Speculation: NJD Offseason Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Group Chat Legend*

In the first deal, I'd only give Chicago a third at most. In the second deal, I wouldn't mind it but I like Severson.

Sign Okposo preferably yes. Maybe get Goligoski first and then we can attract better guys such as Okposo.

Chicago is moving TT to get some value, not to be ripped off. 2nd maybe is enough, might need a little something. TT will likely be better than whoever is at that 2nd pick.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I remember when one or two people were questioning trading the 2nd for Palmieri last year instead of using that pick to draft Sprong. It was when Palmieri started out kind of slow in the first two weeks of the season.

Sprong and all 2 of his goals/total points in 18 games.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I remember when one or two people were questioning trading the 2nd for Palmieri last year instead of using that pick to draft Sprong. It was when Palmieri started out kind of slow in the first two weeks of the season.

Did someone actually question the trade? God it felt like a no brainier then and now.

Blackwood got all the hate.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA

Yeah I don't recall anyone questioning that trade. It was the Blackwood selection.

Sprong looks like he has a good career in front of him. Probably would prefer him to Blackwood in our system, but it's not a huge deal.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
My ideal, but somewhat within the realm of possibility, offseason:

-Sign Backes to a 3yr/$21.0MM contract
-Sign Okposo to a 6yr/$39.0MM contract
-Sign Campbell to a 2yr/$12MM contract OR Sign Goligoski to a 4yr/$22.5MM contract

Cammalleri - Henrique - Okposo
Boucher - Backes - Palmieri
Zacha - Zajac - Pelly
Blandisi - Josefson - Lappin
Pietila, Kalinin

Campbell - Larsson
Greene - Severson
Moore - Schlemko
Helgeson

Schneider
Kiknaid/Wedgewood

That's a lot of dollars to spend in free agency. Backes probably doesn't deserve $7MM per year, but he probably needs that much to take a three year contract (wouldn't want him longer than that). New Jersey really needs a forward to drive possession and influence the pace of the game, and Backes is that guy. Okposo just makes too much sense, and is young enough that we don't need to worry about him falling off a cliff. We obviously need help on the left side of the defense, which Campbell or Goligoski would address.

In regards to Blandisi on the fourth line - I am a fan of having four lines that can all contribute offensively, so I don't have much of a problem with him being there. He could also end up in Albany to start the season.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
in before "but Backes and Campebell are older than 29!" :laugh: :sarcasm:

I wouldn't hate it all things considered though. that Backes deal is a good example of what I would like to do in free agency. Maybe pay more money AAV on a shorter term deal

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
My ideal, but somewhat within the realm of possibility, offseason:

-Sign Backes to a 3yr/$21.0MM contract
-Sign Okposo to a 6yr/$39.0MM contract
-Sign Campbell to a 2yr/$12MM contract OR Sign Goligoski to a 4yr/$22.5MM contract

Cammalleri - Henrique - Okposo
Boucher - Backes - Palmieri
Zacha - Zajac - Pelly
Blandisi - Josefson - Lappin
Pietila, Kalinin

Campbell - Larsson
Greene - Severson
Moore - Schlemko
Helgeson

Schneider
Kiknaid/Wedgewood

That's a lot of dollars to spend in free agency. Backes probably doesn't deserve $7MM per year, but he probably needs that much to take a three year contract (wouldn't want him longer than that). New Jersey really needs a forward to drive possession and influence the pace of the game, and Backes is that guy. Okposo just makes too much sense, and is young enough that we don't need to worry about him falling off a cliff. We obviously need help on the left side of the defense, which Campbell or Goligoski would address.

In regards to Blandisi on the fourth line - I am a fan of having four lines that can all contribute offensively, so I don't have much of a problem with him being there. He could also end up in Albany to start the season.
This is how you hurt your team long-term by overpaying for free agents. No reason for adding a player like Backes at this point.

Group Chat Legend*

Backes and Goligoski are not going to sign for that term - if they did id gladly take them, but they wont. That leaves both players at about 35+, and they would likely get crap next. Thats avoided by going long term.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
NHL 16 GM Mode I see.

Backes for 3 years at 7 per, nah.

Let's do Backes for 2 years at 10 per.

**** it, Backes for 1 year at 15. Don't want anyone too old on this team! Not at all!

Smfh.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I just really dont see Shero going nuts in UFA this season.

I know we all talk about signing people but for some reason i see Shero maybe chasing one of the better top line RW and making a Palmieri like trade and thats all.

Unless we move a dman in the trade i really dont see us signing any of these Dman. I believe Hynes/Shero are comfortable with Larrson Greene Severson Merrill Moore and Schlemko. Plus guys like Helg, Santini and Jacobs all battling for spots. He might take a flyer on a camp tryout with someone who has put up points in the past. Just dont see a Gogo or Yandle or Campbell or Demers coming here this year.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I just really dont see Shero going nuts in UFA this season.

I know we all talk about signing people but for some reason i see Shero maybe chasing one of the better top line RW and making a Palmieri like trade and thats all.

Unless we move a dman in the trade i really dont see us signing any of these Dman. I believe Hynes/Shero are comfortable with Larrson Greene Severson Merrill Moore and Schlemko. Plus guys like Helg, Santini and Jacobs all battling for spots. He might take a flyer on a camp tryout with someone who has put up points in the past. Just dont see a Gogo or Yandle or Campbell or Demers coming here this year.

if half of our D is made up of Moore, Merrill, and Schlemko, I will not be very happy.

Seth Helgeson is a borderline NHL player.

I believe Santini and Jacobs need at least a year in the AHL as well. no sense in rushing them.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
if half of our D is made up of Moore, Merrill, and Schlemko, I will not be very happy.

Seth Helgeson is a borderline NHL player.

I believe Santini and Jacobs need at least a year in the AHL as well. no sense in rushing them.

I agree there is no need to rush either guy.

Helgeson will be a fringe back and fourth Dman. I also think its a matter of time before we sign War to an extension so he will be around also.

Schlemko wasnt that bad last year. Moore and Merrill i get but i just dont see it. I dont see them spending big money on defense when the defense wasnt the biggest problem but more of a strength.

So i would be ready to not be happy.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I wouldn't call the defense a strength last year

they produced basically no offense. aside from Greene and Larsson's defensive prowess, it wasn't anything to write home about. You saw the weaknesses once Schneider got hurt.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I agree it could have provided more offense. But i feel like with last years team a NORMAL bottom 6 would have been enough to get us into the playoffs and i believe thats what needs to be addressed more then anything.

I mean you never know i just dunno if defense is going to be a focus with all the Dman we already have here.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Our defense core needs some work. All it needs in my opinion is an Alex Goligoski type player signed to a 4-6 year deal. And by Alex Goligoski type player, I mean a 26-30 year old LHD who can put up some points and play solid defensively. Basically, this team needs a proven top 4 LHD that isn't too old but isn't too young.

If that were to happen, the D core for the next 3-4 years would look like this:

LHD:
Greene
(Goligoski)
Schlemko/Moore/Merrill/Helgeson/other

RHD:
Larsson
Severson
Santini/Jacobs/other

That looks damn good to me and allows the Devils to keep the same core together for many years.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I agree it could have provided more offense. But i feel like with last years team a NORMAL bottom 6 would have been enough to get us into the playoffs and i believe thats what needs to be addressed more then anything.

I mean you never know i just dunno if defense is going to be a focus with all the Dman we already have here.

I agree with that, but that doesn't mean our D couldn't use an upgrade. I am not saying that all we should do is sign a DMan, but I think it should be on the list.

with all the cap space we have and with a number of guys who could help us available, I would like to see someone brought in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad