Player Discussion Nikita Scherbak - Stay In Yo Lane Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
We always knew Scherbak was a brute talent when he was drafted. These types of players can take time to develop. Unfortunately, Sly was mainly the one developing.

Let's give him until he's 25 to see what kind of player he'll become. Patience. It's not like we're contending over the next two years anyways.

I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be better than Galchenyuk and Drouin. Hockey people that have covered the Rocket/Bulldogs like Marc Denis and Dan Ratherson talk about how his talent level is off the charts. He can control the pp and the play like only few can.

Even playing under awful coaching in the AHL, he increased his points per game from 0.48 to 0.62 to 1.15, he's still only 22 and he's shown progression in his production which is a positive sign. It is a shame our centres are so bad offensively, guys like Hudon/Scherbak would look a lot better playing with decent centres instead of guys like Logan Shaw or Plekanec.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Even playing under awful coaching in the AHL, he increased his points per game from 0.48 to 0.62 to 1.15, he's still only 22 and he's shown progression in his production which is a positive sign. It is a shame our centres are so bad offensively, guys like Hudon/Scherbak would look a lot better playing with decent centres instead of guys like Logan Shaw or Plekanec.

In my mind we're really only 1 center away: Danault is an excellent 3c and Chucky can either become a #1c or an excellent 2c. So many poor decisions by this management team.

Reactions: VAN-HAB

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
The same was posted in the past about Price, Subban, McDonagh, Pacioretty, etc... You must have been happy when Gainey was on the same page with you re: McDonagh.

Subban McDonagh Pacioretty Price had prove me something ! like Juulsen and Poehling. Scherbak, I have 0 thrust in him

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
The entire defense needs to be overhauled too

I was just talking about the center position.

On D we have Weber and Petry. We'll see if Mete and Juulsen are ready. Rielly has to take his game up a notch. And Alzner, Benn, and Schlemko are all potential bottom pair partners for Juuslen. So it's up to Mete and Rielly as to whether we're 2, 1, or 0 left handed dmen away.

Reactions: WinterLion

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
In my mind we're really only 1 center away: Danault is an excellent 3c and Chucky can either become a #1c or an excellent 2c. So many poor decisions by this management team.

Seriously, neither Galchenyuk nor Drouin are solutions at C. Enough with the nostalgia....

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
A few good moments from last season...
So much talent. Let's hope he can stay healthy and spend the whole season with Galchenyuk/in the top six

I love his reaction on that 1st goal, looks like a 15 year veteran scoring a goal to put his team up 6-1, just so freaking cool about it

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Seriously, neither Galchenyuk nor Drouin are solutions at C. Enough with the nostalgia....

I think Galchenyuk can learn the defensive side of the position. He's already shown he can excel at the offensive end.

If you look at my past posts in this thread, I'd rather get another center and move Danault to the wing.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I love his reaction on that 1st goal, looks like a 15 year veteran scoring a goal to put his team up 6-1, just so freaking cool about it

There aren't too many players that can do the things he can do with the puck. Then again, the same can be said of Drouin.

Coaching will be huge for both of them. We need a coach that can be patient with them, but at the same time help them progress and learn to have an impact instead of giving a skill exhibition with no results.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Do you realize Montreal played 80% of their games against back up goalies and our best point better was Gallagher at 106th with only 54 points. We got shutout 11 times if I remember correctly. This team needs to be blown up.

This is 100% a fabrication as the Habs absolutely did not play over 65 games against back-ups.

Reactions: ottawa

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
We are actually seeing a logjam of wingers who are or could be top-6 guys.
Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Byron, Hudon, Lehkonen, and now Sherback and very likely Zadina as well.

I think at a minimum we need to trade Byron and one of Pacioretty/Galchenyuk before training camp just to open up spots for the young guys.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Never saw that, but, while he often demonstrated he has a great personality, damn, this video showed me more of it, kid is hilarious ! (and his girlfriend is a bombshell... damn !)

He always seemed the opposite of big headed, and seems happy go lucky. But, to be a very good NHLer or a star, he's going to need a high compete level. We'll see what his work ethic/compete level is and his training habits.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
He always seemed the opposite of big headed, and seems happy go lucky. But, to be a very good NHLer or a star, he's going to need a high compete level. We'll see what his work ethic/compete level is and his training habits.

If he's as dedicated to hockey as he is video games, everything should be good.

Reactions: Habs100

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
If he's as dedicated to hockey as he is video games, everything should be good.
All I can say is that he seems to have improved. I'd rate him ahead of Hudon, but that's not making him a first line player. Again, I'll express my disappointment with Drouin. He should be playing better at this point in his career. The Habs gave up an excellent D prospect to get him. Let's hope their 2018 first rounder is good enough to play in the NHL without a lengthy apprenticeship in Laval. I've all but given hope of seeing Tavares in the bleu blanc rouge.

Although I was recently diagnosed with cancer I'm not experiencing noticeable health problems and I won't undergo surgery. However, I hope too see the Habs become serious contenders before symptoms interfere with my enjoyment.

Last edited:

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
The guy is frail as hell though.

He got his concussion at the end of the season by trying to go full steam into the corner with Dustin Byfuglien. Not too many 22 year olds would come out of that without a concussion. They're still working with him on his intensity and compete level. But someone needs to show him how to be carefull going into the corners and the boards with intensity, but also no over extending himself. That's how he got injured the first time this year.

Injuries are my only concern with Scherbak. If he can stay healthy he'll either be a top six winger or a first line winger.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
All I can say is that he seems to have improved. I'd rate him ahead of Hudon, but that's not making him a first line player. Again, I'll express my disappointment with Drouin. He should be playing better at this point in his career. The Habs gave up an excellent D prospect to get him. Let's hope their 2018 first rounder is good enough to play in the NHL without a lengthy apprenticeship in Laval. I've all but given hope of seeing Tavares in the bleu blanc rouge.

Although I was recently diagnosed with cancer I'm not experiencing noticeable health problems and I won't undergo surgery. However, I hope too see the Habs become serious contenders before symptoms interfere with my enjoyment.
True! He has improved a little and a potential second liner next year and seeing Tavares yes! And I hope you have a good recovery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad