Confirmed Trade: [NJD/SJS] Meier (50%), Harrington, Ibragimov, Emond, Hatakka, ‘24 5th for ‘23 1st, cond ‘24 1st, Johnsson, Okhotiuk, Mukhamadullin, Zetterlund, 24 7th

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
You are implying this happens to regular people all the time when it couldn't be further from the truth.
I would guess that 80% of the people in the US and Canada have left at least one job in their life because a better one came along.

Otherwise that means they have had the same job their whole life or have only changed jobs after getting laid off.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Of course we're happy with the trade here in NJ, but I'm glad to see that Zetts has thrived this year in SJ. Really wish we could have found a way to keep him, but I know it was likely him or Holtz going the other way, and Holtz is fairing well for himself so far this year.

Glad both teams are happy with the trade at day's end.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Im not saying im agreeing or disageeing with this idea but........Owners get 50% of HRR. If they were able to cancel contracts it wouldn't make them any more or less money.
That's a fair point. I just think GMs would abuse the situation and shouldn't get a free pass out, nor should the players. Mutual contract termination is an option.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
That's a fair point. I just think GMs would abuse the situation and shouldn't get a free pass out, nor should the players. Mutual contract termination is an option.
Isnt the “mutual contract termination“ the free pass out of bad situations? Situations that would be abused by rich owners and put a further divide between the haves and have nots.

I might be misunderstanding the post…. the first sentence and second sentence seem to be at odds with each other.

• Haha
Reactions: HuGo Sham

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Then should players be able to void contracts if they're outperforming their compensation? If guaranteed contracts disappear, prepare for players to hold out for contract renegotiations even when they're in the middle of their contract.

7/8 year contacts are still too long. It should be 6/7 years but players hit free agency a year earlier. And if we paid young players more, there would be less overall cap space available to overpay older free agents on long contracts.
And teams should be able to void contracts of players who suck

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
5 points in 3 games is on fire now? Better alert the villages.
no need to, they already know

Only if players can void contracts that are underpaying them
interesting counter argument.

It should be allowed though for ownership to cut players if warranted or mutually agreed upon. Although, that does seem to be a slippery slope. I mean if I sign a guy who always scores 40 goals 9 mil because that was the current going rate, but for the past 3 seasons, he's played every game and hasn't broken 20, then I would think that could be grounds.

Then again, slippery slope.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
If this thread is going to get bumped every time Meier goes on slump or a streak, it’s going to be a very, very long eight years.

Can we mutually agree to close it? Both teams are happy with the trade, nothing more to discuss…
It also makes no sense because even if someone was unhappy with Meier's performance, the trade isn't the thing they should have issue with.

The trade was a solid one for the Devils.

If there's anything to be unhappy with, it's the contract.

And if he turns it around, then even that's probably fine.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Isnt the “mutual contract termination“ the free pass out of bad situations? Situations that would be abused by rich owners and put a further divide between the haves and have nots.

I might be misunderstanding the post…. the first sentence and second sentence seem to be at odds with each other.
Difference being non-mutual being the one I think that would be abused. Basically anytime the team realizes the contract sucks, they cancel it.

Ex. Huberdeau

No way you'd find him interested in cancelling that contract mutually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad