Nintendo Switch: Smashy Smashy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I can't bring myself to buy Arms at $60 when I could just go pick up Horizon for $40 brand new right now.

If Mario Odyssey, XCOMario and Xenoblade end up being half as good as they look right now the Switch could probably mail it in for a few years and I'd still consider it a good buy.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Dammit, that XCOMario game looks like it will be a ton of fun. There is no way I can justify getting the Switch just for one game though :(

edit - ugh maybe the Zelda game too...so 2 games...still quite the purchase :( Haven't had a ninendo since the Cube and i didnt like it.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a perfect game.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I've played with both the joycons and pro controller layout and it's just too foreign as of right now

Only problem I had with it, which is a big problem, is with the auto-targeting. I found myself either facing the wrong person or just facing nothing in particular.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
By the way I really liked the uk voice actors in the xenoblade trailer, but I heard a lot of bashing of it, thoughts?

Also, finally bit the bullet and got Fire Emblem Awakening for $32 counting shipping. Got it new which is nice

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The main character's english voice in Xenoblade 2 is jarring because it's an accent that isn't usually used for protagonists.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The hell is XCOMario?

Mario+Rabids Kingdom Battle is a straight-up XCOM clone with Mario & Rabbids characters.

Never in a million years did I think I'd play a game starring the friggin' Rabbids, but they figured out a way to get me very interested :laugh:

That coupled with Odyssey will likely be enough to sell me on the Switch.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Dammit, that XCOMario game looks like it will be a ton of fun. There is no way I can justify getting the Switch just for one game though :(

edit - ugh maybe the Zelda game too...so 2 games...still quite the purchase :( Haven't had a ninendo since the Cube and i didnt like it.

If you're not liking quality first party games in GOTY Zelda, The best Mario Kart game to date in MK8DX, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey who looks like it will compete with Zelda for Goty and then more niche games like Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, topped of with unique games like Arms and Mario+Rabbids and ofc the pletora of great indie titles. Then you should probably just skip the system, looks like it's not for you. Or wait until there's games that tickle you.

It's a great year for fans of Nintendo IP though :>

T

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
To be fair, warriors games are not for everybody, but I agree the switch has had a great first year.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Anybody get ARMS?

I kinda get the feeling this isn't going to duplicate Splatoon's widespread success, despite the overall positive critical reception.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Anybody get ARMS?

I kinda get the feeling this isn't going to duplicate Splatoon's widespread success, despite the overall positive critical reception.

Still seems gimmick-y to me. I know it's getting all this great acclaim but I just can't bring myself to buy another motion-based game. I got the switch mostly for Zelda, MK8 and new Mario.

Yoshi, Kirby and ZOMG Metroid!!!! great E3 and glad I have my switch. I don't mind new IP's but Nintendo seems to have such a hard time making new IP's that don't have some crazy new control scheme or some odd gameplay that's not conventional. Their stuff that works and has always worked (Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong.... etc.) is what sells the systems. They need NEW IP's that have 'sit on the couch and play some fun games' mentality. Mario + Rabbids is a great example. It's a new type of game that doesn't have some wonky controls. However it's characters we are familiar with. Which I am OK with in this case.

Just my 2 cents.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I remember having a blast playing Splatoon, but after like 3 weeks I put it down and haven't touched it since. I should start playing again.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I remember having a blast playing Splatoon, but after like 3 weeks I put it down and haven't touched it since. I should start playing again.

I got crazy addicted to it for a good couple months.

Problem with Splatoon 1 was it always felt like a beta; it was a great idea and mechanic for a game, they just never actually built the game around that rock solid framework. I am really excited to see how much they expand on the world.

It will be funny if in 15 or 20 years Splatoon proves itself to be a lasting brand and we will look back on the original game as basically just an overblown multiplayer demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad