Proposal: Nj-mtl

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm probably one of the few Hab fans that think that Subban would light it up for the Habs. But....no cap space.

Miles...3rd liner lefty with 2.75 cap hit, possible 2nd liner future

Interesting player but what is his speed like and how is his 200 ft game. If he is mediocre in either, hard pass.

Honest assessment from Devils fans?

Usability for us is good but limited. He's not an impact player but adds to our 4 line philosophy of distributed scoring and abilities. Value equal to Lehkonen and below Armia. Trade value...below first but maybe early 2nd IF he meets the 200ft/speed requirements. Otherwise not much use other then not signing Tatar or getting rid of Byron.

Last edited:

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Interesting player but what is his speed like and how is his 200 ft game. If he is mediocre in either, hard pass.

Honest assessment from Devils fans?

He is literally the fastest player, blue line to blue line, ever recorded in the NHL. He plays a pure power game, and his physical tools are unparalleled. He is not a good defensive player, however, here's what I wrote in another thread.

Wood is a guy that comes up in trade proposals a lot because he plays a high energy game and tends to make an impression on opposing team's fans. As recently as last year he was underperforming his (rather modest) contract and some Devils fans even wanted to buy him out. His game matured significantly this year, but his defensive impacts are still poor. I have hope that that part of his game will mature too. If it does, he will become a very valuable physical two-way forward.

Proposal: - Tor - NJ

Reactions: HabsAddict

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He is literally the fastest player, blue line to blue line, ever recorded in the NHL. He plays a pure power game, and his physical tools are unparalleled. He is not a good defensive player, however, here's what I wrote in another thread.

Wood is a guy that comes up in trade proposals a lot because he plays a high energy game and tends to make an impression on opposing team's fans. As recently as last year he was underperforming his (rather modest) contract and some Devils fans even wanted to buy him out. His game matured significantly this year, but his defensive impacts are still poor. I have hope that that part of his game will mature too. If it does, he will become a very valuable physical two-way forward.

Proposal: - Tor - NJ
Ohhhhh boy....not good.

He literally will have to fill the shoes of two exceptional defensive players in Lehky or Byron. Even Tatar is defensively responsible.

He will NOT get a pass on this with the Habs. We got rid of Domi partially because he's an offensive diva that was bothered by paying the 200ft game.

So this becomes a no go unless Bbinz thinks that it's a simple learning curve rather then a mental processor issue.

So is it the Devils system or an Atari processor?

Value for us is...NO trade....but....can he learn? I think that given the hard cap and given that we have no room....it becomes a harder no.....UNLESS Devils take back salary.

Reactions: Blackjack

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Ohhhhh boy....not good.

He literally will have to fill the shoes of two exceptional defensive players in Lehky or Byron. Even Tatar is defensively responsible.

He will NOT get a pass on this with the Habs. We got rid of Domi partially because he's an offensive diva that was bothered by paying the 200ft game.

So this becomes a no go unless Bbinz thinks that it's a simple learning curve rather then a mental processor issue.

Value for us is...NO trade....but....can he learn? I think that given the hard cap and given that we have no room....UNLESS Devils take back salary.

It's not an effort issue, Wood is not a diva. But he does play an aggressive, attacking game, and the puck will sometimes come back on a turnover because of that aggression. I believe he can have a place on a playoff team, but he will need to be on a line with a defensively responsible center, and you would not be putting him out on the ice for a defensive zone draw in the 3rd period of a 1 goal game.

Reactions: HabsAddict

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's not an effort issue, Wood is not a diva. But he does play an aggressive, attacking game, and the puck will sometimes come back on a turnover because of that aggression. I believe he can have a place on a playoff team, but he will need to be on a line with a defensively responsible center, and you would not be putting him out on the ice for a defensive zone draw in the 3rd period of a 1 goal game.

So it's a learning curve on a team that has no room for anyone who doesn't play the 200ft game. Our centers are defensively responsible.....to a fault. Mistakes are allowed, but he will have no choice but to play responsibly or he's going to be flying paper airplanes from the booth.....

Question becomes, our weakest player that can we can upgrade now is Byron, but he also comes with a pre-covid 3.5 million cap hit. He's almost useless for the Devils because he's to old to build on.

Lehky and Armia trade are out of the question because he's not that much better then them offensively.

Tatar is too valuable offensively to trade for him and a FA at the end of the year.

So we are nowhere fast on this. Unless there is a cheap enough price on him, like a a late second or lower OR there is a piece we have that interest the Devils....like a Brooks/Fleury/Tuch/Struble and a throw in 3rd pick, there is nothing top be had here.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Take out the picks.

Ah, so just a top 6 forward who has been contributing at a 24G 63P pace the last 3 years for a D who had to wait until January 5th to sign a one year low dollar deal with one of the worst teams in the league.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
There’s no fit for the Habs from NJ beyond maybe a pick for an expiring UFA like Vats or Murray or Kulikov. NJ had Wood on the ice to close the game tonight. They obviously see something in him they like. Given the quarantine issue this wouldn’t seem to be a good season for cross border trades.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
There’s no fit for the Habs from NJ beyond maybe a pick for an expiring UFA like Vats or Murray or Kulikov. NJ had Wood on the ice to close the game tonight. They obviously see something in him they like. Given the quarantine issue this wouldn’t seem to be a good season for cross border trades.
You're right, Wood has found his game
Hes making nice passes off the boards, taken a leadership role, and made less nonehead plays. Total over payment to move him imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad