Prospect Info: Nikita Popugaev

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
man, i remember @StevenToddIves and the rest of our board were so high on rubtsov. crazy how he flopped

edit: maybe not flopped yet, but not eyepopping

Popugayev is a bit of a cautionary tale, but ultimately I'd say he was a good 4th round pick, even if he busts. The fact is that he started his 2016-17 draft-eligible campaign as a universally-considered 1st round certainty, then the 6'6 winger scored 51 points in 40 games for Moose Jaw of the WHL.

There were certainly problems with his compete level and questions about his hockey IQ. There were whispers about his head both on and off the ice, to be honest. But in the 4th round, it's okay to take a chance on a prospect with Popugayev's unique mix of size, shooting and skill. So, I'm fine with picks like this -- in fact I'd far prefer them over later Devils 4th round picks on players like Edwards and Malek.

Still, Popugayev remains a cautionary tale. The major difference in my rankings -- especially in contrast to some of the more stat-based evaluators -- remains my emphasis on intangibles, especially compete level and hockey IQ. I often state that players who excel in these intangibles are more likely to approach their talent ceiling, while those who lack in them are more likely to... well, wind up being Popugayev.

Rubtsov's fall has been a bit baffling to me, because he was a smart player who seemed to have a good compete. I'd have to say he's just one of the rare cases where a player does not progress from his draft eligible campaign at a steep enough curve. Which is to say, he was a very good player when he was drafted, he just never got too much better while the competition did improve significantly around him. He's also a bit of a cautionary tale, in that his best showings as a draft-eligible were in tournament play, and this shot him up the rankings. Steve Kournianos in particular consistently cautions against over-rating week-long tourneys when assessing prospects -- and yet a poor U-18 tourney probably was responsible for dropping a terrific prospect like Simon Robertsson to the 3rd round while a terrific performance in the same tourney probably rose good-but-not-great bottom six C candidate Wyatt Johnston to #23 overall.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Popugayev is a bit of a cautionary tale, but ultimately I'd say he was a good 4th round pick, even if he busts. The fact is that he started his 2016-17 draft-eligible campaign as a universally-considered 1st round certainty, then the 6'6 winger scored 51 points in 40 games for Moose Jaw of the WHL.

There were certainly problems with his compete level and questions about his hockey IQ. There were whispers about his head both on and off the ice, to be honest. But in the 4th round, it's okay to take a chance on a prospect with Popugayev's unique mix of size, shooting and skill. So, I'm fine with picks like this -- in fact I'd far prefer them over later Devils 4th round picks on players like Edwards and Malek.

Still, Popugayev remains a cautionary tale. The major difference in my rankings -- especially in contrast to some of the more stat-based evaluators -- remains my emphasis on intangibles, especially compete level and hockey IQ. I often state that players who excel in these intangibles are more likely to approach their talent ceiling, while those who lack in them are more likely to... well, wind up being Popugayev.

Rubtsov's fall has been a bit baffling to me, because he was a smart player who seemed to have a good compete. I'd have to say he's just one of the rare cases where a player does not progress from his draft eligible campaign at a steep enough curve. Which is to say, he was a very good player when he was drafted, he just never got too much better while the competition did improve significantly around him. He's also a bit of a cautionary tale, in that his best showings as a draft-eligible were in tournament play, and this shot him up the rankings. Steve Kournianos in particular consistently cautions against over-rating week-long tourneys when assessing prospects -- and yet a poor U-18 tourney probably was responsible for dropping a terrific prospect like Simon Robertsson to the 3rd round while a terrific performance in the same tourney probably rose good-but-not-great bottom six C candidate Wyatt Johnston to #23 overall.
I didn't follow this year's crop too closely, but wasn't tournament play why mason McTavish got hyped right before draft?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I didn't follow this year's crop too closely, but wasn't tournament play why mason McTavish got hyped right before draft?

Yes, it certainly contributed. But I should add that McTavish -- like Johnston -- lost their entire OHL season to the pandemic, so maybe I jumped the gun context wise in saying Johnston was taken too soon. I mean, the U-18 was pretty much the only viable way to assess OHL prospects like McTavish and Johnston.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Can someone clarify the situations with all of the Russians? When does each guy's time run out to sign?

Popugaev
Zaitsev
Misyl
Gritsyuk
Mukhamadulin
Bardakov (know he was just drafted, but is there word on how quickly he gets out of Russian control. Next season or even the end of this one?

How about the Czech, Jakub Malek?

I know the date on Pakkila, Pytlik, and Baumgartner is 6/1/22, but what is the skinny on whether or not they even plan to come over or whether or not NJ even wants them?

I know Pasic has another year to 6/1/23, but what's the deal with him.

Maybe this should go in the prospects thread?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The Devils no longer have Popugaev's rights - he is a defected player from junior and therefore had 4 years to sign a contract and that 4 years ended in June - but KHL rights are held indefinitely.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Can someone clarify the situations with all of the Russians? When does each guy's time run out to sign?

Popugaev
Zaitsev
Misyl
Gritsyuk
Mukhamadulin
Bardakov (know he was just drafted, but is there word on how quickly he gets out of Russian control. Next season or even the end of this one?

How about the Czech, Jakub Malek?

I know the date on Pakkila, Pytlik, and Baumgartner is 6/1/22, but what is the skinny on whether or not they even plan to come over or whether or not NJ even wants them?

I know Pasic has another year to 6/1/23, but what's the deal with him.

Maybe this should go in the prospects thread?
If you go to the New Jersey Devils page at Cap Friendly and go to “Reserve List” they list all the unsigned players and the dates of their team rights expire.

New Jersey Devils Reserve List Players - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Elite Prospects lists dates for contracts, that’s what I go by.
Mukhamadulin 21/22 - Definitely, Fitz said they want to bring him over after this year.
Bardakov 21-22 - sure as shit hope so, he seems fun.
Misyul 22/23 - Probably if he’s playing big minutes in the KHL by the end of his deal.
Gritsyuk 22/23 - maybe, assuming he’s a productive winger in the KHL by then.
Zaitsev 22/23 - doubt it.

Jakub Malek - Most likely at some point, but he’s 19 and will play in Czech Republic for a while.

I’m guessing Pytlik signs and Pakkila doesn’t. Baumgartner seems unlikely but maybe. Pasic’s production in SHL isn’t particularly thrilling but who knows.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
If you go to the New Jersey Devils page at Cap Friendly and go to “Reserve List” they list all the unsigned players and the dates of their team rights expire.

New Jersey Devils Reserve List Players - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Elite Prospects lists dates for contracts, that’s what I go by.
Mukhamadulin 21/22 - Definitely, Fitz said they want to bring him over after this year.
Bardakov 21-22 - sure as shit hope so, he seems fun.
Misyul 22/23 - Probably if he’s playing big minutes in the KHL by the end of his deal.
Gritsyuk 22/23 - maybe, assuming he’s a productive winger in the KHL by then.
Zaitsev 22/23 - doubt it.

Jakub Malek - Most likely at some point, but he’s 19 and will play in Czech Republic for a while.

I’m guessing Pytlik signs and Pakkila doesn’t. Baumgartner seems unlikely but maybe. Pasic’s production in SHL isn’t particularly thrilling but who knows.

Thanks for this effort. Appreciate it.

After all the time I have spent on the computer dealing with hockey, particularly HF, you'd think I'd know that. I'm usually on CapFriendly at least once a day.:oops:

Beastdog75

C'mon Dougie, swat him he's a fly!
Dec 18, 2005
Brick, NJ
Reactions: Guttersniped

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008

INZpdYBBJ72-8vYyTROjFkH8P2gCDG9iAGUv5TJ-t9sAR5kXCqEbfHbMwF1dwOghxw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad