Proposal: NJD - CAR

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The Devils are only in the picture if Hanifin's contract ask is beyond Carolina's comfort level to the extent in which the Canes start to prioritize value over fit, imo. New Jersey doesn't have the expendable centerpiece to motivate Carolina to trade him, otherwise.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
The Devils are only in the picture if Hanifin's contract ask is beyond Carolina's comfort level to the extent in which the Canes start to prioritize value over fit, imo. New Jersey doesn't have the expendable centerpiece to motivate Carolina to trade him, otherwise.

Hanifin can ask for whatever he wants. Unless he is going to sit out a year then he really has no say in his next contract. He will accept a 2-3 year ~$2-3 million bridge if he doesn’t want to sign long-term. Since he isn’t as good as Pesce currently I don’t think the Canes are giving him more than $4 million in a long deal.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Lmao what dude? Severson and a 1st is quantity not quality?

Just admit you have no clue who Damon Severson is

Think about it from Carolina's POV. They already have Faulk and Pesce on the right side occupying their top 4. Both are better than Severson. If they move out Hanifin, they'd likely want a replacement or a top 6 forward, preferably a C.

Also, Severson's name is included in a lot of Devils initiated proposals on the trade board which will raise eyebrows from opposing fans.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Think about it from Carolina's POV. They already have Faulk and Pesce on the right side occupying their top 4. Both are better than Severson. If they move out Hanifin, they'd likely want a replacement or a top 6 forward, preferably a C.

Also, Severson's name is included in a lot of Devils initiated proposals on the trade board which will raise eyebrows from opposing fans.
Oh im not arguing if its good value or not, Carolina likely doesnt do it

But the poster I quoted said the package was quantity and that is just simply false. Severson is at worst a #4 signed for five years at 4M at age 23, along with a first round. Good value or not its quality not quantity

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Lmao what dude? Severson and a 1st is quantity not quality?

Just admit you have no clue who Damon Severson is

I know Severson. He’s one of the most comparable D to Hanifin right now IMO but 3 years older. Basically Severson is Hanifin’s Floor.

What you don’t understand is that the Canes don’t need another Hanifin/Faulk type on the roster. They are currently trying to trade one. They need someone who can act as a veteran safety net for Hanifin or Faulk on the 2nd pair. This trade overloads the right side with the wrong kind of D on top of not addressing the #1C or #1G positions.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba

But the poster I quoted said the package was quantity and that is just simply false. Severson is at worst a #4 signed for five years at 4M at age 23, along with a first round. Good value or not its quality not quantity

Fair enough and I like Damon too.

Hanifin would be huge for the questionable left side in NJ but the asking price just doesn't work at the moment.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
I know Severson. He’s one of the most comparable D to Hanifin right now IMO but 3 years older. Basically Severson is Hanifin’s Floor.

What you don’t understand is that the Canes don’t need another Hanifin/Faulk type on the roster. They are currently trying to trade one. They need someone who can act as a veteran safety net for Hanifin or Faulk on the 2nd pair. This trade overloads the right side with the wrong kind of D on top of not addressing the #1C or #1G positions.
Oh no I get it, I think its a bad deal for Carolina. But to say its quantity instead of quality would just be silly.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Severson being a good #4 doesn’t make him quality value. The quality of value is in comparison to the asset being traded for. Inherently if you are adding additional assets for 1 piece then that is a “quantity for quality” deal.

For example I don’t expect that NJ would trade Hischier for Pesce just because Pesce has a great value contract. Pesce can be a “quality” piece without being worth Hischier. If the Canes sent Pesce++ for Hischier then I’d still consider that NJ’s quality for Carolina’s quantity.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Not sure why Carolina would want Severson. Better off offering a peice that is useful to Carolina.

NJD could also take back a bad contract like Darling or Rask if they view him as one.

Hanifin+Darling

For

Palmeri+2018 1st and Zacha.

NJ really doesn't have what Carolina would want for Hanifin, which is a Centre.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Not sure why Carolina would want Severson. Better off offering a peice that is useful to Carolina.

NJD could also take back a bad contract like Darling or Rask if they view him as one.

Hanifin+Darling

For

Big no from the Devils. I can create a cardboard cutout for much cheaper

Reactions: RodTheBawd

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Hence why the teams are not good trading partners. Devils still have a ways to go to become true contenders and just can't afford to give up a top 6 RW, a 2nd/3rd line C, and their only pick in the first 3 rounds this draft.

Zacha is a C

I know Zacha is a C.

I meant a good C.

Reactions: Tripod

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Hanifin can ask for whatever he wants. Unless he is going to sit out a year then he really has no say in his next contract. He will accept a 2-3 year ~$2-3 million bridge if he doesn’t want to sign long-term. Since he isn’t as good as Pesce currently I don’t think the Canes are giving him more than $4 million in a long deal.

I think that's how it ends up playing out, mind you. There have been a couple cases in which a team, basically Boston, has bailed on a tough contract negotiation (Kessel, Hamilton.) Not a strong possibility by any means, but perhaps the only scenario in which New Jersey is a fit as a trading partner.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Hanifin + Darling for Severson + Schneider? Hanifin + Darling + Saarela/Wallmark for Severson + Kinkaid + Zacha?

In either deal Carolina gets a goalie better than the one they're sending. Severson isn't as good as Hanifin but is a good young 4 and allows you to trade Faulk. You can find a vet D in free agency to help the top 4. The Zacha one gives you another good young C who can take some pressure off Aho or Necas as he can take the tough assignments like Staal can.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Hanifin + Darling for Severson + Schneider? Hanifin + Darling + Saarela/Wallmark for Severson + Kinkaid + Zacha?

In either deal Carolina gets a goalie better than the one they're sending. Severson isn't as good as Hanifin but is a good young 4 and allows you to trade Faulk. You can find a vet D in free agency to help the top 4. The Zacha one gives you another good young C who can take some pressure off Aho or Necas as he can take the tough assignments like Staal can.

Swap Hanifin for Faulk and maybe the Canes do your 1st deal. Hanifin doesn’t move without an equal quality piece coming back.

Faulk + Darling for Severson + Schneider

You are suggesting the Canes move Hanifin for a lower-quality Faulk replacement which would require then moving Faulk for a mystery box and create a big hole on the 2nd pairing. It makes no sense. Severson isn’t a valuable asset to Carolina, they are already trying to trade away one #3 RHD who is inconsistent defensively.

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Hanifin+Darling

For

holy cow I could not say no fast enough

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad