Speculation: Nineteen Teams w/ 25 Scouts at PHI-WAS game

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
I would be intrigued by both Laughton and Walker from a Canucks perspective.

Obviously there are cap things to be figured out but would be two really good additions to our lineup.

What are the flyers looking for? If it's wingers, the Canucks have got a few options.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021

Obviously there are cap things to be figured out but would be two really good additions to our lineup.

What are the flyers looking for? If it's wingers, the Canucks have got a few options.
Your wingers seem to be 27+ . Not a fit if its the case.
What names would be out there? You might be talking about prospects.

DollardStLaurent

May 15, 2014
Risto because of the contract (and he was overplayed this game)
Staal because he just sux and needs to be dumped
Seeler has had a decent year
Walker has played really well this year (last 3d are rentals)
Frost because Torts hates him and Cates will be back eventually
I would Laughton to go for a 1st/1st plus but I doubt it
Ersson played so not Hart
You have to be joking.

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
Your wingers seem to be 27+ . Not a fit if its the case.
What names would be out there? You might be talking about prospects.
Not sure if it's a good fit then. Think the Canucks would be more willing to move draft picks.

Would have to be roster player + draft pick(s) for it to work for the Canucks.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
You have to be joking.

The Flyers have supposedly been offered a 1st+ for Laughton twice (this past summer and, before that, as a rental at the deadline in 2021). He's GM crack: Plays all 3 forward positions, defensively smart, GRIT, not completely useless with the puck on his stick.

Problem is, he's not scoring this season and they have actual forward depth now, so he's been playing a lot on the 4th line. I think there's no chance anyone's giving up a 1st for him now. They missed their shot at that.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Haven't found a complete lists of who though but did find this -

GMs doing in-person scouting is a big deal on it's own, but the fact that it's Sweeney and Verbeek in particular is even more interesting to me. Ducks and Bruins have had a very good working relationship with those two at the helm, have made 3 separate trades with one another.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
The Flyers have supposedly been offered a 1st+ for Laughton twice in the past (this past summer and before that at the deadline in 2021). He's GM crack: Plays all 3 forward positions, defensively smart, GRIT, not completely useless with the puck on his stick.

Problem is, he's not scoring this season and they have actual forward depth now, so he's been playing on the 4th line and I think there's no chance anyone's giving up a 1st for him now. They missed their shot at that.

Laughton’s value isn’t and never has been in his scoring. If you’re trying to acquire him to put up points he’s the wrong guy. He’s the ultimate intangibles player - he’ll garner a late first fairly easily.

Age, flexibility, cheap contract, defense, leadership and grit - those alone will be enough for many GMs. If he’s all this and a 50+ point player he’ll be way more valuable than just a 1st. And wouldn’t be making $3M. In addition, for all all his ‘offensive struggles’ this year, he’s still on pace for 37 points vs 43 last year in a much larger role.

Doubt his value is all that different from the summer.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Not sure if it's a good fit then. Think the Canucks would be more willing to move draft picks.

Picks are fine. But you are down 2nds and 3rds already. How about that Brzu.. guy

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA

Flyers can take back cap, but picks and prospects, particularly at D or C would be ideal.

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Laughton’s value isn’t and never has been in his scoring. If you’re trying to acquire him to put up points he’s the wrong guy. He’s the ultimate intangibles player - he’ll garner a late first fairly easily.

Age, flexibility, cheap contract, defense, leadership and grit - those alone will be enough for many GMs. If he’s all this and a 50+ point player he’ll be way more valuable than just a 1st. And wouldn’t be making $3M. In addition, for all all his ‘offensive struggles’ this year, he’s still on pace for 37 points vs 43 last year in a much larger role.

Doubt his value is all that different from the summer.

He had 18 goals last year, he's on pace for 6 right now. I know, intangibles. But playing a lot of minutes with TK last year made him look like a viable scoring threat, which he is not.

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
GMs doing in-person scouting is a big deal on it's own, but the fact that it's Sweeney and Verbeek in particular is even more interesting to me. Ducks and Bruins have had a very good working relationship with those two at the helm, have made 3 separate trades with one another.

Sweeney and Verbeek both being there in person should point to who is available as the GM being there points to actual smoke more than a bunch of scouts. What is something those teams have in common for need?

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Sweeney and Verbeek both being there in person should point to who is available as the GM being there points to actual smoke more than a bunch of scouts. What is something those teams have in common for need?
Ana needs Zegras and Drysdale in lineup.

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia

Wingers are a horrible fit for the Flyers in a trade, unless you’re talking about potential star level prospects. We are stocked to the gills with wingers. Need centers and defensemen.

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Wingers are a horrible fit for the Flyers in a trade, unless you’re talking about potential star level prospects. We are stocked to the gills with wingers. Need centers and defensemen.

Well, RW at least. They have Konecny, Brink, Atkinson, Foerster, Tippett, and Hathaway all on the roster right now—all natural RWs. Guy named Michkov on the way. Farabee and Deslauriers are their only real LWs, though Laughton should be one too but they don't have any C depth, either, so they use him there.

Long story short...centers or defensemen or futures.

Reactions: BillDineen

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
He had 18 goals last year, he's on pace for 6 right now. I know, intangibles. But playing a lot of minutes with TK last year made him look like a viable scoring threat, which he is not.
but he is. you play him up the lineup, and he produces. how hard would it to be to give Laughton better linemates than he gets in Philly?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Did we ever find out who else was there and if any of them are regular attendees or were there for special scouting circumstances?

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad