Confirmed with Link: [NJ/EDM] Oilers acquire Kulikov for conditional 4th (3rd if Oilers win a playoff round)

How would you grade this trade?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Kulikov will play quite a bit in the playoffs IMO. Curious though did Kulikov do these horrible giveaways a lot in NJ?
My guess is NJ runs a boards/winger out system, because all of his giveaways look like controlled passes to nobody on the wing, which to me means it’s muscle memory for him. Like he’s expecting somebody to be there for the out. It could take a while to change that.

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
Interesting take. Could make sense. That is where he has struggled the most.
My guess is NJ runs a boards/winger out system, because all of his giveaways look like controlled passes to nobody on the wing, which to me means it’s muscle memory for him. Like he’s expecting somebody to be there for the out. It could take a while to change that.

Reactions: Cloned

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I might be in the minority here, but out of Russell/Lagesson/Kulikov/Koekkokek/Jones I actually prefer Jones.

Good Jones yes! But Brain-Fart Jones appears randomly for entire games.

Lagesson was the most steady in the AHL.

Kulikov had one good game against the Flames. The rest - call me unimpressed.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Let Kulikov sit a game. Lagesson was good in the most recent game he played. Laggy and Larsson were good in the season as well. Give the pair a game.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
I think he will get better as he grows into the system. I like alot of his game but yes his outlet passing has been bad. Barrie was terrible the first 5-10 games.

Reactions: Giggleplex

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I haven't got a chance to watch him that much(early mornings and West games don't mix very well :(), but his fancies are really interesting.

His xGF/60 with the Oilers is tied with Barrie for second on the team. Larsson's xGF/60 has jumped over 25% with him. Seems like he's really changed that pairing from a purely defensive pairing to something that creates offense too.

That's with less than 10% of his 5v5 ice time being with McDavid as well.

Reactions: The Safe Play

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I've mostly found him solid, but it seems like he struggles when the play go off-script. He's been good with Larsson (as the fancies show), but I'm not sure I trust him on a shutdown pairing.

Imo what I would like to see is Bouchard in full time with Kulikov babysitting him, and Larsson and Bear teamed up on the middle pairing.

Nurse-Barrie
Bear-Larsson
Kulikov-Bouchard

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I don't mind Kulikov, although he's been a lot more of a high-event player than I expected. He has some offensive flair but he's had some bad turnovers in his own end.

I'd give him more time, he's still getting used to a new system. As of now though I prefer Jones.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
So if the Oil win the 1st playoff round then we will have only a 1st round pick and no 2nd (gone in the AA trade) or 3rd rounder (gone in Kulikov trade) in this summer's draft? Is that correct?

Reactions: Aerchon

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I don't mind Kulikov, although he's been a lot more of a high-event player than I expected. He has some offensive flair but he's had some bad turnovers in his own end.

I'd give him more time, he's still getting used to a new system. As of now though I prefer Jones.
I view Kulikov as an upgrade over Russell.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Where is the misinterpretation? Lagesson will only be a good top 4 Dman in AHL, not NHL.
Good bottom pairing Dman if Larsson is his partner which is pretty good.
#4 to me means top 4 Dman and #5 means someone who carries the 3rd pairing. Lagesson isnt either but is an upgrade over Jones, Russell and the current version of Kulikov.
In your original response you were talking currently, I was talking his potential.

You really think Lagesson will be a good bottom pairing dman only if Larsson is his partner? I fully expect after a few years in the NHL he'll be a great shutdown dman, regardless of partner.

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
In your original response you were talking currently, I was talking his potential.

You really think Lagesson will be a good bottom pairing dman only if Larsson is his partner? I fully expect after a few years in the NHL he'll be a great shutdown dman, regardless of partner.

I'm still a big Lagesson fan. I would easily pencil him in as our #5/6 moving forward. Not saying he has shown enough for that faith forsure, but in limited viewing he has done well.

The 200 nhl game mark is where you can judge a defensemans overall potential and the 400 game mark is where you should be able to see what you actually have.

Lagesson has only had... 26? And has shown "well enough" to earn more but unfortunately/fortunately we have enough depth that is keeping him from getting more.

Edit: I hope Broberg gets a lot of ahl time. From reports it sounds like he needs it. But more so because of Lagesson and Samorukov. Both imo have significantly less flashy games but that I think "should" be excellent depth defenders with top 4 upside.

Rushing Broberg will all but certainly narrow the window on those two even if Klefbom doesn't come back.

pratt

Oct 8, 2019
Edmonton
I've mostly found him solid, but it seems like he struggles when the play go off-script. He's been good with Larsson (as the fancies show), but I'm not sure I trust him on a shutdown pairing.

Imo what I would like to see is Bouchard in full time with Kulikov babysitting him, and Larsson and Bear teamed up on the middle pairing.

Nurse-Barrie
Bear-Larsson
Kulikov-Bouchard

I counted at least 4 terrible own zone giveaways in last nights game from him. I do think he’ll get better in our system though, but it’s a bit worrisome to see from a veteran who you expect to be an upgrade on a younger D or Russell.

To me, even though he plays quite differently than Jones, at their worst they end up in the same place. Jones will make terrible plays with extreme urgency while Kulikov seems to make terrible plays with very relaxed play.

Hoping to see improvement as we play out these final few games.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I'm still a big Lagesson fan. I would easily pencil him in as our #5/6 moving forward. Not saying he has shown enough for that faith forsure, but in limited viewing he has done well.

The 200 nhl game mark is where you can judge a defensemans overall potential and the 400 game mark is where you should be able to see what you actually have.

Lagesson has only had... 26? And has shown "well enough" to earn more but unfortunately/fortunately we have enough depth that is keeping him from getting more.

Edit: I hope Broberg gets a lot of ahl time. From reports it sounds like he needs it. But more so because of Lagesson and Samorukov. Both imo have significantly less flashy games but that I think "should" be excellent depth defenders with top 4 upside.

Rushing Broberg will all but certainly narrow the window on those two even if Klefbom doesn't come back.
He might be gone to Seattle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad