Nintendo Switch: Smashy Smashy

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Might have reached my limit for Breath of the Wild at about 180 hours for a first playthrough. Probably will be picking up Super Mario Odyssey this weekend and then come back to this for the Master Quest at some point down the road.

Or I'll change my mind and just wander around for a few dozen more hours on a whim.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Looking for some advice: I'm getting the Switch on Sunday from the family and Zelda and Mario from my girlfriend. Which do I start with? Both are considered great games. Zelda the "better" but Mario is shorter. My issue is that I'm 31 with a full time job so gaming time is hard to arrange and Mario is the shorter of the 2 so I'm torn if I start with that and finish it then start a marathon Zelda play through that'll probably take me to the summer or if I start with Zelda and use Mario occasionally as breaks from Zelda.

Life is so hard sometimes haha.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Personally, I would probably start with Mario if your intention is to play one through before the other. If you'll mix and use Mario as a breather from Zelda, defo start Zelda first.

I have never enjoyed a Zelda game (sorry!) but this game is spectacular.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Well, I haven't had a console since the N64 (been all PC gaming), but bought this for my kid for X-Mas, along with Super Mario Oddessy, Mario Cart8, and Zelda. I opened it up and played to make sure it was good for appropriate for a 6 year old (or that is what I tell myself - and I will package it back up and tell him Santa wanted to play for a bit during his travels), and I must say I am having fun - yes, I am a horrible parent for doing that I suppose. Although, the controller certainly takes some getting used to though.

Zelda will be too hard for a 6-year-old, just too much reading for someone in grade 1, Mario Oddessy will be tricky but he will have fun just jumping around I am sure, but I think Mario Cart8 is where he will get the most enjoyment at that age. Will find out in a couple days.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Well I guess I complained about the Joycons within earshot of the right people and got a pro controller for Christmas.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Yeah, Zelda was a hit, as frustating as it is for me to watch, he has lots of fun just 'killing enemies' and climbing around.

Although --- I am having a problems getting two controllers to work on MarioCart. I can get one, and it says press the buttons to get the other one to work but i cant figure it out. I am sure it is just me (or maybe a 6-year-old in my ear saying just play something different) but I just cant get it to work. Should be more simple for an old man...

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The missus got me Super Mario Odyssey for Christmas, and been having a blast with it so far. The controls aren't as fine-tuned as I'd like them, but I am playing with the pro controller while the game seems to be more optimized with the Joy Cons, but I'm getting more used to it. Pretty damn fun a couple hours in.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So I got a switch for Christmas and I'm super excited. I got Zelda and Splatoon to start off with. I'm eventually going to pick up Stardew and Golf Story from the eShop, so I was wondering how likely they are to go on sale and when? I mean if I'm gonna have to wait 6 months for it I might as well just get them now, but if eShop indie games go on sale every few weeks or so I'd wait.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Nintendo seldom puts anything on sale and when they do it'll probably end up saving you like $3.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Ya indies go on sale regularly. It is only first party Nintendo stuff that never goes on sale.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
The missus got me Super Mario Odyssey for Christmas, and been having a blast with it so far. The controls aren't as fine-tuned as I'd like them, but I am playing with the pro controller while the game seems to be more optimized with the Joy Cons, but I'm getting more used to it. Pretty damn fun a couple hours in.

I found that to gain the same effect that shaking the joycons would do (higher jump, etc.), just press the Y button as well. You don’t really need to have the joycons detached for anything.

I’m at Bowser’s stage, and I have to say, looking back, each world’s Control-a-creature gimmick is incredibly fun. Play Control is polished to a tee, and just requires a few deaths worth of experimentation to get it figured out. It’s not nearly as sadistic in difficulty as previous Mario console games.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Three simple reasons for that:

1) It was a Wii with a tablet. Okay.... not sure if that really deserved a new console, but okay.
2) The name was dumb. WiiU sounds like a peripheral for the Wii, not a whole new console.
3) No freaking exclusive mainline Zelda game in the early life of the system. The Switch is innovative and fun and all, but there can be no denying that Breath of the Wild at launch was a humongous selling point, even knowing that there was a WiiU version available.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Wii U was dead on arrival.

It didn't get a legit AAA, console pushing title until a full year after release when Super Mario 3D World came out. The system spent 12 full months on the market with nothing more than 2D Mario, 2D Donkey Kong, and Pikmin.

Nintendo sent it out to die. They confirmed they had given up on it when they launched Smash Bros on 3DS two months before Wii U.

I suppose it was useful because it got us the Switch, but it was a garbage console with no redeeming qualities in and of itself.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Three simple reasons for that:

1) It was a Wii with a tablet. Okay.... not sure if that really deserved a new console, but okay.
2) The name was dumb. WiiU sounds like a peripheral for the Wii, not a whole new console.
3) No freaking exclusive mainline Zelda game in the early life of the system. The Switch is innovative and fun and all, but there can be no denying that Breath of the Wild at launch was a humongous selling point, even knowing that there was a WiiU version available.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Wii U was dead on arrival.

It didn't get a legit AAA, console pushing title until a full year after release when Super Mario 3D World came out. The system spent 12 full months on the market with nothing more than 2D Mario, 2D Donkey Kong, and Pikmin.

Nintendo sent it out to die. They confirmed they had given up on it when they launched Smash Bros on 3DS two months before Wii U.

I suppose it was useful because it got us the Switch, but it was a garbage console with no redeeming qualities in and of itself.
If I remember right, the Wii U actually did alright its first year, it outsold the Xbox. It just fell off a cliff after that and rightfully so, their first party titles were being delayed into eternity and they had barely any 3rd party stuff. That and how similar it was to the wii physically, some of the later buyers probably got confused.

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
This is completely random but does anyone think the Fatal Frame series has a future? It seems like it would work well with the Switch’s motion control stuff.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I haven't had a Nintendo system since the N64. I'm very tempted for basically just Mario, Mario Kart and Zelda. But I'm not sure I'm going to get enough play out of the system to justify the cost for the system and those three games.

What are peoples thoughts on the long term play ability of the system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad