Salary wise would work

Nj could resign Tatar if he works well there

mtl needs to replace Chiarot due to injury

mtl could use Woods grit and style of play to replace Tatar

thoughts? Comments?

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
vatanen and tatar basically have the same contract so they equal each other out and Devils would definitely not resign him.

So Miles Wood who is our leading scorer for a 2nd and 3rd? Tempting but no.

Reactions: voxel

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
vatanen and tatar basically have the same contract so they equal each other out and Devils would definitely not resign him.

So Miles Wood who is our leading scorer for a 2nd and 3rd? Tempting but no.

This would be an interesting bargaining move if not for the fact we are on the internet. Wood has 12 points in 25 games, good for a 3 way tie for 4th on the devils.

Also, why do you think vatanen and Tatar have the same contract and why would that mean they are equal value? Vatanen is a 5'10 offensive defenseman who has only 2 points in 15 games. He signed a 1 year 2M deal a week before the season started. Tatar makes 5.3M retained to 4.8 and even in a down year is outscoring "leading scorer" miles wood with 16 in 27. That is after posting 61 in 68 last year.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
This would be an interesting bargaining move if not for the fact we are on the internet. Wood has 12 points in 25 games, good for a 3 way tie for 4th on the devils.

Also, why do you think vatanen and Tatar have the same contract and why would that mean they are equal value? Vatanen is a 5'10 offensive defenseman who has only 2 points in 15 games. He signed a 1 year 2M deal a week before the season started. Tatar makes 5.3M retained to 4.8 and even in a down year is outscoring "leading scorer" miles wood with 16 in 27. That is after posting 61 in 68 last year.
Since we are on the internet, you'll notice that one is a UFA and the other is still an RFA after an additional year. So, your player outscoring their leading scorer really means nothing. They play a different game.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Tatar doesn’t do anything for the Devils, as he’s an expiring contract. It’s a very underwhelming return for Wood, who we’d rather hang onto.

Plenty of rental defensemen that you can have, though. Kulikov, Murray, Vatanen... and I know a few Habs fans have inquired about Butcher.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Since we are on the internet, you'll notice that one is a UFA and the other is still an RFA after an additional year. So, your player outscoring their leading scorer really means nothing. They play a different game.

The players that are supposedly "the same" are Vatanen and Tatar, who are both UFA at the end of the year.

I threw in the comparison between Tatar and Woods because despite Tatar being an exponentially better player than Woods the Devils "would definitely not re-sign him", but a worse player was too valuable to trade because he was their leading scorer (but wasn't?) at less than 0.5ppg.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Wood has term and remains an RFA at the end of his current deal. He can score goals and plays an important role for NJ. He isn't someone a team moves for a low second and low third. NJ gets no value from an expiring UFA deal. If MTL wants Wood they'd have to offer a real hockey deal that might interest NJ.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The players that are supposedly "the same" are Vatanen and Tatar, who are both UFA at the end of the year.

I threw in the comparison between Tatar and Woods because despite Tatar being an exponentially better player than Woods the Devils "would definitely not re-sign him", but a worse player was too valuable to trade because he was their leading scorer (but wasn't?) at less than 0.5ppg.
Tatar is turning 31 at the end of the year. He doesn't really fit what NJD are trying to do. Woods definitely holds more value to NJD than Tatar.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Tatar for Wood would be an absolute non starter for NJ, no reason to grab a UFA when they're clearly tanking. Especially for a RFA with years of control

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Tatar is turning 31 at the end of the year. He doesn't really fit what NJD are trying to do. Woods definitely holds more value to NJD than Tatar.

You are completely free to not want Tatar, but let's not pretend a third liner is better than actual scoring line player just because he's RFA. In the three years since coming to Montreal Tatar has produced at a 24G, 63P per 82 game pace while being a major part of one of the best 5 on 5 lines in the league. Wood's career high is half Tatar's at just 32 points, and it was his only year above 25 points.

For reference Kyle Palmieri has produced 28G, 54P per 82 games and is exactly 2 months younger than Tatar. Devils fans expect a sizeable return for him, but the team has also expressed interest in re-signing him. I guess those 2 months make him dramatically younger enough to be part of their plans though. If the Devils traded Wood and Palmieri both I would expect Palmieri as a rental scorer would net a better return Wood, just as Tatar is a more valuable than a third line RFA.

Reactions: Jpageman and Derps

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
You are completely free to not want Tatar, but let's not pretend a third liner is better than actual scoring line player just because he's RFA. In the three years since coming to Montreal Tatar has produced at a 24G, 63P per 82 game pace while being a major part of one of the best 5 on 5 lines in the league. Wood's career high is half Tatar's at just 32 points, and it was his only year above 25 points.

For reference Kyle Palmieri has produced 28G, 54P per 82 games and is exactly 2 months younger than Tatar. Devils fans expect a sizeable return for him, but the team has also expressed interest in re-signing him. I guess those 2 months make him dramatically younger enough to be part of their plans though. If the Devils traded Wood and Palmieri both I would expect Palmieri as a rental scorer would net a better return Wood, just as Tatar is a more valuable than a third line RFA.

Value-wise you may be right (however Wood provides a good production, speed and grit for relatively cheap price), although Tatar as an upcoming UFA doesn't make sense for us at all. We are going to miss the playoffs by a wide margin this year. You'd be better off shopping Tatar to playoff teams.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

The difference is the Devils have no interest in moving Wood (save for a massive overpayment), yet Habs fans seem quite content with moving on from Tatar. He’s in damn near every one of their proposals.

Reactions: hidek91 and HBK27

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
The difference is the Devils have no interest in moving Wood (save for a massive overpayment), yet Habs fans seem quite content with moving on from Tatar. He’s in damn near every one of their proposals.
"We really don't want to trade him, but please take him" :D

I like Tatar, but I'm afraid he's started his decline. I wouldn't want to extend him unless it's for very little money (less than he makes now), which I'm sure he'll never accept anywhere. I really, REALLY do not see why the Devils would ever want to get him. If he goes anywhere, it's to a contender who has picks/prospects to literally throw away.

Reactions: hidek91

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

The poster was referring to Wood being the leading goal scorer, which he is for NJ with 8 goals this season - 1 ahead of Zacha for the team lead.

You are completely free to not want Tatar, but let's not pretend a third liner is better than actual scoring line player just because he's RFA.

Who in this thread actually made this claim? I looked, but couldn't find it.

There are those that (correctly) made the claim that Wood is much more valuable - particularly for the Devils - given his age and years left of team control versus them taking on an expiring contract.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I'll give you a conditional pick + Mete for Vatanen at 50%

Pick is based on games played.

If Vatanen play 25+ games including playoffs its a second

15 - 24 it's a third

Less than 15 it's a 4th.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Take out Miles Wood and the offer is fair.

Habs aren't getting Miles Wood for anything less than a late 1st (or two early 2nds).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00