Speculation: NJD Offseason Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
A minimum of two forwards and one defenceman must be exposed who have played 40 games the previous season, or a total of 70 over the previous two.

There is also a requirement that the 40/70 players are under contract for the first expansion season.

This will be an interesting bit. I wonder if that compels Shero give Josefson a 2+ year deal if only to have somebody to expose.

Although the other option is making moves right before the expansion draft (presumably June 2017). Like giving up a C- prospect you weren't going to re-sign for some other team's 4th liner.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
as it currently stands, this is what our "protected" list probably looks like:

Adam Henrique
Mike Cammalleri
Travis Zajac
Kyle Palmieri
Reid Boucher
Devante Smith-Pelly
????

Andy Greene
Adam Larsson
Damon Severson

Cory Schneider

so if we sign a DMan this summer, we will probably have to make some tough decisions. I will assume that we'll have at least 1-2 new forwards that would be worthy of keeping in that 7th F spot.

We can also expose Camm or DSP worst case for the forwards depending how things go down. Agreed D could get difficult if we sign another one. Lars is 100% untouchable IMO.

If Severson starts taking larger strides and we sign Gogo. I mean you have to expose Gogo barring a Green downturn, right?

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
"overpaying" free agencts on short term deals will not hurt you long term. that is silly.

Backes will almost for sure get a contract at least 5 years in length. He is a good player but he is slow and is only going to get slower. He is not the type of player that will fit what Hynes has emphasized with the team having speed. Especially when you take into account Backes style of play, he is one of the last players I want.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
as it currently stands, this is what our "protected" list probably looks like:

Adam Henrique
Mike Cammalleri
Travis Zajac
Kyle Palmieri
Reid Boucher
Devante Smith-Pelly
????

Andy Greene
Adam Larsson
Damon Severson

Cory Schneider

so if we sign a DMan this summer, we will probably have to make some tough decisions. I will assume that we'll have at least 1-2 new forwards that would be worthy of keeping in that 7th F spot.

That's one of the biggest reasons I don't want to bother with any of the big UFA defensemen this offseason. Especially considering our overall strength there compared to forward. Sign/trade for forwards, give the young D another year then sign someone next offseason if you still need to. Or sign a short term patch guy on D.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That's one of the biggest reasons I don't want to bother with any of the big UFA defensemen this offseason. Especially considering our overall strength there compared to forward. Sign/trade for forwards, give the young D another year then sign someone next offseason if you still need to. Or sign a short term patch guy on D.

True. Either we draft someone, or someone else will pop up on free agency.

I wonder how this effects free agency this year though. Teams can ask a player to waive their NMC, but the player doesn't have to comply. Will some guys play hard ball with NMCs to try and avoid being exposed?

I mean is everyone high on Gogo if he only comes here with a NMC and forces us to expose one of Lars, Green, or Severson?

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Moore seems like someone on D we naturally would expose to the expansion draft. He makes the most sense.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well of course, but that isn't the issue. We can only protect 3 D so if we sign someone long term this season we will have to expose someone we would most definitely want to keep.
I'm guessing then Merrill and maybe Schlemko also if he's re-signed?

Although I don't think it's likely we'd lose all 3 or even 2 if we expose them. They can also take Warsofsky and Helgeson, not that they will meet the criteria of 40 games or 70 combined in the last two.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm guessing then Merrill and maybe Schlemko also if he's re-signed?

Although I don't think it's likely we'd lose all 3 or even 2 if we expose them. They can also take Warsofsky and Helgeson, not that they will meet the criteria of 40 games or 70 combined in the last two.

We protect Green, Lars and Severson right now. Zero debate.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well of course, but that isn't the issue. We can only protect 3 D so if we sign someone long term this season we will have to expose someone we would most definitely want to keep.

Or trade them (i.e. Severson since Larsson/Greene aren't getting traded).

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Or trade them (i.e. Severson since Larsson/Greene aren't getting traded).

You could, but you don't trade Severson unless you feel really good about who is behind him on the depth chart or are certain you are signing someone good in free agency.

Never mind getting some kind of value that makes sense to us.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We protect Green, Lars and Severson right now. Zero debate.

I don't think anyone can argue that.

Moore, Merrill, Schlemko can be unprotected. Although I doubt all 3 are taken, if even 2 of them are.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well only one can be taken unless the rules changed and a team can pick two players off the same team now?

No each team only loses one player max since the expansion being talked about is only for one Vegas team. In our case it probably would be one of the defensemen assuming the roster's close to presently constituted which it probably won't be by then.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This will be an interesting bit. I wonder if that compels Shero give Josefson a 2+ year deal if only to have somebody to expose.

Although the other option is making moves right before the expansion draft (presumably June 2017). Like giving up a C- prospect you weren't going to re-sign for some other team's 4th liner.

Ya we don't have two forwards currently under contract to expose. Giving JJ two years is one way but he has to play some games this season to get over the 70 mark I think.

We don't have anyone else to expose. Do we give Gio two and just bury him? What is worse? Trading for someone just to expose or just signing those two and stuffing them on the 4th line so they get over the 70 game mark?

We could bring Stemp back and give him two years. We can figure this out, but we do have to make some kind of move as we don't have the bodies there. Interesting.

Group Chat Legend*

Yakupov+4th overall for Severson+11th overall

was proposed on main board... I take that deal. Yakupov is a former 1st overall who, if he can turn it around with a change of scenery, could be very good. And then the 4th overall...

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

was proposed on main board... I take that deal. Yakupov is a former 1st overall who, if he can turn it around with a change of scenery, could be very good. And then the 4th overall...

Don't really care where Yak was drafted. I care about what he is now and it isn't much. Potential for him to turn into something, but we aren't getting good value in that trade.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site

I don't like his at all. At this point Yak is worth maybe a 2nd round pick? The guy just doesn't have much hockey IQ, so I don't think it's just going to click for him one day.

Also, my impression is that after the top 3 in the draft, there's a group of 9-10 players that are all relatively close. I don't think jumping up 7 spots is worth the downgrade from Severson to Yak.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
We need to put together a package for a first round pick between 15 and 30. The second round pick in '18 helps a lot. Let's say we get Keller at 11 and Chychrun falls. I'd add 41 because we'll no longer need to get a LHD in the second round. I'd throw in a second rounder from next year also. Getting Detroit's pick would be the best. We could also go for Nashville's.

Group Chat Legend*

Edmonton gets Severson, 11th, 2016 2nd, Kinkaid/Wedgewood

New Jersey gets Nurse, 4th

Edmonton gets a RHD which they desperately need, and one that can produce offense. The two picks, along with a backup tender, add nice value.

New Jersey gets a LHD which they need, and the 4th can add another higher end talent to the club on the forward side.

How I see it:
Severson = Nurse
11th, 2nd rd, backup = 4th

Thoughts?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Edmonton gets Severson, 11th, 2016 2nd, Kinkaid/Wedgewood

New Jersey gets Nurse, 4th

Edmonton gets a RHD which they desperately need, and one that can produce offense. The two picks, along with a backup tender, add nice value.

New Jersey gets a LHD which they need, and the 4th can add another higher end talent to the club on the forward side.

How I see it:
Severson = Nurse
11th, 2nd rd, backup = 4th

Thoughts?

I'll bet Edm values Nurse a lot higher than Sevs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad