Speculation: NJ Offseason Thread Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
So this is just a thought, but are we sure Shero has a full green light to spend and isn't told to just get over the floor and stop?

I know the odds are low, but do we have anything on record saying one way or another?

I do expect Shero to be wheeling and dealing, but it is still a thought.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I can think of scenarios where we spend little money and are still trying to win (trading for young, controllable assets plus signing short-term patches) and it's almost impossible for them not to have a bottom half payroll again this year regardless. But I will be dissapointed if they don't come out of the offseason with AT LEAST one major forward addition either via UFA or trade. They do kind of need a top four D too but I'm not expecting that to be filled this offseason (other than finding a short-term patch) because of the expansion draft.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
So this is just a thought, but are we sure Shero has a full green light to spend and isn't told to just get over the floor and stop?

I know the odds are low, but do we have anything on record saying one way or another?

I do expect Shero to be wheeling and dealing, but it is still a thought.

Shero said last year he has the green light to spend as much as he wants. People gave him crap for it last summer. He also said he won't spend money just to spend it...has to be the right situation and players.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I can think of scenarios where we spend little money and are still trying to win (trading for young, controllable assets plus signing short-term patches) and it's almost impossible for them not to have a bottom half payroll again this year regardless. But I will be dissapointed if they don't come out of the offseason with AT LEAST one major forward addition either via UFA or trade. They do kind of need a top four D too but I'm not expecting that to be filled this offseason (other than finding a short-term patch) because of the expansion draft.

I agree with all of this. I'm okay with the D, AS LONG as we at least re-sign Schlemko. With the team system we play (assuming it wasn't a fluke and holds up for next year) I think we'll be fine with rolling this D again. But trotting out guys like Warsofsky and Helgeson every night and junk forwards, we might see a lot more games like we did around games 65-79 of the season this past year. With all the games of close to 40 shots against. I'd like more offense out of the back end, it's whatever though.

We absolutely need another forward and no more Josefson as 3rd line center again. That will be a massive strike against Shero for me. If we bring him back in that role, it will be even more extreme to the ''We're giving him every chance'' side of things than the ''He never got a chance at all'' side under Pete. It would be ridiculous to give him another chance there. I'm starting to at least feel semi-comfortable that we're probably not bringing Tootoo back. I never really though Ruutu would be back at all. Gionta I'm not sure about, but for the sake of Josefson being the 4th line center, I'm hoping he's gone too. Because we know if he's here at all, it WON'T be as a 13th/14th forward. That's for sure.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Ya I agree we need to some at least one substantial move forward via trade or UFA (more likely trade). If we just collect picks for the next three drafts I'll be disappointed and bit impatient.

Definitely need either the left side of D or RW addressed in some way this offseason. Prefer RW since we almost definitely lose the D we sign or Severson in the expansion draft.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
To answer DD's question on prospect camp from the last thread

I don't believe it's been announced yet. July 11th-15th seems to be the safe bet, if I had to guess.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Just hope people dont ( and I know some do ) think we are at the end of the rebuild process...we are still very much in the middle of it. Another season or two of no playoffs should be expected.

Two years is getting unreasonable. We can't be floating in neverland for another two years. If we are going to be picking outside of the top ten the next two years we need to be making some kind of reasonable attempt to make the playoffs.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Just thinking about this right now, but the way the Devils are headed, I wouldn't be surprised to see Shero splash on a player like Okposo or Goligoski, but on a heavily front-loaded deal.

If you think about it, Henrique, Larsson, and likely Palmieri will be making over their AAV in a couple years. When you factor in a cap hit like Savards (~4 million AAV but .575 salary), we're going to have boatloads of money to spend. There's little harm in adding Okposo to a front-loaded deal like:

2016-17: 8.5 million
2017-18: 8 million
2018-19: 7.25 million
2019-20: 7 million
2020-21: 7 million
2021-22: 6 million
2022-23: 5 million

That comes out to 7 years 48.75 million or an AAV of 6.96 million. You could definitely toy around with the money a little bit to lower that AAV, but the idea remains the same. Depending on the latter years, it could make for a contract that's very easy to move down the road. Same can go for Goligoski.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Just hope people dont ( and I know some do ) think we are at the end of the rebuild process...we are still very much in the middle of it. Another season or two of no playoffs should be expected.

They really have to import at least two serious forward and one defense upgrades by next training camp (and by next I mean Sept 2017). If that happens the rebuild should be over. Solutions aren't going to come from within, at least not this soon other than Zacha maybe. Anything short of that and we're just running in place with our key players getting two years older. I recognize they can't get it all done in one shot but with a boatload of cap space there's really no excuse to sit on it forever either.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They really have to import at least two serious forward and one defense upgrades by next training camp (and by next I mean Sept 2017). If that happens the rebuild should be over. Solutions aren't going to come from within, at least not this soon other than Zacha maybe. Anything short of that and we're just running in place with our key players getting two years older. I recognize they can't get it all done in one shot but with a boatload of cap space there's really no excuse to sit on it forever either.

Not if we are middling out that is for sure. We either need to start making moves towards the playoffs in the very near future or start cashing out on vets for higher value futures.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Not if we are middling out that is for sure. We either need to start making moves towards the playoffs in the very near future or start cashing out on vets for higher value futures.

In all honesty, I think middling out may be this team's best option.

I may be a bit optimistic, but I'm confident in the foundation we have right now. If we could add Keller in this draft, I sincerely think this team has everything it needs to start competing again. I think whatever we lack could be filled externally by assets we have right now. I think it's crucial that we add players that are good enough to assist the development of the young players we have right now. I would rather not see our prospects struggling playing over their head or be paired with journeyman players because we don't have enough alternative. I want to see them push their competition for spots and make us trade away older veterans. Just like how Merrill pushed out Tallinder and Severson pushed out Zidlicky.

I'm indifferent on whether adding a long-term option like Okposo/Goligoski is the right move right now. However, adding players of similar caliber, namely a top six RW and top four LD, is absolutely needed. I'm leaning more towards short term deals for guys like Hudler or Campbell who will fill those roles while also being valuable trade chips. Adding guys like Kennedy, Schlemko, Tlusty, etc when the kids aren't ready just ends up hurting everyone, in my opinion.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Just thinking about this right now, but the way the Devils are headed, I wouldn't be surprised to see Shero splash on a player like Okposo or Goligoski, but on a heavily front-loaded deal.

If you think about it, Henrique, Larsson, and likely Palmieri will be making over their AAV in a couple years. When you factor in a cap hit like Savards (~4 million AAV but .575 salary), we're going to have boatloads of money to spend. There's little harm in adding Okposo to a front-loaded deal like:

2016-17: 8.5 million
2017-18: 8 million
2018-19: 7.25 million
2019-20: 7 million
2020-21: 7 million
2021-22: 6 million
2022-23: 5 million

That comes out to 7 years 48.75 million or an AAV of 6.96 million. You could definitely toy around with the money a little bit to lower that AAV, but the idea remains the same. Depending on the latter years, it could make for a contract that's very easy to move down the road. Same can go for Goligoski.

Okposo is not worth that. No way we should offer $7 million. I'd be much more comfortable at around $6 million.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'd rather it be closer to 6 million as well, but I'm not going to lose it if we give him 7 million. It is free agency after all, and we might need to go a little higher to get him interested.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Who would actually offer in $7 million? Cap is not increasing and I would say that could play a big role in salaries. He isn't worth that.

It's NHL free agency...the rule of thumb is anything you think a player should be worth add at least a million a year to it and another year or two and that's what the player actually gets :P

i.e. if people think Okposo's worth six million he's probably getting seven. There's always that one team that thinks they're one player away, or a rebuilding team that figures they have to overpay to get players and improve (which btw is a category we're in) and drives up the market.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
In all honesty, I think middling out may be this team's best option.

I may be a bit optimistic, but I'm confident in the foundation we have right now. If we could add Keller in this draft, I sincerely think this team has everything it needs to start competing again. I think whatever we lack could be filled externally by assets we have right now. I think it's crucial that we add players that are good enough to assist the development of the young players we have right now. I would rather not see our prospects struggling playing over their head or be paired with journeyman players because we don't have enough alternative. I want to see them push their competition for spots and make us trade away older veterans. Just like how Merrill pushed out Tallinder and Severson pushed out Zidlicky.

I'm indifferent on whether adding a long-term option like Okposo/Goligoski is the right move right now. However, adding players of similar caliber, namely a top six RW and top four LD, is absolutely needed. I'm leaning more towards short term deals for guys like Hudler or Campbell who will fill those roles while also being valuable trade chips. Adding guys like Kennedy, Schlemko, Tlusty, etc when the kids aren't ready just ends up hurting everyone, in my opinion.

I just need to see a solid attempt at the playoffs this year, and I honestly need to feel the team is a favorite for a playoff spot by the start of camp in 2017. I don't need to see big splashes in free agency, but I want to see at least one good trade and some decent free agents at least.

On Campbell Florida seems keen on keeping him and they have lots of space to do it. Chicago really wants him too (why they need Bickell off the books).

Group Chat Legend*

Okposo is worth 5. I wouldn't go any more than that. And that won't land him.

Don't think I want Okposo either. Product of Tavares like Moulson was.

Stamkos please, 10m/6years 60 million because he will WANT to come here :)

People don't believe but I do. Man has gotta have dreams and hold to them.

But if not him Eriksson on 5 years would be okay.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009

hard to tell right now

need to wait and see, say July 15th, and it should be pretty obvious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad