Player Discussion: Nikolaj Ehlers Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Nylander has 3g 3a on the PP, and he plays both 5v5 and PP with Matthews.

Ehler has bounced around linemates so far and played with guys like Stafford, and while I love frenchy, Matthews >>.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Thought Chef and Wheels looked faster today after getting Ehlers up there. It's like he kickstarts any skilled player they put him with. Connor has looked like he is using his extra step ever since their first game as well.

But then again I could also just be seeing what I want to see :laugh:

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
I'm still saying Ehlers looks better this year, just miss playing with Scheif, while I understand it, it would be nice to see him on a line with Scheif and Laine

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
I would say Ehlers not putting up points has to due with how awful MP has been. He's a turnover machine

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm still saying Ehlers looks better this year, just miss playing with Scheif, while I understand it, it would be nice to see him on a line with Scheif and Laine

Agreed. Love to see Laine-Scheif-Ehlers for a while. With a little time I think they would start piling up the points.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
Nice to see Ehlers with a goal in one game and 8 SoG in the next. He had an interview after the Buffalo game were he said he feels better now and is finding his form. He implied that he didnt think he was playing well before the last two games. That could explain the issue I had with him as I have mentioned earlier in this thread. Good to see him finding his groove.

12 SoG in the last two games iirc. That is almost as many as the rest of the games combined.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
funny because I thought Ehlers was probably one of the best forwards this year...

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
What do you think the biggest holes in Ehlers game are? Sometimes he looks like he should be a superstar in the league and other times he just looks meh. Now I am aware that every player will have bad games but I am wondering what people think he needs to improve on the most in order to reach his full potential?

Strength is the first that comes to mind but that's pretty obvious and will take time. In my optics and I could very well be wrong I think he has quite a bit work work to do with his positioning when he doesn't have the puck in the OZ.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What do you think the biggest holes in Ehlers game are? Sometimes he looks like he should be a superstar in the league and other times he just looks meh. Now I am aware that every player will have bad games but I am wondering what people think he needs to improve on the most in order to reach his full potential?

Strength is the first that comes to mind but that's pretty obvious and will take time. In my optics and I could very well be wrong I think he has quite a bit work work to do with his positioning when he doesn't have the puck in the OZ.

Good question. I think at times he over thinks things when he has the puck which leads to some wonky play choices. Strength plays a role in positioning to some extent as its harder for him to fight for ice. I think it's just he's young and his game has some maturation to do in a number of areas.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Ehlers is starting to remind me of another Jet.

Amazing on-ice vision and startling creativity (think of those strange head-first dives to keep the puck in the zone)...

Using his speed to back opponents off...

Having the wherewithal to actually take the puck around the back of the net and find an open man on the other side...

Tons of penalties...

Hey, maybe Ehlers will play an All Star game some day, too!

funny because I thought Ehlers was probably one of the best forwards this year...

Agreed. No complaints.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I''m tired of seeing him turn away from the slot and curl back to the blue line after he gains the zone. It takes a bit of courage but there's a very simple fix to that bad habit.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Ehlers, needs to start adding some pts, or all this good play wont matter. he needs to be able to find ways to contribueonnthe scoresheet. if he continues like this, no way he beats his 38pts from last season.

Both Marner and Nylander seem to find ways, on imo a worse overall team.

Indeed a sophmore slump this season so far.

Coach G

Oct 1, 2015
In the corners
I''m tired of seeing him turn away from the slot and curl back to the blue line after he gains the zone. It takes a bit of courage but there's a very simple fix to that bad habit.

I actually think that this is a very good play, and wish that more players would use it. As a coach, I stress zone entries with my players:
1. Drive wide. If you get a step on the defender, keep going.
2. DO NOT try to cut to the middle. You may pull off a sweet dangle 1 time out of ten, but the other 9 times you turn the puck over in a dangerous area, allowing the opposition to counterattack.
3. If you don't get a step, protect the puck on the board side, slow down to create some space, and
a) put the puck toward the net for F2, or​
b) drop for the trailer (F3), or, (if you have the skill)​
c) spin, like we've seen Ehlers do.​
All three of these options maintain possession FAR more often than going at a defenseman and trying to beat him.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

Consistency but it will come in time.
He's a gooder.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Ehlers, needs to start adding some pts, or all this good play wont matter. he needs to be able to find ways to contribueonnthe scoresheet. if he continues like this, no way he beats his 38pts from last season.

Both Marner and Nylander seem to find ways, on imo a worse overall team.

Indeed a sophmore slump this season so far.

While I agree with you that he needs to produce more pts, I think it's a bit early to jump to conclusions. Definitely wouldn't call it a sophomore slump yet. I have liked most of his games so far. I think the lack of points has a lot to do with him playing with new line mates throughout pretty much every game. Either because of injury or them trailing. It's hard to find consistently when the team is being shuffled around like it's still preseason.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
Ehlers has only 1 multi point game in every 21 games so far in NHL and only one multi goal game ever. I think that tells the story about him well. He has a lot of finesse and is fun to watch, but he needs to find a way to make some points and help his team on the score sheet.

Im dissapointed with his start to the season I have to admit. His produce so far in his carreer has been like a 3rd liner. I believe in him tho, and I have to remember that the kid is only 20. I just have high hopes for him to become a real star not just on his team but also in the league. Perhaps I think his talent is bigger than it actually is, idk,,,,,,,,,,, f..k I keep forgetting kid is only 20

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Ehlers has only 1 multi point game in every 21 games so far in NHL and only one multi goal game ever. I think that tells the story about him well. He has a lot of finesse and is fun to watch, but he needs to find a way to make some points and help his team on the score sheet.

Im dissapointed with his start to the season I have to admit. His produce so far in his carreer has been like a 3rd liner. I believe in him tho, and I have to remember that the kid is only 20. I just have high hopes for him to become a real star not just on his team but also in the league. Perhaps I think his talent is bigger than it actually is, idk,,,,,,,,,,, f..k I keep forgetting kid is only 20

Weird, because I think he's trying harder than anyone else right now and is controlling he puck better.

It's disappointing he can't finish, but really look at how the jets are playing and look at how much they keep moving him around.
They guy can become an assist machine and open the ice a lot of wih his skating/speed

I'm really not too worried. I blame managemen/injuries and the entire team

Ehlers on another team would tear it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad