Speculation: Nikolai Kulemin 2012?

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
I'll start off by saying, Kulemin is my favourite Leaf, so this may be slanted.

Last year Kulemin clearly was not playing up to the level he can. (In 2010 he was the 2nd highest scoring Russian in the NHL).

Based on his PPG play in the KHL (albeit with Malkin), I think Kulemin may have cast aside the demons that (I think) came from the plane crash of his friends, and is going to be great this year.

Thoughts?
What do you think his stats will look like?
Where does he fit in the lineup and who's he gonna play with?

Amp3d

Feb 8, 2010
I think he will be back in the 25g-50pt range. I'm looking forward to him this year.

I'll be happy with 35pts in 48 games. Not sure its realistic to expect him to exceed PPG this season, though he is in midseason form and has the upper hand on some of the guys.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010

Last year Kulemin clearly was not playing up to the level he can. (In 2010 he was the 2nd highest scoring Russian in the NHL).

Based on his PPG play in the KHL (albeit with Malkin), I think Kulemin may have cast aside the demons that (I think) came from the plane crash of his friends, and is going to be great this year.

Thoughts?

I'm expecting a good season from Kulemin. I agree, he seems to have his mojo back, from the sound of things.

I think he can pot a few goals. 10-15 in the shortened season. I think he will either play with Grabo on the second line (they have chemistry and we need to hit the ground running), or on line 3 with Connolly and Kadri (bringing a defensive element).

I cant wait for games so we can all see our fan favourite again.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
I'm obviously biased, too. But he's 1 of only 2 players to score 30 on this team. He finished over a PPG in the K and led the league in +/-. Very few players in the league are entering their camps with that head of steam. Yeah, he played with Malkin, but he was also a force and didn't look out of place at all. Grabo was playing with Dats and Radulov a lot of the time and didn't have the kind of numbers Kuli did. If you want Kuli's offensive game to stay at the reinvigorated level it's at, it would be a pretty stupid move to make him a 3rd line checker with McClement or Connolly.

My prediction is a 65 point season (or whatever its equivalent is this season) with Grabo and JVR. I really think he's Selke caliber.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Anything above 7 goals and I'll be happy. Unless he has like 40 assists.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
I personally don't see him at a PPG, but in 48 games, considering the amount in-conference, 36-40 points doesn't seem out of a question. Id love it if he played with JVR (if healthy) and Grabo

JVR Grabovski Kulemin sounds pretty sweet if you ask me

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Kulemin-Kadri-Mac have been practicing together the past 2 days, I could see that line putting up some good points considering both Kadri and Kulemin have been playing all year

Leafs For Life*

So with the practice lines, is it realistic to expect a top 9 of
Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Frattin
Kule-Kad-Mac
?
(With a preferable Komarov-McClement-Brown/Hamilton 4th I would hope)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So with the practice lines, is it realistic to expect a top 9 of
Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Frattin
Kule-Kad-Mac
?
(With a preferable Komarov-McClement-Brown/Hamilton 4th I would hope)

I think that is exactly what we will start with.

If Bozak goes in a Luongo deal, then plug Connolly on the top line

TML g u n n e R s*

i think kulie was practicing with JVR and grabo before JVR got injured..

I would love this line

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I think this is a very interesting topic

I'm a big fan of Nikolai Kulemin, but when he had the 30 goal, 57 point season, I thought that Leaf fans began to over hype him. That was a very good season, but that line just got really hot at one stretch of the season, which would be hard to match.

I'd be happy if Nikolai gets 18-22 goals, and 50+ points while playing a strong defensive game.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
He's my favourite leaf too, but I'd just like to correct you and say that he was the 4th highest scoring (3rd in goals) Russian that year. Still very good and I hope he can continue that level of play.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
He'll probably end up on the 3rd line, and won't get much PP time. I don't expect more than 15-20 points from him in that case.

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009

Thoughts?

don't forget he and his wife had a baby early last season too, I'm sure that caused havoc in his life

i expect a big bounce back

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I don't ever try to predict stats but from what I've read from training camp reports, Kulemin is said to be the best player on the ice right now. If he's making a strong case for himself, even if he lands on the third line, I think he'll still get PP time. I would like to see a line of JVR-Grabo-Kulemin and I have a feeling that JVR and Grabo are pretty much locked for the second line. Unless Mac is going to switch wings, I think Kulemin will have a place in the top 6.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
I don't ever try to predict stats but from what I've read from training camp reports, Kulemin is said to be the best player on the ice right now. If he's making a strong case for himself, even if he lands on the third line, I think he'll still get PP time. I would like to see a line of JVR-Grabo-Kulemin and I have a feeling that JVR and Grabo are pretty much locked for the second line. Unless Mac is going to switch wings, I think Kulemin will have a place in the top 6.

Assuiming JVR and Grabo are locks, a playmaker would be ideal to complete the line. Mac's played either wing, and Kadri's also an option.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
I have this feeling that the following 4 players could see a lot of significant ice time.

- Kulemin
- McClement
- Steckel
- Komarov

They all seem like guys Carlye will lean on in his type of system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad