Confirmed Signing with Link: Nikolai Khabibulin signs 1 year contract with Torpedo in the KHL

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
50 years old, hasn't played in almost a decade.

I'm sure he'll be fine
Well, the goalie coach saw him in practice and decided it will be fine. Yes, the goalie coach is also Nikolai Khabibulin, but that doesn't matter here. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, he likely will get just one or two games anyway, as he replaces the 3rd goalie, who so far played exactly 0 games this season. Still I hope that he will play in the game against Spartak and Kovalchuk. :naughty:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Sorry what? This is so weird to me lol. Is this a legit think for any knowledgeable KHL watchers? Will he be playing games? @Caser @Kshahdoo
I feel I somehow already answered that here :) :

Well, the goalie coach saw him in practice and decided it will be fine. Yes, the goalie coach is also Nikolai Khabibulin, but that doesn't matter here. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, he likely will get just one or two games anyway, as he replaces the 3rd goalie, who so far played exactly 0 games this season. Still I hope that he will play in the game against Spartak and Kovalchuk. :naughty:

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
giphy.gif

Hes not Jagr, what is he doing?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Huzzah for an excuse to share a Khabibulin anecdote that I didn't know until a few years back. I missed most of the 1998 Olympics due to school + time difference + Team USA bowing out early. There was a thread on the history of hockey board with some highlights of the Gold Medal game and I was surprised that Mikhail Shtalenkov was in net for the Russians. Then I was shocked when I looked up the roster and Khabibulin wasn't even on the team.

The story behind that was amusing. In 1992, Khabibulin was the young third string goalie on the post-Soviet breakup unified team which won Gold. Viktor Tikhonov was still the head coach but figured his time with that job would be coming to an end. Coaches don't receive medals and Tikhonov felt like he deserved one, so he essentially took Khabibulin's. Khabibulin was understandably upset about that but didn't speak out since he was young. He'd play for Team Russia at the 1996 World Cup but refused to play in 1998 since most of the old guard still held positions of power.

Slava Fetisov took over in time for the 2002 Olympics and was able to get Khabibulin back on the team. The IOC also presented Khabibulin with a replacement medal.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I'm having major flashbacks to the 98 playoffs when Fedorov bounced a puck off the JLA end boards and it went off Khabibulin and in.

That was 25 years ago and he had already been in the NHL for like 5 years at that point.

Reactions: G Backup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad