NJ Devils v NY Rangers at MSG, 7 EDT, NHLN, MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I think the people that like him the most are the casuals, and most of the time they are the loudest. And let's not kid ourselves, outside of TOR, NYR has the biggest base of casual fans in the league.

These players always flame out of the league quickly. Just pisses me off that the NHL lets them do damage before they flame out.

Sdevils42

Nov 30, 2016
maybe im wrong but i dont see a coach coming in here and convincing these guys to become savage phsyical throw body check type players. they need to dig herb brooks up and have them skate into the night. at the least watch miracle.

For sure and you're not going to get Mercer, Jack, Nico, Jesper or any Dmen out side of Bahl and Smith to suddenly start playing a physical game nor do I want them to either. I would like a little more sandpaper throughout the lineup. Car exposed that last year a bit.
Losing McLeod was huge imo, character issues notwithstanding. They need to get bigger without sacrificing speed, not many players like that available. But they're an incredibly easy team to play against as it stands. Very casual, open hockey almost.

I'd like at least one or 2 guys ready and willing to defend against something that happened last night. Have seen Nico run numerous times with no retribution, no one is scared to play NJ. To be fair there was a game to win last night so maybe Green told them not to do anything crazy.

4/3, scratch the skill and bring up the plugs. I, like many of you here want retribution. Haven't seen anything as gutless as what that plug Rempe did last night in a long time.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
Jack Hughes is on pace for 99 points in 78 games right now with 62 in 49. 34g/65a/99 pts. So more assists than goals than last year but same point totals.

The only thing he's off on is his strength at keeping the puck on his stick. When healthy it's stuck there like it has double sided tape. Now it rolls off, often on its own. He's tried to force things, which is more of a desperation to remedy a bad situation than suddenly becoming bad at hockey IQ.

If you chalk it up to injury being the reason for the puck sliding off like the stick's buttered, hoo boy. Scoring at the same pace in a down season with an injury means he's probably even better than we think he is...
I'm not at all against sitting him out at this point but, players want to play and I don't blame him. Two years ago they shut him down when the season was garbage. Watching Jack not at full strength isn't fun but, rather sad and frustrating instead.

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
Quasimodo gets 4 games!
Nice, 2 would have been to lenient, fck em

NEW YORK -- New York Rangers forward Matt Rempehas been suspended for four games, without pay, for elbowing New Jersey Devils defenseman Jonas Siegenthaler during NHL Game No. 1028 in New York on Monday, March 11, the National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 19:25 of the second period. Rempe was assessed a major penalty and game misconduct for elbowing.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and, based on his average annual salary, Rempe will forfeit $17,083.32. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

Camille the Eel

Yeah that was the hardest game to watch last night. No positives except Kahkonen who the organization has made clear has no future here.

It wasn't a blowout loss and they could have won but even some blowout losses don't sting as much as that game did. Still kind of mad about it. The team is a mess right now. It really does make me wonder if ownership is going to be comfortable with Fitz's performance after another 20 games of this.
The season really went south during the last 5 minutes of our first Rangers game this year, when we outplayed them and blew a 2 goal lead in the third period to lose the game on a tying goal with 5 minutes left and then their winning goal with less than 2 minutes left when the Rags jumped over the boards on a bad change by us to go ahead on a tap in by Vesey off that rush. It was a breakout pass by either Fox or Shesterkin maybe.

Looking back on this miserable season, the last few minutes of that Rangers game, and not even getting a point out of it, after having a 2 goal lead in the 3d, was the moment that the 3 alarm fire bell really started going off for me. That now feels like the moment I felt we had hit the iceberg below the water line.

(And we who freaked out were called “doomers” and told not to be so negative. lol).

Reactions: Dylan9z9

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
It was hard to go back to being bad after 2017-18, but that was a relatively short turnaround based on a trade acquisition. It was easier to accept than this. Honestly the worst I’ve ever felt as a Devils fan.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
The season really went south during the last 5 minutes of our first Rangers game this year, when we outplayed them and blew a 2 goal lead in the third period to lose the game on a tying goal with 5 minutes left and then their winning goal with less than 2 minutes left when the Rags jumped over the boards on a bad change by us to go ahead on a tap in by Vesey off that rush. It was a breakout pass by either Fox or Shesterkin maybe.

Looking back on this miserable season, the last few minutes of that Rangers game, and not even getting a point out of it, after having a 2 goal lead in the 3d, was the moment that the 3 alarm fire bell really started going off for me. That now feels like the moment I felt we had hit the iceberg below the water line.

(And we who freaked out were called “doomers” and told not to be so negative. lol).
My alarm bell went off a little after that game, when NJ lost 0-4 to Detroit on Nov 22. That was when I first thought, omg this team might actually miss the playoffs. I held onto the goalie scapegoat for a while even if I thought there were some deeper issues and it really wasn't until the post stadium series collapse when I realized this team had some big issues beyond goaltending.

They are almost too numerous, but basically I'd say:
  • Bottom 6
  • Left side of D
  • Goaltending
are all suspect now. The best version of this team gets Palat and Haula into the bottom 6 so that means maybe even the top 6 is suspect. I'm not a doomer but the overly optimistic take just seems based on the fact that we have elite young talent, with good to great contracts.

That is a huge plus but it's gotta become a winning hockey team next year, just being talented isn't enough.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I hope it is a full scale Donnybroke. Sit Nico and the Hughes bros too. Bring in some former Danbury Trashers!:laugh:
Nothing is likely to happen. Maybe MacDermid fights Rempe but more than likely they exchange a few blows and tackle each other to the ice. Retribution NHL style doesn't really involve retribution just that you fight once. Again, fighting is useless. My sociopath strategy solves that problem and would ultimately make the game safer even if a few Rangers have to get CTE for the league to finally wake up. That's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The Rangers are borderline stupid if they play any stars or start Shesterkin in the April game, that game is going to be the worst Devils Rangers game we'll ever see

The Rangers had a game like that before, the infamous Wilson/Panarin game was the 1st of a back to back. It can’t be any more ridiculous than that tire fire.

The 1st game
IMG_5038.jpeg

The response
IMG_5039.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: mdj12784

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Nothing is likely to happen. Maybe MacDermid fights Rempe but more than likely they exchange a few blows and tackle each other to the ice. Retribution NHL style doesn't really involve retribution just that you fight once. Again, fighting is useless. My sociopath strategy solves that problem and would ultimately make the game safer even if a few Rangers have to get CTE for the league to finally wake up. That's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

I'm all in.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
The Rangers are borderline stupid if they play any stars or start Shesterkin in the April game, that game is going to be the worst Devils Rangers game we'll ever see
MacDermid will show up, but we just don’t have the horses for that game. Meier can play heavy, Bahl should play like it more, but other than that…? I do like when Haula is in pest mode, though lol.

Reactions: mdj12784

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
MacDermid will show up, but we just don’t have the horses for that game. Meier can play heavy, Bahl should play like it more, but other than that…? I do like when Haula is in pest mode, though lol.

I mean in terms of them seething blood and actually going after Rangers players, I actually would take their top guys + play Quick if I were them. I'd also go without Rempe. Why would you even entertain the chance that the Devils take out a superstar with all that happens 2 weeks before the playoffs? if the situation was reversed and say it was us, I'd take out all our guys and probably eat the fines from the league that come from it. Not worth a shitty ass April game to lose your Cup chances on

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I mean in terms of them seething blood and actually going after Rangers players, I actually would take their top guys + play Quick if I were them. I'd also go without Rempe. Why would you even entertain the chance that the Devils take out a superstar with all that happens 2 weeks before the playoffs? if the situation was reversed and say it was us, I'd take out all our guys and probably eat the fines from the league that come from it. Not worth a shitty ass April game to lose your Cup chances on
I agree if the situation was reversed because other teams are willing to go there as a team. Hischier completely incidentally was involved with Barkov on a faceoff and they spent multiple games going after him. You expect from Florida and they have the roster to do it.

Us? Our players will not do that. Who would you peg for it beyond MacDermid? There just isn’t that element in our roster and that’s why we get pushed around and brutalized over and over.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I agree if the situation was reversed because other teams are willing to go there as a team. Hischier completely incidentally was involved with Barkov on a faceoff and they spent multiple games going after him. You expect from Florida and they have the roster to do it.

Us? Our players will not do that. Who would you peg for it beyond MacDermid? There just isn’t that element in our roster and that’s why we get pushed around and brutalized over and over.

I agree and disagree, we get pushed for it because we don't capitalize on power plays and stuff alike that. Why wouldn't teams take runs at us if we don't make them pay? If the Devils scored 3-4 back in February on the Bastian one then there's no shot that Rempe even plays after that ever again. Our inability to make teams pay for their stupid shit is what costs us more than our inability to actually retaliate with physicality imo. What did MacDermid do last night? Guy got caved in 5-0 SA's, you need to play hockey as well as play that physical role. As much of as turd Rempe is, he was the reason they scored the second goal with his screen. Plays and things like that are needed, not the random boarding or elbow a guy's face off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad