Prospect Info: Nils Lundkvist: Part III

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Tbh it looks to me like Lundkvist loses his balance a half-step before the contact, but from the view its hard to tell

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia

I mean, he doesn't even try to play the body, he completely went for his leg/knee to me?

Arrghh! Nils just has to learn to dump it up the boards sometimes instead of always making the heady play. Hopefully he learns from this so he doesn't get injured in the future. If the other player was trying to hit him he would have been crushed. He needs to be watching the other player as well to keep himself from being hit badly. This injury could have been avoided if he chipped it up the boards and stood upright to absorb the hit on his upper body.

He was playing great too! First time I got to see him in a game and he did not disappoint. Even better than just highlights of him as it showed he has a great all around game that will translate well in the NHL I have ZERO doubts.

Reactions: GbgRanger

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
On the second GIF, it doesn't even look like he's trying to make contact. He seems to be looking directly at the puck the whole time.

Yep, he's looking down at the puck and he's actually just doing a hockey stop and reaching for the puck with his stick. Looks like he's prepping for contact but not really trying to initiate it.

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
I just dont see what your seeing, he doesnt "slip" until contact is made.

it is a terrible camera angle though, wish there was something else.

On initial look, I got the puck and skate confused. Thought he slipped but I think the other players stick may have hit him first? Like you said, the angle sucks but I don’t think the other players knee or butt was the first thing to hit. Can’t tell positively from that initial clip

Anyone see a different angle?

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Sure, but you can clearly see the brunt of the impact, on contact, was his leg/thigh.

The hip of the opposition is his point of contact, so there is absolutely nothing dirty about the hit. The point of contact for Lundqvist appears to be where the hip meets the upper thigh. In any case, it's not even close to a dirty hit.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Fair enough, dirty wasn't the right word, still reckless IMO.

If roles were reversed and it was Lundkvist trying to lay what wound up to be a missed hip check you'd (appropriately) defend him to no end. This hit wasn't dirty, reckless, or otherwise penalty-worthy. Just an unlucky for Nils and maybe a bit of clumsy, that's all.

Last edited:

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Nils landed awkwardly, I'm guessing that's where the damage was done not the hit itself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad