Speculation: NJ Offseason Thread Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Do the Devils have enough cap space to take on Bickell and Datsyuk, re-sign/extend their important RFAs and FAs, and add one impact player like Loui Eriksson?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Do the Devils have enough cap space to take on Bickell and Datsyuk, re-sign/extend their important RFAs and FAs, and add one impact player like Loui Eriksson?

Yes, but don't want Eriksson. On the extreme off chance we took both Dats and Bickell I don't expect us to dip into free agency.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
ill take every ****** contract in the league if we get good young players and picks back. cap space is our strength right now and we should play on it

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

They have room for one, but not both. I would also imagine the Devils stay away from a Datsyuk deal given the cap hit and less enticing assets.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
They have room for one, but not both. I would also imagine the Devils stay away from a Datsyuk deal given the cap hit and less enticing assets.

????
The Devils have 27 million in cap space at this moment, and can spend 8 million over the cap because of the Savard and Clowe contracts. That is 35 million right there. The Datsyuk and Bickell contracts in total would cost around 12 million. Our important FAs will probably cost around 8-12 million. Basically 22 million for all of that with 13 million to spare.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Take on Carle and Namestikov for a 4th or Melker Karlsson from SJ. Really like that kid.

RememberTheName

Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
I know Flyers - Devils trades almost never happen, but how about Jacobs for Morin/Hagg
The Devils are stacked on the right side, and the Flyers are stacked on the left. I think that it might favor the Devils a little bit, but I think this could be good as the base of a trade

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
????
The Devils have 27 million in cap space at this moment, and can spend 8 million over the cap because of the Savard and Clowe contracts. That is 35 million right there. The Datsyuk and Bickell contracts in total would cost around 12 million. Our important FAs will probably cost around 8-12 million. Basically 22 million for all of that with 13 million to spare.

You're way off on the way Clowe/Savard works. As Triumph noted, it's a complicated system for LTIR; you don't just get 8 million in cap credit. They can go over 10% in the off-season -- about 7 million -- but Clowe + Savard is already way over that.

It's not so much about if we can do it. It's about if it makes sense to do it. Does Shero really want to add an addition 11.5 million in dead space that infringes on what he can do? He's going to take on cap space, but I doubt he is going to do it to the point where it's going to play a role on what he can and can't do.

Savard + Clowe combined make 8.85 million. Bickell + Datsyuk would cost 11.5 million combined. In just that scenario, Shero would have to deal with an internal cap of ~20 million beneath the cap ceiling (~50 million) just to be cap compliant by Day 1. That's not worth the trouble it causes. There's many other areas where it will affect what we can do.

We have cap space, but that doesn't mean to be incredibly reckless with it.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
You're way off on the way Clowe/Savard works. As Triumph noted, it's a complicated system for LTIR; you don't just get 8 million in cap credit. They can go over 10% in the off-season -- about 7 million -- but Clowe + Savard is already way over that.

It's not so much about if we can do it. It's about if it makes sense to do it. Does Shero really want to add an addition 11.5 million in dead space that infringes on what he can do? He's going to take on cap space, but I doubt he is going to do it to the point where it's going to play a role on what he can and can't do.

Savard + Clowe combined make 8.85 million. Bickell + Datsyuk would cost 11.5 million combined. In just that scenario, Shero would have to deal with an internal cap of ~20 million beneath the cap ceiling (~50 million) just to be cap compliant by Day 1. That's not worth the trouble it causes. There's many other areas where it will affect what we can do.

Adding both definitely makes the summer cap tight.

Though, I wouldn't be surprised that if we do make a deal for Datsyuk or Bickell.. one of Clowe/Savard go the other way.

The Wings/Hawks will take the summer cap hit and use the 10% on that contract and just LTIR them day 1 while getting rid of the in-season cap hit from Datsyuk/Bickell. Savard especially makes sense for something like that with only 1 year left.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Adding both definitely makes the summer cap tight.

Though, I wouldn't be surprised that if we do make a deal for Datsyuk or Bickell.. one of Clowe/Savard go the other way.

The Wings/Hawks will take the summer cap hit and use the 10% on that contract and just LTIR them day 1 while getting rid of the in-season cap hit from Datsyuk/Bickell. Savard especially makes sense for something like that with only 1 year left.

A Savard/Bickell swap is something I never thought of.

That could be very interesting. Not sure entirely how that works, but I would assume the Blackhawks could LTIR Savard and get more relief than they could have otherwise. Same for Datsyuk/Savard.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
If you look at the underlying Stats, he really is not a product of Tavares

I think okposo is being really underrated here. He is a legit RW1

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
A Savard/Bickell swap is something I never thought of.

That could be very interesting. Not sure entirely how that works, but I would assume the Blackhawks could LTIR Savard and get more relief than they could have otherwise. Same for Datsyuk/Savard.

So they would have to have space on the summer cap (10% cushion) but on day 1 of training camp, Savard fails his physical and gets LTIRed so they'll fit under the regular season cap (no 10% cushion). Both teams have that ability right now.

With Bickell/Datsyuk, they are not LTIR eligible so they not only take up summer cap but also regular season cap. This would enable Hawks/Wings to take a hit on the summer cap (mostly utilizing 10% cushion) but then be completely free of a cap hit during the season. There's some implications on saving cap for trade deadline, etc. but much more minimal than having Bickell/Datsuyk's cap hits.

Could be an interesting play if Shero is looking to pick up another dead contract without hurting our flexibility too much. I don't imagine it would hurt the value of the deal either as it's essentially a nothing cap hit. This is why I don't really understand this trade from FLA's POV. It gives them some flexibility in the summer, sure.. but they still have to be under the cap by day 1.. so they didn't really buy themselves much.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If you look at the underlying Stats, he really is not a product of Tavares

I think okposo is being really underrated here. He is a legit RW1

Or at the very least, an excellent RW2. He and Palm's would cement the RW spots on the top 2 lines for the next 6 years.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

But both the Savard and Datsyuk contracts are only for one more year right? Then we are back in cap space heaven again.

I'm not positive Shero goes in this off season, I think our talent pool looks waaayyyy better then it did last year, but as noted it's not exactly the envy of the league, and Shero might want to really stock that pond before putting his chips in.

And even if he had planned to make big moves this offseason, does he see the Savard and Datsyuk deals and think aight I'll wait one more year?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
But both the Savard and Datsyuk contracts are only for one more year right? Then we are back in cap space heaven again.

I'm not positive Shero goes in this off season, I think our talent pool looks waaayyyy better then it did last year, but as noted it's not exactly the envy of the league, and Shero might want to really stock that pond before putting his chips in.

And even if he had planned to make big moves this offseason, does he see the Savard and Datsyuk deals and think aight I'll wait one more year?

Yes, they are for one more year and I absolutely agree about the prospect pool. I've been saying Keller gives us that one dynamic that we're missing. That's more than reasonable. He can also just take whatever he gets from Datsyuk/Bickell deal, add another forward, and possibly another LD. Assuming Bickell + Teravainen:

Cammalleri - Henrique - Hudler
Boucher - Zajac - Palmieri
Teravainen - Zacha - DSP
Bickell - Josefson - Kalinin

I would love that going into next year. Teravainen, Hudler, Boucher, and Zacha could all be shuffled around too.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It seems like people claim that everyone who plays with Tavares is a product of him.

And since Matt Moulson completely fell off a cliff in the last year, people think they look right about him being a product of Tavares.

But he reality is that he didn't fall off immediately after being separated from Tavares.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I know a lot of people are set on not fixing what isn't broken with the Boucher-Zajac-Palmieri line.. and I'm one of them.. but I'm so intrigued by a Zacha-Zajac-Palms concept.

Maybe towards the middle of the year after PZ gets his legs under him...?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I know a lot of people are set on not fixing what isn't broken with the Boucher-Zajac-Palmieri line.. and I'm one of them.. but I'm so intrigued by a Zacha-Zajac-Palms concept.

Ya we can do that but I agree maybe later on. Not sure I do that out f the gate unless some new chemistry brews out of camp.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto

I have a hard time seeing Boucher as a long-term top 6 player. I think ideally he could be a 3rd line player once he fully develops that can jump up the lineup from time to time. I'm also intrigued with Zacha being on that line with his size and skill. I'd prefer to see him develop as a center but we will see.

RememberTheName

Jan 5, 2016
On Earth

If Elias is resigned, I would rather put Zacha on a line with him than that line, and let Boucher face some tougher competition.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Any trade for Bickell or Datysuk will involve a NJ player being sent to Chicago or Detroit. Especially if we get a 2 players plus draft picks in each deal. i.e. Datsyuk + Pulkkinen.

Even though the trade is made for cap purposes, it still has to kinda look like a hockey trade, hence Black and Thompson sent to Florida in the Savard deal.

So which remaining AHLers can we send? Scarlett, Thomson, Heleguson? All our older AHL lifers are UFAs.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Any trade for Bickell or Datysuk will involve a NJ player being sent to Chicago or Detroit. Especially if we get a 2 players plus draft picks in each deal. i.e. Datsyuk + Pulkkinen.

Even though the trade is made for cap purposes, it still has to kinda look like a hockey trade, hence Black and Thompson sent to Florida in the Savard deal.

So which remaining AHLers can we send? Scarlett, Thomson, Heleguson? All our older AHL lifers are UFAs.

We don't for Bickell as he is healthy and able to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce