Confirmed Buy-Out [NJD] Cory Schneider bought out by the Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Subban for neal and russell?
No? Subban got paid a 6m bonus so he’s only owed 2m this season therefore you’re trying to dump more salary in a one sided direction than you think. Subban’s owed 10m total and the Devils need him more than Neal.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I dont get why they do it when they arent competing, unless its all about saving money right now... Wait it out as long as possible to avoid having that buyout cap hit when you might actually need that cap space 3-4 years from now.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
No? Subban got paid a 6m bonus so he’s only owed 2m this season therefore you’re trying to dump more salary in a one sided direction than you think. Subban’s owed 10m total and the Devils need him more than Neal.
Yes, he would look great as an Oiler. Neal would provide you with a guaranteed 20 goals per season and cap relief.

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
no, again...its to get a capable NHLer as a backup goalie. Cory Schneider is not a capable NHL backup goalie.

they don't need to save money. They have like $25 million in cap space.
I... don’t think you understand. This is about saving the owners money. Not cap space. Not finding a better goalie. It’s simply about saving the owners some cash. We weren’t going to be good in 2 years, we don’t need more cap space, all this did was save the owners some real money

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I dont get why they do it when they arent competing, unless its all about saving money right now... Wait it out as long as possible to avoid having that buyout cap hit when you might actually need that cap space 3-4 years from now.
The Devils probably tried to find a different solution and didn’t, just like all these other team’s buyouts. NJ needs another good goalie and decided to move on from a guy who severely declined and has been particularly awful for two years.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Yeah, and now he's likely out of the league while Horvat may not have even hit his prime yet...

the trade was over 7 years ago dude

I'm not sure what your point is? Schneider is 9 years older than Horvat. Did you expect him to be good forever?

Horvat most certainly is in his prime. 25 years old for forwards is definitely their prime.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
the trade was over 7 years ago dude

I'm not sure what your point is? Schneider is 9 years older than Horvat. Did you expect him to be good forever?

Horvat most certainly is in his prime. 25 years old for forwards is definitely their prime.

That's my point...

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
no, again...its to get a capable NHLer as a backup goalie. Cory Schneider is not a capable NHL backup goalie.

they don't need to save money. They have like $25 million in cap space.

It did save the owners money, Fitzgerald must look like a god send to Harris after Shero lit $10 million on fire last year to pay Subban, or at least that would have been a better use of that money.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
It did save the owners money, Fitzgerald must look like a god send to Harris after Shero lit $10 million on fire last year to pay Subban, or at least that would have been a better use of that money.

it saves the owners money and it also allows them to bring in a capable NHL backup goalie, which Schneider was not. So what is the issue?

Subban is overpaid but he is still a perfectly fine 2nd pairing NHL DMan. This idea that he can't play whatsoever is nonsense.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
One of countless moronic moves Lou made during his last 8 years with the Devils where he ran the team into the ground.

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
Yeah, and now he's likely out of the league while Horvat may not have even hit his prime yet...

Hindsight is great. At the time of the trade there was no way to tell how Horvat would turn out. Or that Schneids would be hit with injuries.

We needed a goalie at the time and got a top end one for a few years. Horvat turned out to be a good player, these are the inherent risks in trading picks for players. If we keep the pick, we may get Horvat (or someone else) but who knows who the goalie would have been.

Schneider or Horvat, it really doesn't matter considering how bad the team has drafted prior to Castron and company.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
he is only signed for 2 remaining seasons I would have just waited it out. Unless the owner just didn't want to pay up.

There was a time when I would have been fine selling the farm for that guy, those injuries sure took their toll he was looking great at trade time.

Devilinlillinois

Jun 5, 2015
That cap hit is going to hurt.

What a year for buy-outs and RFA walk aways. Money is tight across the whe league.
The cap hits only 2 million considering Jersey has 30 million and projected cap space they really aren't hurting if you don't believe me go to capfriendly

Reactions: Summer Rose

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Hindsight is great. At the time of the trade there was no way to tell how Horvat would turn out. Or that Schneids would be hit with injuries.

We needed a goalie at the time and got a top end one for a few years. Horvat turned out to be a good player, these are the inherent risks in trading picks for players. If we keep the pick, we may get Horvat (or someone else) but who knows who the goalie would have been.

Schneider or Horvat, it really doesn't matter considering how bad the team has drafted prior to Castron and company.

If I remember correctly, the big rumor was that if were going to keep the pick, it was gonna be used on Nichushkin and not Horvat.

So if that was the case that would have soften the blow a little bit because Nichushkin's career definitely didn't pan out.

Ironically enough, we could of just drafted Horvat and gone for Jarry in the 2nd round but no one knew how good Jarry was gonna be either.

Reactions: blink
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad