro games, not just the NHL. So if Im understanding it correctly, this deal has absolutely nothing to do with expansion and we simply wanted him.

besides, we were always going to expose Butcher

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
If I had to guess, this would seem to be a player NJ traded for that they think has a future within their system and is willing to use one of their 3 defensive protection spots on, likely exposing Butcher to meet the expansion requirement while protecting Siegenthaler, Severson & Subban.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Expansion draft does not require players be signed past this season, since it takes place before July 1st. Players like Kulikov and Murray can be exposed, as well as Ben Street and others

the Devils have twelve eligible defenseman and, even if im wrong and they need to be signed, can simply sign one of our AHL defenseman and expose them.

this is ALL NA pro games, not just the NHL. So if Im understanding it correctly, this deal has absolutely nothing to do with expansion and we simply wanted him.

Teams have to leave at least one defender and I believe two forwards signed past this season who have played in either 27(?) games this season or a combined 50 games over the last two seasons.

Butcher fills the slot for defense for the Devils. They may need to sign a depth forward like Merkley/Bastian to extensions to fulfill the contract obligation part for their forwards.

Reactions: Hockey Fanatik

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
the Devils have twelve eligible defenseman and, even if i'm wrong and they need to be signed, can simply sign one of our AHL defenseman and expose them.
this is ALL NA pro games, not just the NHL. So if I'm understanding it correctly, this deal has absolutely nothing to do with expansion and we simply wanted him.

the REQUIRED SKATERS exposed must be SIGNED for next season
Expansion Draft FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Minimum Exposure Requirements
Teams must expose a minimum number of players that meet the following criteria for selection in the upcoming
Forwards 2
under contract in 2021-22, AND
played in 27 or more NHL games last season, OR
played in 54 or more NHL games in the last two seasons
Defense 1
under contract in 2021-22, AND
played in 27 or more NHL games last season, OR
played in 54 or more NHL games in the last two seasons

agreed NJD could protect a D who does not meet those minimums,
such as Colton White who was cited above
BUT the exposure required minimums are more strict

Yes, if "we were always going to expose Butcher" then they were already in compliance at D

Reactions: Hockey Fanatik

Hockey Fanatik

Mar 28, 2021
Teams have to leave at least one defender and I believe two forwards signed past this season who have played in either 27(?) games this season or a combined 50 games over the last two seasons.

Butcher fills the slot for defense for the Devils. They may need to sign a depth forward like Merkley/Bastian to extensions to fulfill the contract obligation part for their forwards.
Ah I get it now

apologies @AfroThunder396 and @Korg

Reactions: Korg

Hockey Fanatik

Mar 28, 2021
Still really like the pickup

big defensive dman whos friendly with our Captain, lack of opportunity in WSH, and Fitz and the analytics department must really like him to protect him (granted we arent losing anyone notable)

Reactions: HBK27

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Because Seattle wouldn't select him with that cap hit.

I don't personally care who New Jersey does or doesn't expose. I'm sure they'll do what they think is best.
It just seems like a lot of people want to bury Subban for no reason, he's been quite good this season and NJ has nearly infinite cap space. He's also the oldest player remaining on the Devils now (at 30) that Zajac and Palmieri have been traded and provides valuable leadership to a young team.

NJ is going to expose Butcher because he's terrible and has been a healthy scratch all season.

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
This is the type of defenseman the devils need. Big solid defenseman who gives no offensive output. Honestly could be exactly what we need and the gamble is only a 3rd so win win

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
This appears to be reminiscent of the Mirco Mueller deal NJ made before the Vegas expansion draft, though fortunately they gave up less than the 2nd & 4th rounder he cost them.

I figured that Fitzgerald would make a deal for a young defenseman that they could use an expansion protection spot on (which the selling team would not be able to do), but was hoping he would've gotten a better player back. At least it didn't cost too much.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
It just seems like a lot of people want to bury Subban for no reason, he's been quite good this season and NJ has nearly infinite cap space. He's also the oldest player remaining on the Devils now (at 30) that Zajac and Palmieri have been traded and provides valuable leadership to a young team.

NJ is going to expose Butcher because he's terrible and has been a healthy scratch all season.

Subban was just an example, wasn't trying to bury him.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
it was conditional from the hall trade
2021 conditional round round pick (first round if Coyotes advance to second round of 2020 playoffs and Hall re-signs with Coyotes, second round if Coyotes advance to second round of 2020 playoffs or if Hall re-signs with Coyotes, else third round) (?-
At first I thought you were serious. And then I thought you were joking. Now I'm not so sure...

If the conditions are met Washington gets a first?

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016

Having 9 million cleared off the Devil's books would be pretty significant. They could make some strong additions with that space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad