Confirmed with Link: [NJ/EDM] Oilers acquire Kulikov for conditional 4th (3rd if Oilers win a playoff round)

How would you grade this trade?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
So if the Oil win the 1st playoff round then we will have only a 1st round pick and no 2nd (gone in the AA trade) or 3rd rounder (gone in Kulikov trade) in this summer's draft? Is that correct?
No. Our 2021 3rd rounder went to Calgary after the league prorated Neal's goals.

Kulikov's trade condition is meant for the 2022 draft.

134dd33a5c.png

We still have our 1st, 4th, 2 6th, and a 7th round pick this upcoming draft shown below.

4971f4c858.png

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I counted at least 4 terrible own zone giveaways in last nights game from him. I do think he’ll get better in our system though, but it’s a bit worrisome to see from a veteran who you expect to be an upgrade on a younger D or Russell.

To me, even though he plays quite differently than Jones, at their worst they end up in the same place. Jones will make terrible plays with extreme urgency while Kulikov seems to make terrible plays with very relaxed play.

Hoping to see improvement as we play out these final few games.

Funny enough I see that in reverse.

In my eye the biggest difference is when Kulikov doesn't seem to know where to move the puck, and the pressure gets to him, he'll cough the puck up in the worst ways but when he looks like he knows where his safety valve is, even if it's a quick read, he executes the play correctly more often then not.

Jones on the other hand has a nasty habit to skate himself into bad situations that he could have avoided. He struggles to make that quick read.

Basically imo, Kulikov is liable to get burned when put under pressure, but Jones has a tendancy to spontaneously combust when everything seemed under control...

But that's with the puck; without the puck Kulikov is leagues ahead when it comes to defensive play, due to far better positional and physical play.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
No. Our 2021 3rd rounder went to Calgary after the league prorated Neal's goals.

Kulikov's trade condition is meant for the 2022 draft.

134dd33a5c.png

We still have our 1st, 4th, 2 6th, and a 7th round pick this upcoming draft shown below.

4971f4c858.png

Thanks, hopefully we can reacquire a pick in a trade.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He might be gone to Seattle.

It's been awhile since I've looked at it but I know that we will lose someone I'd rather keep but no one that is a sure thing.

I think Lagesson "could" end up a top 4 defenseman. I think he will be a solid bottom pairing guy if he isn't already.

Exactly the kind of player that would suck to lose but isn't the end of the world if we do.

It's unfortunate but every team, except Vegas, has to lose someone or something.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Phone lines between GM's likely to start burning up at the beginning of June as jockeying to protect assets take place. For example we have an open Goaltender slot and need to exchange a Dman.
When the playoffs end there will be a flurry of activity?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Phone lines between GM's likely to start burning up at the beginning of June as jockeying to protect assets take place. For example we have an open Goaltender slot and need to exchange a Dman.
When the playoffs end there will be a flurry of activity?

Not sure there's really a goalie I'd trade for to protect. Not much there.

Talbot, Vanecek, Holtby, Allen, Khudobin, DeSmith, Adin Hill, etc.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not sure there's really a goalie I'd trade for to protect. Not much there.

Talbot, Vanecek, Holtby, Allen, Khudobin, DeSmith, Adin Hill, etc.

I'm kinda thinking Arizona protects Adin Hill and exposes Kuemper or trades him here rather than lose him to Seattle.

To be honest I got time for Cam Talbot, it might be a bit awkward for him, but I think we made a mistake choosing Koskinen over Talbot.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Expand your thinking. Who said it needs to be our starter or who said it needs to be just a goalie in the trade?

Even if they miraculously get rid of Koskinen, I don't know if I'd want to give up assets for any of those guys as a backup.

Maybe Talbot, but he's basically protected with Dumba likely being the pick from Minny.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I'm kinda thinking Arizona protects Adin Hill and exposes Kuemper or trades him here rather than lose him to Seattle.

To be honest I got time for Cam Talbot, it might be a bit awkward for him, but I think we made a mistake choosing Koskinen over Talbot.

If Arizona is willing to hear offers for Kuemper, Holland better be at the front of the line.

If we are able to swing a trade for him just re-sign Smith to a similar deal to this year's and have them go 1A/1B

pratt

Oct 8, 2019
Edmonton

In my eye the biggest difference is when Kulikov doesn't seem to know where to move the puck, and the pressure gets to him, he'll cough the puck up in the worst ways but when he looks like he knows where his safety valve is, even if it's a quick read, he executes the play correctly more often then not.

Jones on the other hand has a nasty habit to skate himself into bad situations that he could have avoided. He struggles to make that quick read.

Basically imo, Kulikov is liable to get burned when put under pressure, but Jones has a tendancy to spontaneously combust when everything seemed under control...

But that's with the puck; without the puck Kulikov is leagues ahead when it comes to defensive play, due to far better positional and physical play.

I don’t disagree with you in general when it comes to Jones. Most of the giveaways I’ve seen from Kulikov have been pretty blatant. Mild pressure and and nice calm giveaway right to the other team. I’m pretty sure it’s a system thing, at least I hope it is, but the team looked much better with lags playing with larsson last night. Hopefully that gave Kulikov a chance to watch the system from above and he’ll come back improved.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I would have loved to see another condition as a part of this pick, something like needs to play at least half of Oilers playoff games. Some insurance against an injury or poor play.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

Agreed. I find that Kulikov moves the puck much faster than Bear or Jones, sometimes he makes the wrong decision, but at least he does it quickly. Kulikov is also good at stopping a cycle, which most of our other D cannot. I think the D to D play has improved between him and Larsson, because Larsson was just unable to find the guy with a clean pass when he was new in the lineup.

Reactions: Blue Line Turnover

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad