Confirmed Trade: [NJD/VAN] Curtis Lazar for 2024 4th round pick

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
They made lots of good deals. HFboard fans overreacted to Hronek trade and think Canucks did bad lol

Stillman for Bloom
Unsigned Horvat for 1st, Beau, Raty
Kravatsov for 7th and Lockwood
Schenn for 3rd
Lazar for 4th

Just because they overpaid a bit for Hronek and maybe bad timing, doesn't mean Canucks did bad overall. I give them B+ to an A- looking at their trades. Hronek is worth a 1st minimum and that would be a middle pack 1st round pick and 3rd. They did overpay by giving up a 2nd but Hronek is still 25 year old young top 4 RHD which is hard to find. Also Canucks want a quick retool, they never said they would rebuild even when new management took over and said they want to turn it around in 2 years. In a true rebuild, they would have to trade everyone, even Petersson and Hughes because a true rebuild would take 5 to 7 years to complete and by that time Petersson would be 29 and would be competing when he is almost out of his prime. Overall Canucks did really well this deadline day and finally are changing things around instead of staying the same.

I'll agree with schenn and lazar and kravtsov

Horvat was good but then they undid it sending the best piece and another high 2nd away for a pp special who will never take that spot away from Hughes. The canucks are a bottom 10 team simply replacing horvat with hronek won't change that. But adding hronek may cause the canucks to improve in the standings one or two spots over the remainder of the season...worsening their chances at landing. Bedard. I don't like the hronek deal (value wise or direction wise) but if they must do it could they have at least waited until the off season.

They are building the team like they want to make it just good enough to sneak into the playoffs while they should be building it to be a top 5 team in the league for years.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
He always played a physical game when I saw him play....Depth move with term ....Might find a home in future on 4 th line

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021

Horvat was good but then they undid it sending the best piece and another high 2nd away for a pp special who will never take that spot away from Hughes. The canucks are a bottom 10 team simply replacing horvat with hronek won't change that. But adding hronek may cause the canucks to improve in the standings one or two spots over the remainder of the season...worsening their chances at landing. Bedard. I don't like the hronek deal (value wise or direction wise) but if they must do it could they have at least waited until the off season.

They are building the team like they want to make it just good enough to sneak into the playoffs while they should be building it to be a top 5 team in the league for years.
If you look at the overall trade it will be Horvat and 2nd for Hronek, Beau, Raty and 20234th which is awesome deal for unsigned Horvat and 2nd. They didn't undo the Horvat trade, they change an equally valuable piece for another equally valuable piece unless you think a 25 RHD defenseman with 40 point in 60 games grows on trees and can be had for a 7th round pick. Plus Hronek is signed with term and will be RFA afterwards. Canucks need 5 more defensemen after Hughes, they can't draft all 5 from just drafts which will take 5 years of more and that is if you hit on all your drafts. The timing was weird but they would have eventually needed to trade a 1st to get that elusive top 4 RHD which had reasonable contract. Canucks also can't wait 5 to 7 years to finally compete. They need to turn it around in 3 years or so and work their way to becoming a contender. They need picks but they also need to do trades to build a contending team.

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg

They didn't undo the Horvat trade.

Out:
Bo Horvat
2nd round pick 2023

In:
Anthony Beauvillier
Aatu Raty
Filip Hronek
4th round Pick 2023

I'd do that straight up + they accomplished what they said they wanted to accomplish.

You kinda said it was a win yourself here. If Hronek alone is good enough to push the Canucks up two spots he's a great add in the long-term. He turned 25 3 months ago and fits the cores age group. He's in the long/mid-term plan of the team.

Canucks already got a #1 center, #1 defensemen and a #1 goalie. They need to reshuffle the deck and this was a good start. More trades to come this off-season.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
They didn't undo the Horvat trade.

Out:
Bo Horvat
2nd round pick 2023

In:
Anthony Beauvillier
Aatu Raty
Filip Hronek
4th round Pick 2023

I'd do that straight up + they accomplished what they said they wanted to accomplish.

You kinda said it was a win yourself here. If Hronek alone is good enough to push the Canucks up two spots he's a great add in the long-term. He turned 25 3 months ago and fits the cores age group. He's in the long/mid-term plan of the team.

Canucks already got a #1 center, #1 defensemen and a #1 goalie. They need to reshuffle the deck and this was a good start. More trades to come this off-season.
The issue people had I think was with the timing but they needed to add D either this TDL or offseason. Maybe they pulled this deal so they would have a lighter workload in the off season. As they need to add 2 more top 4D. OEL relegated to 3rd pairing is fine and we have other defenders that could fill the 6th and 7th slot.

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
The issue people had I think was with the timing but they needed to add D either this TDL or offseason. Maybe they pulled this deal so they would have a lighter workload in the off season. As they need to add 2 more top 4D. OEL relegated to 3rd pairing is fine and we have other defenders that could fill the 6th and 7th slot.
Oh yea for sure.

I am just not sure the same deal would be there if they waited until the draft for example. If it ends up being 24th overall this year let's say - is the Hronek deal available? I doubt it. The potential of that 1st rounder still exists and that gives it more value right now.

It's unlikely the Islanders fall off completely and that 1st moves to 2024 especially now with teams below them selling off assets.

I agree with the Canucks assessment that it is probably safe to bet the Islanders pick will be in the 20-32 range in the 2023 draft. Took me a nights sleep and some reflection but I have warmed up to the deal. Excited to see what Hronek can bring for the rest of the year and the next 5-7 years.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I mean, he's a decent enough 4th liner. Responsible, hustles, plays hard. But utterly replaceable. Getting a pick for him is nice. Not really sure why the Devils felt they needed him, but it's not like they paid a high price to add depth there.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Lazar got banged up so that might helps explain his very mediocre play in Vancouver (although he was poor even before the injury).

Guess he becomes cannon fodder for NJD but I would not like his contract for the next few years. (can be buried but why block other prospects)

Testimony to how many chances 1st round drafts get.

Prefer a fourth rounder (as long shot as that is) to Lazar.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Lazar got banged up so that might helps explain his very mediocre play in Vancouver (although he was poor even before the injury).

Guess he becomes cannon fodder for NJD but I would not like his contract for the next few years. (can be buried but why block other prospects)

Testimony to how many chances 1st round drafts get.

Prefer a fourth rounder (as long shot as that is) to Lazar.
Hit contract is pretty close to minimum NHL wage. The only thing better would be a 2 way but NJ could still afford to send him down if need be.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
I mean, I don't even like Lazar, but if everyone is healthy he won't even be in the lineup in NJ. To say "NJD got worse" is moronic. Hes a 13th forward type. Which is fine.

I disagree; I think that if they get some injuries, the NJD would be better with an AHL call-up than with today's Lazar, and they may not be able to do that due to the cap. But that's my moronic opinion.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
He was replacement level in Van. 250k overpaid, and ineffective, with 2 more years left. Getting positive value for him is a win for van.

Zero offensive skill, and was just sort of there. Had one good game coming back from injury where he had 6 hits. Otherwise, he was a ghost. Poor acquisition by NJ, should have been for future considerations, or at most a 7th.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Lazar got completely outclassed by a bunch of replacement-level call-ups on a terrible team this year, despite busting his ass off and having no real external baggage that weighed him down. He's likeable, but he shouldn't be worth anything.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
After years of Bennings horrid signings I didnt mind this one outside the term. Low risk and I think we all wanted him to workout here...it didnt. Take the 4th as a mild win

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
that's a useless trade we didn't have to make

It's depth. About 20 years ago, we gave up a 4th for Richard Smehlik to basically be the #8D that we hoped we wouldn't need to use. Smehlik only got into a handful of playoff games on that run.

Bastian's been banged up a bit and we traded Zetterlund. Coaching staff probably wasn't too enthused if we had to tap an AHL RW (Holtz/Clarke/Thompson) into a checking role. Maybe insurance if McLeod got hurt as well.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
No issues with this trade, it's depth, nothing more or nothing less. Rather trust a guy like Lazar than a young player in a high pressure environment of the playoffs. Plus you wouldn't dress someone like Holtz only to get 5 mins, the Devils or any NHL team need to roll 4 lines come playoffs to be super effective.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
People really under appreciate the use of a good penalty killer. Lazar is void of most any offence, but the people surprised at the value here are probably staring too hard at his putrid production (5p in 45gp). Not that Lazar is too much of an unknown commodity in the NHL, but I feel like a 4th is fair value here.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
People really under appreciate the use of a good penalty killer. Lazar is void of most any offence, but the people surprised at the value here are probably staring too hard at his putrid production (5p in 45gp). Not that Lazar is too much of an unknown commodity in the NHL, but I feel like a 4th is fair value here.
He's a JAG, but he works hard. Great pro. 4th is the deadline price for that.

Reactions: Tryamkin

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Our fourth line has been peaks and valleys this year, I think every Devils fan would be happy with a safe fourth line considering how good the top 9 is

Reactions: Tryamkin

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
It's depth. About 20 years ago, we gave up a 4th for Richard Smehlik to basically be the #8D that we hoped we wouldn't need to use. Smehlik only got into a handful of playoff games on that run.

Bastian's been banged up a bit and we traded Zetterlund. Coaching staff probably wasn't too enthused if we had to tap an AHL RW (Holtz/Clarke/Thompson) into a checking role. Maybe insurance if McLeod got hurt as well.
I get that but with how good our scouting staff has been getting great value of mid to late-round picks, I'd rather try our luck with a 4rd pick than have a guy like Lazar as insurance. Yes he's more experienced than a guy like Tyce Thompson but he' JAG, if our fanbase complains about McLeod lack of offense, better pray Lazar don't see any ice in the offs, and McLeod also excels at PKilling and is miles ahead on the dot. He's cheap, but then again, could just sign a PTO guy that can do as good as him for next season

we could find a guy like that for future considerations

If we going to do these deals, at least bring someone that really will impact the bottom 6

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
As a Devils fan I'm not really a fan of this deal. It's nice to have another veteran in the lineup but not at the sake of having to sit another player.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I would say they saved money on the cap but Lazar is cheap so they must of not liked him lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad