Nintendo Switch: Smashy Smashy

Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Prime 4 is not being developed by Retro Studios, which is a huge bummer. It's going to be a brand new development team which IMO is VERY risky for a dead franchise they're trying to resurrect. Hopefully it works out.

Speaking of which, Retro hasn't made a game since DK Tropical Freeze even though they've apparently been working on one since 2014.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
The team at Retro that developed MP1-3 doesn't even exist anymore. Everyone's moved on. It's been 10 years since Corruption :laugh:

Listen, this game cannot be worse than Other M.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Prime 4 is not being developed by Retro Studios, which is a huge bummer. It's going to be a brand new development team which IMO is VERY risky for a dead franchise they're trying to resurrect. Hopefully it works out.

Speaking of which, Retro hasn't made a game since DK Tropical Freeze even though they've apparently been working on one since 2014.

It'll be fine.

I adored Metroid Prime but the second and third were quite the step down. Time for some new blood.

We still have no idea what Retro has been working on since Tropical Freeze. Looking forward to it for sure!

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah most of the Prime staff are long gone.

Just be noted that no one knew who Retro even was when Prime came out and everyone thought it wasn't going to work.

I trust Nintendo to be able to make it work again with a new team. I am not holding my breath for 2018 though.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The early impressions on the Metroid 2 remake are positive as well.

Looks like it is doing well with preorders as well, so hopefully this and Prime selling well means more Metroid.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Do not talk **** about MP2 like that

If anything it's underrated.

I had a good time with it but got 100% completion on my first run without a guide and the whole "you get hurt by the atmosphere in the dark world" was pretty annoying.

It's nowhere near as good as the first Prime. Still good though.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I actually really enjoyed Prime 3. Proper voice acting, side characters I cared about, a flawless control scheme. It was a blast to play. The Pirate Homeworld and Elysium were beautiful worlds. Upgrading the ship and using it to solve puzzles was a great idea too.

Prime 1 was a masterpiece. Prime 2 was good but I don't remember being wowed by it. I do remember getting very annoyed with the difficulty so that may have something to do with it :laugh:

Retro is one of my favorite studios and IMO they haven't made a bad game ever. I really want to know what they're working on. I get that a lot of people have moved on but it's still interesting to think about. I'm guessing it was a Wii U project before Nintendo pulled the plug.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I love the idea of the Metroid Prime games, but don't think I ever played more than a couple hours of Prime 1. I hate retreading old ground and scanning **** over and over again with different visors.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I didn't even realize this metroid game was a Metroid 2 remake. Thats pretty funny. I'm guessing the development really picked up after AM2R.

And I'll be honest, AM2R looks much better than this graphically. I can't speak to the gameplay since I haven't played it, but this development studio hasn't exactly made any classics regardless so its hard to be super hyped.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
I love the idea of the Metroid Prime games, but don't think I ever played more than a couple hours of Prime 1. I hate retreading old ground and scanning **** over and over again with different visors.

yeah that's one of the downfalls of especially Prime 2 where the scanning got even more annoying

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
My greatest memory of Metroid Prime is playing the into sequence demo kisok at my local Zellers before the game was actually released.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I'd think you have to play more than a couple hours to get to that point?

But regardless yeah this is a crucial element to the Metroid series, but one that doesn't work for everyone. Halo is more crowd pleasing where you go from the start of the level to the end shooting bad guys and never go back, but in Metroid the games levels are all interconnected. To move forward you often have to move back, and you're rewarded for exploring all the nooks and crannies. Critics will call this a flaw, but it's actually a design feature (Skyward Sword had it too) and pretty tough to do well. It's probably much easier to throw out a bunch of start-finish levels than it is to design a single big interconnected map.

And of course starting with the Prime series an optional lore & story element was added in using the visor scanner. Prime was exceptional in this as it gave you a mix of the ancient lore, a backstory for the pirates, and their reaction and increasing alarm to your infiltration.

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
It took me a couple tries but once I got into it, absolutely loved Prime 1. I liked Echoes but not nearly as much. Despite the linearity, I really enjoyed prime 3 (may replay it in fact). Prime 4, unless they screw it up royally, is an instant buy.

Didn't care for splatoon or arms.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Starting to wonder if ARMS might be a commercial flop. Doesn't seem like anybody here bought it.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden

Metroid Prime development was a risky move. Retro Studios had exactly zero games under their belt and 4 cancelled ones. And look what happened there :yo:

I am not worried the slightest.

Isn't Retro working on 2 titles?

There was a rumor saying that, but there's been no talk what so ever. I am extremely interested in what they are doing. Tropical Freeze development was done in late 2013 so thats soon 4 years of not knowing what they are up to.

Starting to wonder if ARMS might be a commercial flop. Doesn't seem like anybody here bought it.

Really depends on what you mean with commercial frlop, It had a great start in Japan with 100k in 3 days. I think it's a slamdunk to hit 1 million units and more likely 1,5-2M lifetime worldwide.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Arms for $60 is just ridiculous.

Theres been a lot of really bad pricing on the switch with bomberman, street fighter, and 1-2 switch.

I'm not sure if ARMS is one of them I've have to know more about the single player but theres definitely been a lot of that.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Arms for $60 is just ridiculous.

Why is that? I mean, it has single player, it has online multiplayer, it has local multiplayer, it has replayability it has depth enough to get you to many hours of gameplay, tons of free content incoming and it's a new IP that hasnt really been done before. How is that not worthy of the price?

There has been some issues as mentioned with pricing though especially with the already mentioned USF2, Bomberman and 1-2 Switch. Those were very much overpriced. And it's really hard to argue otherwise, especially with SF and Bomberman.

With that said, the most ridiculous thing these days are entitled gamers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad