Prospect Info: Nikita Popugaev

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
What happened to this guy, feel like I haven't heard his name in a loooong time. I remember being excited about the Devils picking him, big right shot winger with good upside.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
We took a home run swing on high upside in the 4th round but it didn't pan out. Looks like he's still on our reserve list according to CapFriendly. He'll be in the KHL this season but I wouldn't hold my breath for a Sharangovich-esque unexpected breakout.

Reactions: HugeInTheShire

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
What happened to this guy, feel like I haven't heard his name in a loooong time. I remember being excited about the Devils picking him, big right shot winger with good upside.

Most players get better as they age into maturity and he did not. Was a fringe AHLer, didn't dominate the ECHL like a player with his pedigree should, and is now a 4th/5th line KHLer. Playing for 7 teams in 4 years can't help, but I imagine this is a case where teams see a talented player and keep taking a chance.

Reactions: HugeInTheShire

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Most players get better as they age into maturity and he did not. Was a fringe AHLer, didn't dominate the ECHL like a player with his pedigree should, and is now a 4th/5th line KHLer. Playing for 7 teams in 4 years can't help, but I imagine this is a case where teams see a talented player and keep taking a chance.

Sucks, I was just scrolling the steals of the 2017 draft and saw his name, hadn't thought of him in a long time
I was hopeful that he'd make the NHL but that ain't happening

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Thought we lost his rights, either way he wont ever make it over here so it doesnt matter

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Pop at 2017 Development Camp. Dude is huge. Too bad his game wasn't.

IMG_0547.jpg
IMG_0765.jpg

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He had a good shot. But that is about it. Really ended up playing pretty lazily and was not a good skater.
Ya, low motor guy. And in addition to being low motor in the near term, those types of guys tend to lag in terms of development.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
IIRC he had a pretty great 1st half of his draft season, people were talking about him being a 1st rounder. Then he was traded and his game fell off a cliff. He dropped to the 4th round and we decided to take a flyer on him thinking if he could turn it around we might have a steal on our hands. He never turned it around. Didn't do anything in the AHL, was okay but not great in the ECHL.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
IIRC he had a pretty great 1st half of his draft season, people were talking about him being a 1st rounder. Then he was traded and his game fell off a cliff. He dropped to the 4th round and we decided to take a flyer on him thinking if he could turn it around we might have a steal on our hands. He never turned it around. Didn't do anything in the AHL, was okay but not great in the ECHL.
That's about it

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
His 6 points (1G 5A) in 25 games in the KHL, is .24 PPG and that’s tied for 47th among U23 forwards in the KHL.

It’s better a PPG than German Rubtsov, who had 11 points (3G 8A) in 46 games (.23 PPG), and the Flyers took him 22OA in the 2016 draft. (Rubtsov more of a defensive minded two-way player but I’m going to still mock his production because f*** the Flyers.)

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Didn't he asked to be traded? I thought even then there were some motivational concerns.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
His 6 points (1G 5A) in 25 games in the KHL, is .24 PPG and that’s tied for 47th among U23 forwards in the KHL.

It’s better a PPG than German Rubtsov, who had 11 points (3G 8A) in 46 games (.23 PPG), and the Flyers took him 22OA in the 2016 draft. (Rubtsov more of a defensive minded two-way player but I’m going to still mock his production because f*** the Flyers.)
man, i remember @StevenToddIves and the rest of our board were so high on rubtsov. crazy how he flopped

edit: maybe not flopped yet, but not eyepopping

Reactions: Guttersniped

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce