Prospect Info: Nikita Popugaev

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Im happy for the guy he can get some money, but I hope he will be in thousands miles away from Devils ever. Even if he will score 30 in KHL somehow this season, or next season, or in every season next ten years.
I’ll be impressed if he actually establishes himself as a scoring forward in the KHL for any real length of time.

This is his fifth KHL team and he’s a cartoonishly one dimensional player.

But Popi didn’t play any hockey at last season, so good for him to get try out, make it, and move up the line-up.

The production could be fluky, he’s shooting 22%, but he’s shooting puck more per game.

Reactions: nugg and Guadana

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I’ll be impressed if he actually establishes himself as a scoring forward in the KHL for any real length of time.

This is his fifth KHL team and he’s a cartoonishly one dimensional player.

But Popi didn’t play any hockey at last season, so good for him to get try out, make it, and move up the line-up.

The production could be fluky, he’s shooting 22%, but he’s shooting puck more per game.

He had 2 goals in 70 KHL games before this, I assume most of his time was spent on the 5th line but that's still pretty awful.

But yeah, I assume he will not keep up the good play and will be banished to the 4th or 5th line again. I cannot help but marvel at all the places he has played hockey - almost nobody in the world has been to Prince George, Binghamton, and Khabarovsk, but he has called all three home.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He had 2 goals in 70 KHL games before this, I assume most of his time was spent on the 5th line but that's still pretty awful.

But yeah, I assume he will not keep up the good play and will be banished to the 4th or 5th line again. I cannot help but marvel at all the places he has played hockey - almost nobody in the world has been to Prince George, Binghamton, and Khabarovsk, but he has called all three home.

Most of the players on the 5th line are 1 of the 2 cap hit free junior players KHL teams can have on their roster. If he’s not producing it’s hard to see him playing, he doesn’t exactly have a 200 ft game.

I’d guess after not playing for a year, and not playing a ton the season before, that his in-game conditioning will become an issue at some point. If his work ethic is an issue than it will be sooner than later.

Sochi is very bad, they spend no money (parity isn’t a exactly a thing in the KHL), so he can probably maintain his ice time as long he show any offensive pulse.

He’s been on Neftehimik Nizhnekamsk, Amur Khabarovsk, and now HK Sochi. Popi’s made a nice little tour of the KHL’s worst teams. He could run out of cheap bottom feeders if he moves on again. (He hasn’t played for Severstal Cherepovets yet, not sure what other teams qualify.)

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Popi cannot be stopped, can he even be contained?

1D5A5466-02D5-432C-8C61-BD2C2EBEC6AE.jpeg

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey

They ice 5 lines?!?

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Looks like he's no longer on Sochi's roster despite leading the team in scoring or thereabouts in fewer games?

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Looks like he's no longer on Sochi's roster despite leading the team in scoring or thereabouts in fewer games?
So he’s either been called up to the devils or is going back to being a YouTuber or whatever it is he was trying to do

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Looks like he moved to SKA St. Petersburg, but cooled off significantly there. 2 assists in 13 games after scoring 14 in 28 games for Sochi.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He was traded to SKA St Petersburg on 11/18. He’s averaged 9:32 in 13 games but his numbers have had a sharp decline.

They started at 16-12 minutes in the first 5 games and mostly have been 6-8 minutes in the most recent ones.

It wasn’t likely to work out with him immediately producing on his new team but he had 8 points in 9 games right before the trade with SKA and they plunder the KHL at will. (He had averaged 13:02 in 28 GP, scoring 14 points with 9 goals.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad