Nintendo Switch: Smashy Smashy

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Skyrim has never grabbed your attention because it's a mediocre game, and I say this as somebody who has put 50+ hours in the game. Its just alright. People put it on some kind of pedestal for no real reason. I beat all the main questlines and they all follow the same basic pattern. You join a guild, and with 3 quests you become the chosen one and complete a few quests to become head of the guild. Then there's the civil war questline which was bizarrely short, then the main quest which was alright.

If you've played witcher 3 and liked it (I thought it was good but really weak combat and level scaling hurt my enjoyment) you'll like this too, though witcher 3 I consider much better.
You are more than entitled to your own opinion but saying the game is mediocre or saying people put it on a pedestal "for some reason" just isn't a good argument for the general consensus of the game. Which is that it is a fantastic game as far as the general public is concerned.

They are milking it dry though and I think that's souring a lot of people. The game is nothing like the Witcher games. Its one of the first single player games set in a fantasy world with a HUGE open world.

Skyrim is over 6 years old now. Between that and the fact that they keep coming out with different versions, all the marketing lately - I can see how that annoy's some people. But it's a fantastic game that scored a 94 on PC and in the mid 80's on console according to Metacritic.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Skyrim has never grabbed your attention because it's a mediocre game, and I say this as somebody who has put 50+ hours in the game. Its just alright. People put it on some kind of pedestal for no real reason. I beat all the main questlines and they all follow the same basic pattern. You join a guild, and with 3 quests you become the chosen one and complete a few quests to become head of the guild. Then there's the civil war questline which was bizarrely short, then the main quest which was alright.

If you've played witcher 3 and liked it (I thought it was good but really weak combat and level scaling hurt my enjoyment) you'll like this too, though witcher 3 I consider much better.

Maybe this is just it. I have a good friend who's put almost 2k hours into Skyrim. Still plays every day just about and always tells me how good it is. Then I see countless reviews of remastered and re-released ports and they heap praise on it.

I get in and I'm just like...OK. I searched this cave. I'm cool for a week.

I may just have a problem with super open world games like that, because I don't really enjoy the Fallout series either.

Edit: I picked up XC2. It's very hand holdy so far, but I'm 3 hours in or so and enjoying it. Screatches my JRPG itch pretty well. I just wish they'd port Persona 5 over to Switch. I'd never put it down.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
You are more than entitled to your own opinion but saying the game is mediocre or saying people put it on a pedestal "for some reason" just isn't a good argument for the general consensus of the game. Which is that it is a fantastic game as far as the general public is concerned.

They are milking it dry though and I think that's souring a lot of people. The game is nothing like the Witcher games. Its one of the first single player games set in a fantasy world with a HUGE open world.

Skyrim is over 6 years old now. Between that and the fact that they keep coming out with different versions, all the marketing lately - I can see how that annoy's some people. But it's a fantastic game that scored a 94 on PC and in the mid 80's on console according to Metacritic.

Not only is Bethesda milking it dry, every developer in the world is. It was a special game in its time: fresh and engaging. Unfortunately, now so many games try to copy it (many of them poorly) that it seems old and tired by comparison.

That, and the fact that it's been re-released a billion times.

Last edited:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Not only is Bethesda milking it dry, every developer in the world is. It was a special game in its time: fresh and engaging. Unfortunately, now so many games try to copy it (many of them poorly) that it seems old and tired by comparison.

That, and the fact that it's been re-released a billion times.
And I personally liked Oblivion much more. Back when Morrowind was the bees-knees it was more of a cult thing.

Fallout soon took on the Elder Scrolls formula and given the popularity of both it's ALMOST the same game but ones post 1950's apocalypse and one is fantasy.

It took a while for people to catch on to these games but since they have it's just marketing and re-releases. Old and tired indeed.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

It didn't annoy me, I played it, I liked it. It was alright.

Like I said, the cookie cutter dungeons and quests, the fact that it had like 3 voice actors, a handful and 3 sets of armor in the whole game, it's just alright. This is only barely hindsight as I played it in 2013. 2 years after it came out. Just the right amount of time to be not caught in the hype.

Even at the time the dungeons annoyed me. There was nothing in them. You might find a unique item but they weren't even that good and they looked just like regular items other than the name. All the items you find in regular dungeon crawling are useless outside of dragon priest masks.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
It didn't annoy me, I played it, I liked it. It was alright.

Like I said, the cookie cutter dungeons and quests, the fact that it had like 3 voice actors, a handful and 3 sets of armor in the whole game, it's just alright. This is only barely hindsight as I played it in 2013. 2 years after it came out. Just the right amount of time to be not caught in the hype.

Even at the time the dungeons annoyed me. There was nothing in them. You might find a unique item but they weren't even that good and they looked just like regular items other than the name. All the items you find in regular dungeon crawling are useless outside of dragon priest masks.
I think their formula is just old and tired like said before. Again the game is 6 years old. When Oblivion came out it was revolutionary. Morrowind was considered one of the best of the series. The formula worked. It's just not working today.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Like I said, I played it when it was only a few years old, I considered it an okay game. Speaking of morrowind, I played it on Xbox in 05, thought it was awful.

Formula isn't necessarily my problem. Witcher 3 followed the same basic formula and I liked it a lot. It had much more variety in quests, better writing, more interesting characters, it suffered from some of the same problems like reskinning enemies and some repeating voice actors but the key stuff they nailed.

Last edited:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Like I said, I played it when it was only a few years old, I considered it an okay game. Speaking of morrowind, I played it on Xbox in 05, thought it was awful.

Formula isn't necessarily my problem. Witcher 3 followed the same basic formula and I liked it a lot. It had much more variety in quests, better writing, more interesting characters, it suffered from some of the same problems like reskinning enemies and some repeating voice actors but the key stuff they nailed.
That's why I don't think people should compare the Witcher games to the Elder Scrolls games. They play completely differently. Elder Scrolls have never been about story and character. They have been about exploration and leveling up. Witcher, you could spend 45 minutes in an interactive cutscene. It's a completely different game and I disagree that it's even remotely close to the same formula as the Elder Scrolls. ES games have been around for a LOOOONG time. Much longer than Witcher games.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah with Elder Scroll games if you can shut you're mind off and just aimlessly wander they can be great, especially when you can mod the hell out of the game to adjust it to your preferences and add more content. But if you're looking for a deeper story, keep focused on nothing but the main story quest line, or just in general go looking to see what's behind the curtain, it can fall flat.

The key is though these big open world games are very hard to make and up to Skyrim Bethesda was by far the best in the business. No one else was really able to combine interesting story+characters and a huge open world in one package... at least up until The Witcher 3 from what I understand. Haven't played it yet as I'd need a PC upgrade to do so. Basically though I'd say Skyrim you can excuse the flaws but Bethesda really needs to step their game up for the next one.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
See: AC Origins. You had people complaining that each game was the exact same, and to an extent, they were right. Just a different setting (I still thoroughly enjoyed all of them except 3 though).
Ubisoft took a year off, and Origins is a HUGE upgrade from previous games (disregard story and setting/characters, those are mostly personal preference).

Bethesda needs to do that.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I just wanna say how much I love the Switch. I've been very critical of Nintendo in the past (still am, truthfully) over what *I* see as absolutely tone deaf decisions when it comes to design and implementation, but this thing is great. If they can keep getting the support they've received so far from developers and continue to embrace indie games, I'm super excited for the future.

It's like a Vita being made by a company that actually cares about a really nice piece of hardware.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I am in love with FE: Warriors. It's what Hyrule Warriors should have been. (there as some aspects about HW i wish FE had but for the most part this trumps all).. i am so addicted to this game right now.

on a pathetic note - Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are 100 dollars each and I am actually contemplating that's 'affordable' enough i am hoping that Nintendo does do some kind of remake though).

also wondering when there will be news on 2018 games
ie: octopath. that game is so gonna be amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Im shocked it went on sale so quickly. Has it even been out a month now?

I was explicitly waiting for it to go on sale and but I didn't expect to get it so soon.

Unlocked the Samus ship pretty quick. I'll almost certainly buy the Batmobile and Delorean in short order.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
is it like mario kart?

lol....no

The most basic description is absolutely the most accurate. Its soccer with cars. Nothing more, nothing less.

IMO its a tremendous 3 on 3 arcade game...the kinda thing we don't get nearly enough of anymore. For me this game fills the void left by NBA Jam, NHL Hitz, those sorta games.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
is it like mario kart?
Not at all. Its Soccer, hockey and a few other game modes (Soccer is the most popular) with very highly customizable cars. The cars are only visually customizable so everyone basically plays with cars that have the same exact speed, traction and hit boxes.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
lol....no

The most basic description is absolutely the most accurate. Its soccer with cars. Nothing more, nothing less.

IMO its a tremendous 3 on 3 arcade game...the kinda thing we don't get nearly enough of anymore. For me this game fills the void left by NBA Jam, NHL Hitz, those sorta games.

Not at all. Its Soccer, hockey and a few other game modes (Soccer is the most popular) with very highly customizable cars. The cars are only visually customizable so everyone basically plays with cars that have the same exact speed, traction and hit boxes.

thanks :) this one isn't for me. but that does sound interesting :)

Reactions: Pilky01

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
thanks :) this one isn't for me. but that does sound interesting :)
I will turn you to the dark side soon enough. Join me and together we can rule the galaxy as... um... two internet forum posters!

Plus, we have cookies!

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
lol....no

It's a really fun game worthy of those old school arcade games. Just a ton of fun.

Unfortunately my hatred of online multiplayer capped my enjoyment with that game at about 20 hours back when it first came out on PS4, but I'll still recommend it to anyone just because of how much fun can be had out of such a silly combination of things (soccer with RV cars...who knew).

Reactions: Pilky01

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I will turn you to the dark side soon enough. Join me and together we can rule the galaxy as... um... two internet forum posters!

Plus, we have cookies!

:laugh: that play video games muahauhauahaaaa.
i am always a sucker for cookies. (the real kind, not the internet kind).

well the games i want to buy
3DS: Fire Emblem Fates (Birthright, Conquest and Revelations). I don't like sucking up space, so i want the individual cartridges). as well as FE: Echos. (i am so obssessed with this franchise). plus the gazillion games i'm already behind

Switch: FE Switch. Octopath Traveler, Yoshi, Kirby. (and I am saving up for Mario Kart).

+ i want to get the switch virtual console (and i am contemplating if i want to buy things from my wiiu portal before they cancel support) and if the Eshop on my Wii will ever connect i can buy mario party before that goes extinct. (but maybe the switch VC will really make that not necessary who knows).

oh and I THINK Xenoblade 1+2

lol so this Rocket League is at the bottom of the list ;) even with promises of cookies.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
:laugh: that play video games muahauhauahaaaa.
i am always a sucker for cookies. (the real kind, not the internet kind).

well the games i want to buy
3DS: Fire Emblem Fates (Birthright, Conquest and Revelations). I don't like sucking up space, so i want the individual cartridges). as well as FE: Echos. (i am so obssessed with this franchise). plus the gazillion games i'm already behind

Switch: FE Switch. Octopath Traveler, Yoshi, Kirby. (and I am saving up for Mario Kart).

+ i want to get the switch virtual console (and i am contemplating if i want to buy things from my wiiu portal before they cancel support) and if the Eshop on my Wii will ever connect i can buy mario party before that goes extinct. (but maybe the switch VC will really make that not necessary who knows).

oh and I THINK Xenoblade 1+2

lol so this Rocket League is at the bottom of the list ;) even with promises of cookies.
This is very sad news! I was almost postive the cookies would have sealed the deal! :laugh:
I need a doubles partner for the Switch lol. But at least you will be getting Mario Kart. That one is fantastic. I still need to get FE:Warriors. Like you though, I am backlogged.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
It's a really fun game worthy of those old school arcade games. Just a ton of fun.

Unfortunately my hatred of online multiplayer capped my enjoyment with that game at about 20 hours back when it first came out on PS4, but I'll still recommend it to anyone just because of how much fun can be had out of such a silly combination of things (soccer with RV cars...who knew).

Ya, knowing that I'll probably never be able to get into the online play in any serious manner because of how expert the community is is kind of a bummer, but i do still enjoy just playing seasons against the CPU.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Ya, knowing that I'll probably never be able to get into the online play in any serious manner because of how expert the community is is kind of a bummer, but i do still enjoy just playing seasons against the CPU.

The Switch seems like a good opportunity to get into online play, no? There can't be that many tryhards on the Switch lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad