Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] Jack Hughes signs extension with the Devils (8 years, $8M AAV)

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Could be very smart. Lock him up before he breaks out and hope you can get a steal of a contract (Mackinnon-like deal), or go with a bridge now before he finishes the season like he started before getting injured.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Something near Suzuki or slightly north if it's a long term 8 year deal.

Could be a 2 year 5 million Bridge but it's tough with the cap projected to go up and if he improves he could be a double digit cap hit afterwards.

Tough being a GM in the NHL these days.

Reactions: Trojans86

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
If the reports are true (and Weekes has missed on a lot of items lately), it isn’t a bridge deal. A bridge deal is something you sign under the gun of a deadline. Not something you sign in season before you even become an rfa.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
This seems incredibly risky if it is a massive long term extension, to the point where I have no idea why New Jersey would do it.

Based on the numbers thrown out here, I really don't see how there's some massive reward potential.

I haven't seen anything that makes me think Hughes will end up a 90 point player :dunno:

I'm pretty sure you'd find about 0 people outside of Devils fans who thinks that is a realistic expectation for him.

No I'm just not a homer and declaring that a guy will over double his best pace so far in his career :laugh:

Could he? Absolutely, he is very talented. But to expect that out of him seems like insanity.

Thanks man, we get it.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
No devils fan should act like a big time, long term deal doesn't carry any risk here. It does.

But every non devils fan has likely had a guy on their team that they thought was much better than his counting numbers indicates and was okay with signing him to a deal he probably wasn't worth at the time but expected to be value at the end. The Devils signing Jack Hughes to a big money, long term deal is like the extreme of that. This is not all that dissimilar to the initial Barkov extension. He was in the middle of year three after 24 and 36 points his first two years, though he didn't have an injury hamper his year three production the way Jack did, so there is still more of a question.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Gone are the days of paying a player for what he did.

GMs now pay for what players are projected to do.

I don’t agree with it but that’s what it’s come to

Actually, paying a high pedigree RFA for what they are projected to be is much more fiscally responsible than paying a has been for what he did in the past. Almost none of these big UFA contracts work out long term while most of these RFA contracts work out well. Giving a highly skilled player like Hughes a long term contract through his prime years right now before he breaks out is the smart thing to do.

Reactions: Oneiro

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Long term extension already? I know Hughes is probably going to be great but he doesn't really have a whole lot of track record yet.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Personally I’d prefer a bridge/show me contract but I won’t lose any sleep either way.

Jack still hasn’t played a full season and he came in extremely young and undersized.

He looked really good in the few games he played this season. Hopefully the time off didn’t make him lose too much of that steam he had going.

Chances are high that he becomes worth an 8 million a year contract but he hasn’t exactly proven he’s worth that yet.

A long term deal is a risk but how much can he really be overpaid by? He’s still going to be the Devils 1C for a long time.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I'm not even going to waste my time.
So you decided to waste your time by responding to say nothing? Makes sense.

If you truly didn’t want to “waste your time” you would’ve just ignored it and moved on but instead you decided to take the time to make sure we all know that. Seems like your time isn’t that valuable. But please enlighten us with how this player is worth 8 million.

Last edited:

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Devils fans probably know better than the rest of us but 8MM AAV being a good deal is kinda wild for a player who has played a total of 119 games at a less than .5 PPG pace.
31 in 56 last year at 19 playing while he and the team was decimated by COVID, and with bottom 6 players and a dysfunctional PP proves he’s real. He’s a star

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
covid and his injury this year makes it kind of awkward. hes essentially a 1st overall pick that has played 1.5 seasons worth of games when he will be signing his next contract and hasnt exactly broken out.

Reactions: NJ DevLolz

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I've always preferred bridging young players, he could be a steal at 8 per season or he could end up being one of the worst contracts in the league, that being said I've watched every NHL game this kid has played and I feel he's more likely a steal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad